2012 Transmission torque management

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2007-2012 Acura RDX
Bills07si

2012 Transmission torque management

Post by Bills07si »

I have a 12 rdx and with just flaspro and intake mod my trans shifted perfect , no issues at. Now that i have blouch turbo , rv6 downpipe, id1050s , 3.5 " maf housing my transmission shifts really weird. I wish doug would give us acess to trans line pressure like other programners have acess to. Has any testing been done on 2012 rdx as far as transmission goes ? Is there any way of us knowing if this issue is computer related? Vit viper is tuning me now .
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: 2012 Transmission torque management

Post by Spunkster »

No testing has been done on transmission parameters as we do not make adjustments to transmission variables. More than likely this has to do with the recalibration of the AFM for the larger MAF housing. You should try the stock AFM housing and see if that resolves the issue.
D-Rob

Post by D-Rob »

I assume the AFM reports load directly to transmission control; kind of like the later model CTS-V's.

The way they get around monkeying with the AFM curve on those is to make modifications only to the stoich table on the GM PCM's. Unfortunately, I don't think this will work for the RDX ECU.
Bills07si

Post by Bills07si »

Spunkster wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:58 pm No testing has been done on transmission parameters as we do not make adjustments to transmission variables. More than likely this has to do with the recalibration of the AFM for the larger MAF housing. You should try the stock AFM housing and see if that resolves the issue.
Hmm , as funny as this is , I was wondering about this all along. Out of everything I modified on the rdx , the only thing I had a slight clue that would possibly effect transmission is , The mass air flow housing. It is fully controlled by the ecu so the throttle position , and MAF are they only thing that would really control it based off load , rpm .

Ill message vit viper about It and see what he says. My only question is , how do I get around this? With the larger turbo wheel on compressor side from blouch turbo , Im pushing alot more air and the MAF is maxed out at 4.95 volt which is going limit how much power I make .
Bills07si

Post by Bills07si »

Spunkster wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:58 pm No testing has been done on transmission parameters as we do not make adjustments to transmission variables. More than likely this has to do with the recalibration of the AFM for the larger MAF housing. You should try the stock AFM housing and see if that resolves the issue.
Hey Spunkster , would giving us the option to tune the Rdx via speed density MAP solve this issue or NO? We had the ability to do this at one time on the 8th gen Si and ive sold mine some time ago so not sure what all is available for them at this point but that is beside the point anyway . I bought this RDX because of the potential it had to make nice hp numbers and now Im being limited to what I can make power wise because of the Maf housing . 16 revisions into it with Vit Viper well aware of whats going on and the issue is still there leaving me with the only option to return the maf to stock .
Bills07si

Post by Bills07si »

Hey Spunkster , do you guys have any plans at giving us a way to tune around this MAF issue? I switched back to stock Maf housing , ISSUE CORRECTED WITH TRANS however now I am pegging the MAF sensor at 80 percent throttle (hitting 4.98 volt) so now I cant take full advantage of the blouch turbo upgrade I have. We pay 695.00 for flashpro only to not have access to tune the rdx to its full potential . Its irritating . We need a way to tune around this asap please.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

The problem is that the AFM signal is shared between the engine computer and transmission computer. The FlashPro only reprograms the engine computer, so there is no FlashPro setting which will correct the transmission behavior.
How much are you changing the voltage of the AFM? If you try to reduce the voltage (increase the housing size) by as little as possible then the transmission controller would be happier.
Hondata
Bills07si

Post by Bills07si »

Hondata wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:11 am The problem is that the AFM signal is shared between the engine computer and transmission computer. The FlashPro only reprograms the engine computer, so there is no FlashPro setting which will correct the transmission behavior.
How much are you changing the voltage of the AFM? If you try to reduce the voltage (increase the housing size) by as little as possible then the transmission controller would be happier.
I understand the fact that flashpro does nothing directly to the transmission however its been said that tuning fuel off map (speed density ) would eliminate this issue. If indeed this platform can be tuned off the Map sensor why dont we have this function? Vit is the tuner so how much the settings had to be changed/lowered i do not know but to run the 3.5" housing i assume it was a good bit to make if shift /slip like it did. On stock maf housing im maxing the afm out at 80% throttle 14.5 psi. Its stupid that vit has to continue to turn the boost down just to eliminate maxing the afm out. I bet it will be down to only around 12 psi till we satisfy the afm and no longer are hitting 4.98 volt.
Theres a way around this and obviously you guys have no further plans on giving us what we need to do it. The 2007-08 rdx doesnt have this issue because it has a better /firmer shifting transmission because of the better tq convertor.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

How will switching to speed / density help the transmission computer? It will still use the AFM for its load calculation.
Hondata
Bills07si

Post by Bills07si »

Hondata wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:21 pm How will switching to speed / density help the transmission computer? It will still use the AFM for its load calculation.
Hondata,, You should already know this. Cant be all that difficult. You'd be able to use the stock AFM housing (and report the correct load to the transmission) while not having to worry about maxing out the AFM reading (since it would just be error'd out). Fueling would then be taken care of via the MAP sensor.

Like I said the RDX market is relatively small for you guys and we simply aren't getting the support from you versus the Civic guys. Derek Robinson at Innovative Motorworks is very popular tuner and even he thinks this will work . Hoping soon to have a solution to this whether its you guys or your closest competition. Thanks for helping me figure out the odd shifting that was going on ,because you were right with it being the larger Maf housing. Just now we need a way around this because spending 700.00 for a upgraded turbo from blouch turbo to make more power only to be VOLTAGE LIMITED BY THE AFM and Its completely ridiculous that this stock afm Is acting this way. With my Mods I should be able to make 310 plus whp and close to 400 wtq if not more but because of this im limited to stock boost pressure lol
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

It would only work if the transmission ECU does not throw an error once the AFM reaches maximum. Are you getting any transmissions errors if you max out the stock AFM?
Hondata
Bills07si

Post by Bills07si »

Hondata wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:04 pm It would only work if the transmission ECU does not throw an error once the AFM reaches maximum. Are you getting any transmissions errors if you max out the stock AFM?
No . No trans errors. If it was going to set a trans code it would have done so already.

Ive set P0103 code about 5 -6 times now . Mass or volume circuit high input . Vit had to just turn the boost down for now to satisfy the afm and keep it from hitting 4.98 volt until we come up with a better way to get around this . 4.98 is where it sets the code but again , NO TRANS CODES
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Ok, we'll look and see if we can add the speed / density fueling for the RDX.
Hondata
Bills07si

Post by Bills07si »

Hondata wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:27 pm Ok, we'll look and see if we can add the speed / density fueling for the RDX.
Thank you so much. I appreciate it and so will the rest of the Rdx guys that are running either larger turbo or in my case blouch turbo upgrade. Theres so much more potential in my setup so this is exciting . Thanks again.
Bills07si

Post by Bills07si »

Bills07si wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:46 pm
Hondata wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:27 pm Ok, we'll look and see if we can add the speed / density fueling for the RDX.

Hondata , just wondering if you have a timeline as to when you think (Map ) tuning will be available for our RDX ? Vit is waiting also because we cant make anymore power with me being voltage limited and he said he's already adjusted everything he can adjust so until we can tune off the MAP sensor were done tuning my car. I could run at least 21-22 psi on this turbo and we have it turned down to around 12 psi so there is a lot more power to be made on this turbo. Thanks