High Knock Count

2012+ US/Canadian Civic Si / 2013+ ILX
EnergyKart92

High Knock Count

Post by EnergyKart92 »

Hello everyone,

So, as the title says I'm having an issue with knock count. I've had logs of 60-70 knock total, though I wasn't logging the entire time, so it misses out on most of the knocks. On one of the logs I have from start to finish, it counted roughly 30 or so knocks.I have a 2012 SI, currently running the MAF Tune basemap with only a Skunk2 Megapower RR cat-back for power mods, and running Shell 91, which contains, as advertised, no ethanol in it.

I'll attach both the logs I was talking about. One for a short "complete drive", and the other late on in a drive. The latter is the newest log between the 2. Logs are named for the date taken.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attachments
Datalog-190321-000.fpdl
(637.13 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
Datalog-190318-000.fpdl
(225.9 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: High Knock Count

Post by Spunkster »

Has this been properly tuned on the dyno?
EnergyKart92

Post by EnergyKart92 »

No it hasn't. In all honesty, a buddy of mine has taken a look at it and made adjustments, and hes done well on his own car, but once I saw the logs of mine there with the knock count, I wanted to get a second opinion from here.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

I would recommend talking to your friend or take it to a tuner to get properly tuned. Tuning ignition timing without a dyno can be dangerous.
EnergyKart92

Post by EnergyKart92 »

I watched him adjust AFM and WOT Lambda tables only, no ignition timing was adjusted. It was as per Hondata MAF Tune.

I just now completed another datalog, with the Base MAF Tune Hondata file. No adjustments other than Rev limit and recover set to 7500 and 7490 respectively, Rev Hang disabled, and overrun fuel cut delay set to 28 across the board from 20 for drivability with rev hang disabled. Nothing else on any table was touched. I will attach the datalog.

It shows a count of 17 knock, but in reality it was 23 due to my drive just before filling up with gas, at the same Shell gas station as I always fill at. It counted 6 knocks in a drive thru alone, so I can assume tha'ts more than likely phantom knock.

WIth the total being, in effect, 23 for the knock count, that also seems to be a little high for the length of drive I did, considering that this drive was mostly city with a WOT pull and 3/4 pull, not a lot of highway, high load 5/6th gear. This drive was the same drive as my datalog with the 30 or so knock count.

Any ideas?
Attachments
Datalog-190321-002.fpdl
(495.8 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

It looks as though you have too much timing in it. Based on the ignition tables I have that are dyno tuned, you have 3-4 more degrees of ignition advance than I have for these cars. I'll send you a PM.
EnergyKart92

Post by EnergyKart92 »

So if that is the case, then Hondata’s MAF Tune is too aggressive for 91 and/or mostly stock vehicles?

And PM’d