2014 civic si with k&n sri and magnaflow cat-back exhaust

2012+ US/Canadian Civic Si / 2013+ ILX
GabGagnon

2014 civic si with k&n sri and magnaflow cat-back exhaust

Post by GabGagnon »

Hello I'm new in the world of the hondata. I have a honda civic si 2014 with a k&n sri and a magnaflow cat-back exhaust. What base map I need to use? I try a base map and it doesn't feel good so I delete it, I wan one for my car.
Thank for your help.
Sorry I speak french so I will do my best to translate what I mean.
EFICU

Re: 2014 civic si with k&n sri and magnaflow cat-back exhaust

Post by EFICU »

Welcome to the world of Hondata. Which basemap did you try?

If you really want to try a Hondata basemap, I would probably say to try the “Short ram intake, cat delete, catback exhaust” under the 2014-2015 drop down menu. Even though you don't have a cat delete, it would probably be the closest one. The main thing is you want one that is speed density based using the MAP sensor for the intake you have. That one is. It will still need substantial changes in most cases to make it right and knock free.

If you want to do it the proper way, I can start you on one of my files and we tune each cam angle individually. Once they are all tuned, we blend out the cam angle based on the data. Usually takes about 10 revisions to get it dialed, all depends on knock and other issues that may be stubborn.

Let me know. We can help you whichever route you want to go.
GabGagnon

Post by GabGagnon »

Hello EFICU, thank you for your respond. I tried on my car the Hondata Us Factory setting basemap and it wasn’t what I expected. Can you give me your file? Or I can try with the short ram intake, cat delete and the cat-back exhaust basemap and upload it here. Thanks for your help.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah if you tried the factory settings map, that is essentially just the equivalent of a stock tune. You wouldn't see any noticeable performance power or drivability over your stock tune as they are the same.

Do you have time to do the 10 revision strategy, or are you trying to get this done very quick? When we tune each cam angle individually, I can build a more custom cam angle map for your car based on the data. If you're just wanting to make it good quickly, we can do a completed file and adjust it from there. Let me know what you think?

What octane fuel do you run? Are you French Canadian, or are you located somewhere else?
GabGagnon

Post by GabGagnon »

EFICU wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:28 am Yeah if you tried the factory settings map, that is essentially just the equivalent of a stock tune. You wouldn't see any noticeable performance power or drivability over your stock tune as they are the same.

Do you have time to do the 10 revision strategy, or are you trying to get this done very quick? When we tune each cam angle individually, I can build a more custom cam angle map for your car based on the data. If you're just wanting to make it good quickly, we can do a completed file and adjust it from there. Let me know what you think?

What octane fuel do you run? Are you French Canadian, or are you located somewhere else?
Hello, I wan it to do the better that I can, I don't want to broke my engine, I will take the time that it need. If it's 15 revision it's ok for me! I live in Quebec in Canada, I run 91 octane, but I can run 94, if it's better for the engine, I will do it with the 94 octane. Thank you for your help.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Sounds good. It would be better to tune it on 91, if we tune it on 94 you will only be able to run 94 octane from that point. If 91 is readily available, I would recommend using that so you don't run into issues. If we tune it on 94, and all you have is 91 available to you at that moment, knock is likely to occur. So if you're okay, let's stick with 91.

The datalogging process is the most important. We want the datalogs to be in the 20 minute range with normal stop and go type driving, stop light to stop light type driving. On your drive, we want to make one wide open throttle (WOT) in third gear from 2500-7600 rpms. Only make one WOT pull in third for these first few datalogs, that way we can get the fuel right before you get to have too much fun with it.

Here is the first revision. This will be on the 0* cam. This one will feel sort of sluggish because there is no cam angle in it. As we move up in cam angle, it will get stronger and stronger. Let me know if you have any questions.
GabGagnon.SD.Rev01.2 (Vtec4500)(0Cam).fpcal
(21.99 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
GabGagnon

Post by GabGagnon »

EFICU wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:17 am Sounds good. It would be better to tune it on 91, if we tune it on 94 you will only be able to run 94 octane from that point. If 91 is readily available, I would recommend using that so you don't run into issues. If we tune it on 94, and all you have is 91 available to you at that moment, knock is likely to occur. So if you're okay, let's stick with 91.

The datalogging process is the most important. We want the datalogs to be in the 20 minute range with normal stop and go type driving, stop light to stop light type driving. On your drive, we want to make one wide open throttle (WOT) in third gear from 2500-7600 rpms. Only make one WOT pull in third for these first few datalogs, that way we can get the fuel right before you get to have too much fun with it.

Here is the first revision. This will be on the 0* cam. This one will feel sort of sluggish because there is no cam angle in it. As we move up in cam angle, it will get stronger and stronger. Let me know if you have any questions.

GabGagnon.SD.Rev01.2 (Vtec4500)(0Cam).fpcal
All right sound good, I will download this file. It will take at least one hour because I need to figured out how to upload the file in the computer after the driving test.. I will watch a couple of video :) It's ok for me 91 octane, but what the big difference of the 93? More hp? Thanks a lot.
GabGagnon

Post by GabGagnon »

ok I finish the datalog, I wish it work! I did 20 minutes of classic road with stop and light. But I went on the higway.. I wish it's ok? I try one WOT in the third gear at like 16 minute. I stop before the red line because I was too close of a stop. Next time I will do it in a better road.

