New to Hondata FlashPro; new to tuning ECM

2012+ US/Canadian Civic Si / 2013+ ILX
TittermaryAuto1

New to Hondata FlashPro; new to tuning ECM

Post by TittermaryAuto1 »

To start, I have the 2012 Civic Si. I recently purchased the car, it was mostly factory, a few lights were turned blue and the car lowered, then I installed the Skunk 2 Cold Air Intake. I started getting a lean code, so my first response, need bigger injectors... Long story short, the 650 cc FIC injectors over fixed the problem. Now I'm getting multiple trouble codes. So now that the story has been told, how do I use the Flash Pro to fix my mistakes?
EFICU

Re: New to Hondata FlashPro; new to tuning ECM

Post by EFICU »

TittermaryAuto1 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:33 pm To start, I have the 2012 Civic Si. I recently purchased the car, it was mostly factory, a few lights were turned blue and the car lowered, then I installed the Skunk 2 Cold Air Intake. I started getting a lean code, so my first response, need bigger injectors... Long story short, the 650 cc FIC injectors over fixed the problem. Now I'm getting multiple trouble codes. So now that the story has been told, how do I use the Flash Pro to fix my mistakes?
The main issue you're having stems from the Skunk 2 intake. That intake will cause the engine to run lean and other fueling issues because it designed to run with a speed density tune that utilizes data from the MAP sensor for fueling instead of the MAF sensor. The large diameter tube of the Skunk intake causes the MAF sensor to no longer deliver a proper reading to the ECU, which most likely caused your lean issue. Then, when you added injectors you brought another issue completely into the mix because the ECU isn't designed to control 650cc injectors in the stock tune. Basically, the only reason you were showing a lean condition with the Skunk intake is because it needs to be tuned for that intake, and transitioned to a speed density tune to make that happen, same thing with the Acuity any other 3.5" intakes for these cars and K Series.

Do you still have the OEM injectors? If so, are you willing to go back to those injectors, or are you set on using the 650's moving forward? With the 650s, you may have to do a lot of adjustments to get the cold start right and other things in the tune. If you put the stock injectors back in, then everything goes back to OEM in that area and will start and run like OEM. Then we can tune it for the Skunk 2 intake without any issues once you purchase a FlashPro. So it's totally up to you and which route you want to go.

In summary, you don't need the 650s at all unless you want to keep them for personal reasons. The OEM injectors are just fine for intake/DP/exhaust setups on most of these cars. So if you do have the OEM injectors, I would recommend going back to those to get you back to a more OEM setup. To use the 650's, we need to find out the injector data for those and we can try to get you something good. Tuning for driving is no problem, but cold start and stuff might take a lot of work and testing. With the OEM injectors, it will start and idle just fine, then we can tune for OEM injectors. And since it doesn't sound like you have yet purchased a FlashPro, I wouldn't recommend driving it until you get one and we can see some data. If you have purchased a FlashPro already, then let us know ASAP so someone can get you something to get things back inline.
TittermaryAuto1

I had to put new pig tails on for the new injectors, so I'm kind of stuck with the 650's. I have the flow chart for the new injectors. I have Fuel Injector Clinic data match sheet. Im also going to install a Stage 2 clutch pack and timing chain in the near future.
TittermaryAuto1

On another note, It does run fine, cold start and idle are no issue, the only problem is if I accelerate too fast, at 5000-6500 RPM it wont kick VTEC but lurches and sputters, lights an error code, and goes into safe mode, not allowing me to go over 2000 RPM.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Gotcha, so you are stuck with the injectors then. Since you have the FlashPro, go ahead and make a quick 10 minute datalog and post it up so we can see how things look as it is right now. I wouldn't recommend replicating the 5000-6500 Vtec issue you mention because that might be a little dangerous. But just take it out for a 10 minute datalog so we can see the codes you mention and how far off the fueling is. Just keep the driving normal and calm as to not stress things too much.

Also, post the injector voltage data so that can be implemented as well. Then hopefully we can gameplan something for your car based on what we see.
TittermaryAuto1

@12v 1.060ms 43.5 psi 3.0 bar 666 cc/min
Attachments
12-CivicSi.fpdl
(148.73 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah it's incredibly rich. Both short term and long term fuel trims are maxed and it's still running rich.

If you have the test card that came with the injectors, I need all the values by volts. Should read MS per 8v, 10v, 12v, 14v, 16v. We need those values to get started on it.

In the meantime, don't do any aggressive driving. Based on what I see here, I would guess it's incredibly rich in wide open throttle and could be the base of your vtec issue you mention.
TittermaryAuto1

Here is the card that came with the injectors.
Attachments
Injector Values.jpg
Injector Values.jpg (90.98 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah that is exactly what we need, perfect. So are you running a Hondata basemap, or is this datalogging the stock tune file?

Your only mod is the Skunk intake, everything else is stock for the DP and exhaust?
TittermaryAuto1

This is stock tune. I've not changed anything. The only mod is the Skunk 2 CAI and the injectors.
TittermaryAuto1

I also have the position of where each injector is installed.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Okay I've got the base file together for us. We will start you on the 0* cam angle so we can get some data before moving on. Since I don't have any base calibration for FIC 650s we will have to take the long route on tuning this for you, but I will try to get you through it as quick as we can.

Take this one for another 10 minute drive or so like the last one so we can get some quick data. Our normal datalogs will need to be 20-30 minutes in length, but for this first one, I just want some quick data to see where we're at before moving forward. Nothing aggressive, just smooth and normal like the last one you did is perfect. Then we will go from there.
TittermaryA.SD.Rev01.1 (0Cam)(Vtec5500).fpcal
(22.98 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
TittermaryAuto1

Here is Log 2. Ran rough on start up, should be in the log, cleared up, ran good during the test drive.
Attachments
12CivicSiLog2.fpdl
(339.28 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah the start issues were what I was worried about. I don't understand how you didn't have starting issue before honestly, but you never know I guess. The driving portion is a lot better though, no more rich code and the fuel trims are closer, but still need work of course.

Take this next one for a 20-30 minute datalog with as much stop and go type driving as possible. Try to avoid steady speed for long periods of time basically. On the drive, make one wide open throttle (WOT) pull from 2500-6000 in third gear so we can see what the WOT fueling looks like. Once we get some more data in this next datalog we won't need to tiptoe so much, just trying to gather some data before we start driving it too much.
TittermaryA.SD.Rev02 (0Cam)(Vtec5500).fpcal
(23.15 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
TittermaryAuto1

Here is the next log. It runs great! Way better than when I changed the injectors.
Attachments
12 CivicSi Log 3.fpdl
(664.72 KiB) Downloaded 70 times