Issues with old map after latest software/firmware update

Post by k24Brendan »

Car info for reference:
2014 Civic SI K24Z7
K&N SRI
FullRace Catted DP
Skunk2 Megapower RR catback
129xxx km

So I have been going to a dyno tuner to get my car done. Long story short, we ran into cooling issues and had to stop tuning for the day, and when he re-uploaded my old tune, I went to leave and the car started acting really weird.. at idle, it was jumping to 2000 rpm, then down to 1000rpm, back up to 2000, down to 1000, repeatedly. This obviously has never happened before, and we have re-uploaded the old tune to my car in the past with no issues.

The last time he uploaded my old cal was in September 2020 and the car ran fine. Due to COVID and other reasons, I wasn't able to get back to him until just recently. Before we could start, he had to update Flashpro Manager on his laptop, and he updated the firmware on the Flashpro. Then he downloaded and saved my old cal, and we started working on the new tune. Like I mentioned, we ran into cooling issues and had to stop the session. He then uploads the old cal I showed up with, and bam, 2000 rpm, 1000 rpm, 2000 rpm, 1000, etc.

When it first happened, we tried re-uploading the cal. Still the same thing happened.
Then we tried uploading the new cal we started working on that day, and sure enough the issue was not there, the car was idling just fine on the brand new cal we were working on.
So then we tried to upload the old file again. Same thing, 2k, 1k, 2k, 1k......
Tried uploading the old file that he has saved from September 2020.. same thing again 2k 1k 2k 1k...
New cal again, no issue, idles fine like nothing ever happened.

WTF????

Nothing was changed on my old cal, and the files from September and now are identical, nothing has changed. The only thing that has changed since September and now is a few software and firmware updates.

I have no idea what else could be the issue... I am dead set on believing that there is something with the latest software/firmware update that somehow corrupts the old cal when it gets uploaded to the ECU.... or just some strange compatibility issue with the old cal on the new software/firmware....

I had the understanding that once you update the software/firmware, and then download your old cal off the flashpro that it would update the cal to be compatible with the newest versions, but apparently that didnt happen, or like i mentioned above, there is a corruption happening when attempting to upload the old calibration...

He ended up making me a quick cal that I can drive on until I can make it back to him, which is not completed at all so not ideal..

I tried to do some troubleshooting on my own when i got home, turns out I had a copy of my old tune from 2017 when I first had it uploaded to the car.
So I updated the software on my laptop, and it jived with the firmware on the Flashpro, then I downloaded the cal that was on the Flashpro and saved it to my computer, then opened the old calibration from 2017, uploaded it to the ECU, and sure enough - the exact same issue, 2k rpm 1k rpm, etc. WTF DUDE.
So I download the file again, and save it under a new name hoping that when downloading the old cal off the ECU it will now update with the new software/firmware.... So I then re-upload the newly saved version of my old calibration and same thing... 2k 1k 2k 1k.......... I DONT UNDERSTAND.

I then re-uploaded the cal my tuner made me to tide me over, and the car is now back to running normally until I can make it back to him and we can finish making the new tune...

Any bit of help would be greatly appreciated!!!!! I have no idea wtf is going on. Really this is just until we finish my new tune, but still, he told me to not go hard on it at all until i come back and I need my daily doses of VTEC Yo!!! I want the old cal until the new one is finished!!!

-Brendan
EFICU

Re: Issues with old map after latest software/firmware update

Post by EFICU »

I should probably leave this one for the Hondata boys, as your post is essentially aimed directly at them. But, I have had similar issues with updates myself, nothing to the scale you mention from what I can remember. When I have had an issue, I always make sure my FlashPro Manager and the customers is on the same version, which has helped to repair issues in the past. Sometimes I have had to start a new calibration, and transfer the fueling and all my settings to get it to repair the issue. Sort of like your tuner did to get you back on the road.

With all that said, your tuner doesn't want to help you e-tune with a couple revision before you see him next? Are you boosted or NA?
k24Brendan

Post by k24Brendan »

So the tuner I am seeing doesn't do etunes, just dyno. He set up the quick base map for easy daily driving, which I am fine with driving on for the time being.

Will probably have to look at copying all of the calibration data from the old file over to a brand new calibration and hope that fixes things. Not too sure how to go about copying the data over myself without possibly missing something and causing even more problems. I personally don't know how to do all the fine adjustments, hense why I am going to a professional, so perhaps it's best to just ride on the safe map for now until we finish the final dyno tune.

Really was just looking to document this issue and see if there were any known fixes or suggestions from people on here.

Thank you for your reply

*edit: sorry forgot to mention I am just N/A. Just a few bolt on, nothing crazy
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah I understand the frustration. Not sure if it really is something in the updates, or just coincidence. The only way I have gotten past it is how I mention.

When do you go back on the dyno? If you want I can help you make sure the file you're driving on is safe, maybe make a couple adjustments for large chunks of fueling concerns. We can even do a quick tune on it so you have something to have fun with in the mean time. Just let me know if you want some help with it either way, if not, that's fine too. I just hate to see you baby it around until your dyno session if it is a ways out.