Oo and one other thing to tell you about, I remove one cat. On the 9th gen we have 2 cat, one big and one small, I remove the little one last month. I wish it's ok with this basemap. Thank you a lot!
Attachments
datalog001.fpdl
(5 MiB) Downloaded 76 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

There might be a few HP to gain with 93. Without a dyno though we can't extract every last HP out of it by testing ignition over and over along with other changes to see their impact in power. You should be pretty happy with it by revision 5 or 6 even on 91. The main problem comes in tuning it for 94, then you get stuck on a road trip with 91. I always like to tune for the octane most readily available, seems like the responsible thing to do in e-tuning.

I like your car already, that one looked great for a start. It was almost dead on for fueling, and no knock. Now we move onto the 15* cam angle. Your driving style in the datalog is great. Keep doing exactly what you're doing. You are populating a lot of data and the WOT pull was great.

Here is the next one for you.
GabGagnon.SD.Rev02 (15CAM).fpcal
(21.98 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
GabGagnon

Post by GabGagnon »

EFICU wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:45 pm There might be a few HP to gain with 93. Without a dyno though we can't extract every last HP out of it by testing ignition over and over along with other changes to see their impact in power. You should be pretty happy with it by revision 5 or 6 even on 91. The main problem comes in tuning it for 94, then you get stuck on a road trip with 91. I always like to tune for the octane most readily available, seems like the responsible thing to do in e-tuning.

I like your car already, that one looked great for a start. It was almost dead on for fueling, and no knock. Now we move onto the 15* cam angle. Your driving style in the datalog is great. Keep doing exactly what you're doing. You are populating a lot of data and the WOT pull was great.

Here is the next one for you.

GabGagnon.SD.Rev02 (15CAM).fpcal
All right, this is my second datalog, They have the same name... I wish I give you the right one. I don't know the time I did... I think I only made 15minutes... sorry next would be 20 minutes.. I did two WOT, one in straight road and the other was with an angle...

Thank you for your help it's really appreciated.
Attachments
datalog0002.fpdl
(4.18 MiB) Downloaded 69 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yiou're fine, you were at almost 17 minutes or so which is fine. We just don't want 8 minute datalogs as the averages are very low and not good to use.

That one looked really good. Now we move onto the 30* cam angle, take this one for the same type of drive and we'll see how it loos.

You're welcome, it's looking really good! Here is the next one.
GabGagnon.SD.Rev03 (30CAM).fpcal
(22.46 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
GabGagnon

Post by GabGagnon »

EFICU wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:50 pm Yiou're fine, you were at almost 17 minutes or so which is fine. We just don't want 8 minute datalogs as the averages are very low and not good to use.

That one looked really good. Now we move onto the 30* cam angle, take this one for the same type of drive and we'll see how it loos.

You're welcome, it's looking really good! Here is the next one.

GabGagnon.SD.Rev03 (30CAM).fpcal
Hello this is the Third one! I did 3 WOT.. Yeah Yeah I know I need only one, but I love rev!

Do you read the message that I was talking about my one cat-delete?

Thank you for your help!
Attachments
datalog0003.fpdl
(4.7 MiB) Downloaded 75 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

No problem, the tune is close enough where you can make a couple pulls. We're almost to the point where you will be able to make as many as you want, just another revision or two and I will let you loose to have more fun.

Yeah I saw the post about the cat. You're fine, it definitely seems to like your setup. Everything is looking good and linear.

Here is the next one for you. The is the 40* cam angle. Your setup may not utilize much of this cam angle, but it may. So let's tune it and then I will bne able to see how it all looks to build a cam angle map for you.

Take this one for the same type of drive.
GabGagnon.SD.Rev04 (40CAM).fpcal
(22.79 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
GabGagnon

Post by GabGagnon »

EFICU wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:46 pm No problem, the tune is close enough where you can make a couple pulls. We're almost to the point where you will be able to make as many as you want, just another revision or two and I will let you loose to have more fun.

Yeah I saw the post about the cat. You're fine, it definitely seems to like your setup. Everything is looking good and linear.

Here is the next one for you. The is the 40* cam angle. Your setup may not utilize much of this cam angle, but it may. So let's tune it and then I will bne able to see how it all looks to build a cam angle map for you.

Take this one for the same type of drive.

GabGagnon.SD.Rev04 (40CAM).fpcal
All right, here the new one. Sorry I was eating.
Attachments
datalog0004.fpdl
(4.13 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

No problem. So it looks like it might use some of the 40* for a small portion, so that's good. In this next one, I have vtec set at 5400 rpms so I can see the fueling under the vtec engagement to determine vtec engagement properly. This will give you a glmipse of what it will feel like, just vtec is a little high. Right now it looks like 4900 might be the sweet spot for vtec, but we will know after this one. Take this one for a drive, then we'll determine vtec and the next revisions will be the first glimpse of the final product.
GabGagnon.SD.Rev05 Blended (Vtec5400).fpcal
(23.31 KiB) Downloaded 81 times