2013 Fg4 short ram and Q300 cat back, need help with a basemap please!

2012+ US/Canadian Civic Si / 2013+ ILX
suburstfg4

2013 Fg4 short ram and Q300 cat back, need help with a basemap please!

Post by suburstfg4 »

Hello, first post and new to flashpro, vehicle has been on a reflash but got a deal on a flashpro so grabbed it up.

So I'm waiting on my catted downpipe to arrive from Full Race but of course it's on backorder forever..

Running the reflash for now and wondering if someone can point me in the direction of something more suitable until I get a full tune after I get all my parts in.

Thanks and look forward to being a part of the community!
EFICU

Re: 2013 Fg4 short ram and Q300 cat back, need help with a basemap please!

Post by EFICU »

It would be a good idea to datalog it with the current calibration in there to see how it looks. Because once you flash it you can’t get that calibration back. If it works well, you might run it as is until you modify it more. Then go from there.
suburstfg4

Post by suburstfg4 »

Thanks, I will data log asap! Just to clarify it is not a custom tune, just running on the reflash that comes on the flashpro menu if that makes sense.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Okay gotcha. If it's just a basemap then it's no big deal, but if someone made adjustments for the car you would lose that calibration is all. But yeah, we'll see what you get when you post a datalog and see which route is best.
suburstfg4

Post by suburstfg4 »

This wasnt the drive I wanted but it's something for data hopefully, got a half decent pull on the highway but mostly just normal driving.
Attachments
shortramcatback1.fpdl
(441.28 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah it's not terrible by any means. Definitely lots of room for improvement though. The WOT pulls in the future we will want to do in third gear, but the 5th gear tugs you did for a bit were definitely rich, and you only had a handful of knock.

Do you have any idea when the Full Race DP might show up? I know a lot of my guys have been waiting for their stuff from FR for a while, not a knock on FR, just the climate of the world right now with all the BS going on. Shows DR doesn't use junk materials, haha.
suburstfg4

Post by suburstfg4 »

Thanks so much for the input, will definitely take into consideration and post another.

As of last week it's supposed to ship in November, I ordered it and June and was originally pushed to August.. they have been quick to update at least. Like you said nothing against them, supply chain craziness continues.

Thanks again, will update asap.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah I feel like if Full Race used lower quality materials they would have these things in stock. But everything I have seen from Full Race is top notch, which is why they cost so much. Which I appreciate, they could probably source some cheap stuff for now and not tell anyone, but they choose to do things right, which I respect.

Okay, since there is a long way and a short way to tune these, I always recommend guys go the long route unless they have some change coming to their setup in the near future. If you want, we can tune it the short way using my stuff to get it where you can have fun and be safe, then when you get the DP installed we can redo it the long way. Otherwise, if you go the long route now, you almost have to redo the whole thing when the DP shows up. The short way is just as safe, but a little less detailed for your car as far as cam angle mapping goes. It would still be fun to drive, but we don't have the data the short way to build you a cam angle map specifically for your cars demands.

So let me know, happy to help in whatever capacity you would like.
suburstfg4

Post by suburstfg4 »

Agreed never read anything but good things about FR quality so I will just have to be patient lol.

Ahh gotcha makes sense. So yeah that would be awesome if we could get something for now and come back to it once I get the DP and that's how I plan to leave it, just looking for a more lively daily. Keep thiking about buying a rbc for the manifold swap and maybe switching to a cai but I also like the idea of stocking/OEM plus so think I'll be happy after I get around to a proper tune after dp.

Will be out first thing in the am for another round of data.

Btw I see you helping so many folks on here, very awesome of you. Do you have some kind of payment system worked out at all?
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having an FR turbo manifold hanging on the wall as art. Haha.

If you want to get started for tomorrow, let me know and I will send you a basemap to get started. For the datalogs, we basically want to get as much stop and go driving for 20-30 minutes as possible, and one wide open throttle (WOT) pull in third gear from 2500-7500 so we can work on the WOT fueling. With the first file, I always have you guys keep the driving normal and calm until I can look over the first datalog on my file, then after that you can have a little more fun with it. I like to make sure it's close before you get after it, so in the first one keep it down to normal driving and only do the one WOT pull in third.

Definitely research the RBC before you do it. The general consensus is you will lose midrange and gain a little on the top end. Also keep in mind if you get tuned for the OEM intake manifold, if you throw the RBC on with the same calibration in the ECU it will run terrible and may throw a check engine light due to lean or rich conditions. The RBC makes the fuel curve more like an 8th gen Si, where the OEM 9th gen has a very different fuel curve. Therefore, hence the problem is the fueling essentially is going different directions with the fuel curve. So at least be mindful that if you have a wild hair on weekend to change it, the tune needs to be adjusted prior to any driving to be safe. But yeah, I don't know there is much of a benefit, unless top end power is your goal, or if having an RBC just makes you happy. Let's face it, none of us NEED any mods, it's more about our wants, haha. But on the CAI, definitely recommend that route and always recommend guys get the filter as far away from the DP as you feel comfortable with. Meaning, K-Tuned makes a 3.5" intake that places the filter right behind the headlight but still in the engine bay, then they, Skunk2, and Acuity make them where the filter sits behind the bumper. If you don't feel comfortable with it behind the bumper, the K-Tuned behind the headlight is a great option. If you're okay with it behind the bumper that's great too, but any of the 3.5" variants work great. The ones that turn the filter right into the area of the DP will give you hot temps in the winter, and stupid hot temps in the summer, all of which rob HP and perhaps some drivability as 130*F and higher air into the engine isn't ideal for an NA K-Series for power.

For a lot of guys on here, they get freaked out and worried when it should be a fun process, so I like to reach out and help. Granted some guys do have legitimate issues or the calibration their on is very wrong for their car and I like to remove their stress. I enjoy doing it. I leave all money up to you guys, I tell people when they ask, if you're happy at the end and want to throw me a few bucks that's great, if not, that's fine too. I don't want people to make the decision between a safe tune or not based on their current financial situation. Some people take full advantage of the kindness, and some are very receptive and are incredibly thankful for the help, and some are grateful and throw a few bucks at me. But I don't say give me X amount of dollars or else I won't help you, that's not my main focus.

Anyways, let me know for tomorrow if you want to start on my basefile and go from there. I can post it for you to datalog tomorrow and we can go from there if you want.
suburstfg4

Post by suburstfg4 »

Wow you are a bank of info! Much appreciated.

Yeah as far as rbc I think I'm gonna leave it be. I like having that mid range especially on back roads and what not.

That's awesome, I really appreciate all the help and seeing someone doing what they can for others I'm the car community is always refreshing..

Yeah whenever you can post your basemap I will go ahead and get started. Thanks!
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Okay here is the first one to get us started. We will see how it likes vtec at 4500 and go from there. For the datalogs, remember to shoot for 20-30 minutes in length of stop and god driving, then only one WOT pull in third gear from 2500-7500rpm. Then once I can look over everything in the first datalog, you can have more fun with it in the next drive. And if you want the rev limiter lowered or anything, just let me know.

Suburst.SD.Rev01 (Blended)(Vtec4500).fpcal
(24.72 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
suburstfg4

Post by suburstfg4 »

EFICU wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:58 am Okay here is the first one to get us started. We will see how it likes vtec at 4500 and go from there. For the datalogs, remember to shoot for 20-30 minutes in length of stop and god driving, then only one WOT pull in third gear from 2500-7500rpm. Then once I can look over everything in the first datalog, you can have more fun with it in the next drive. And if you want the rev limiter lowered or anything, just let me know.

Suburst.SD.Rev01 (Blended)(Vtec4500).fpcal
Apologies for the delay had some of those damn responsibility pop up on me lol.

Did the best I could to follow your directions, uploaded and extra file wasn't sure if I actually got enough stop in go in the first large file.

Excited to see what comes next, I will be available mostly any evenings to get more data.

Thanks again, have a good one.
Attachments
main w wot.fpdl
(758.32 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
extra stop and go.fpdl
(292.79 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

No problem at all, I hate those things too. Haha

You did just fine in the first one. Overall it looked great for a start. I cleaned up some of the part throttle fueling and made some adjustments to the WOT fueling as well. We had a few knock in the normal area on the WOT pull for 9th gens, so I adjusted the ignition there for us too.

Looking at the vtec crossover, it looks like it would be a little happier at 5000 instead of 4500, see what you think on this next one. If you like it down at 4500 or more, we can do that, or somewhere in the middle. Your feedback is the most important as you feel it in the car, I'm just looking at data, haha.

Here is the next one. Same datalog and driving style like that first one you posted will work just fine. Based on how things look, I might lock you on the 30 cam for one datalog and the 15 for one to get some more data for the cam angle map. But for now, we will continue moving forward and see how it looks.
Suburst.SD.Rev02 (Blended)(Vtec5000).fpcal
(24.8 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
suburstfg4

Post by suburstfg4 »

Can never get back in the driver seat soon enough, sigh...lol.

So that felt a big improvement to me, I was tempted to get into it harder but mostly held off except for the main WOT pull.

I'm not sure but I think I may have revved a bit high? I usually don't go past 75-7600 rpm. I wish I could hit that 8k mark haha.

I like the vtec crossover where it is I think, felt natural and still good torque down low it seemed on the backroad. Maybe bring it just a tad, like 48.5k if you think that makes sense.

Other than that I felt a big difference in response and over all felt good,

I am noticing I have a damn exhaust leak i need to check out now:/, always something lol.

Here is the file, hope it all looks good!

Thanks in advance
Attachments
log#2.fpdl
(698.97 KiB) Downloaded 66 times