Honda Remote Start on 2012 Si Issue

2012+ US/Canadian Civic Si / 2013+ ILX
AlmosN8kd

Honda Remote Start on 2012 Si Issue

Post by AlmosN8kd »

I apologize if this is the the wrong place; but, it seemed like the best fit from what I had access to; I was suggested to come over to Hondata to ask this question as the 9th Gen forums I'm on have been unable to find a solution. Perhaps it won't work; but, I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me get this to work or find a definitive reason as to why it will not.

Long story short, I installed the OEM Honda Remote Start system into my 2012 Civic Si Sedan; the parts descriptions and compatibility listings online stated the items were compatible (and specifically said 6spd manuals transmission). Anyhow, now that I have purchased, installed, and had the fobs programmed, I learned that the system is not actually compatible with my car. I am asking for some help on figuring out why it won't work and what I can do to make it work as I would prefer not to pull it out and start all over and spend even more money. All in all, the OEM setup is fairly easy and simple to install; going to an aftermarket unit would probably be quicker to get a remote starter in the car but would also be much more work to cut and splice everything; I'd rather make this unit work if possible. Prior to posting, I did search the forum and did not find much on this topic (if I missed the right thread, my apologies).

Ok, if you're willing to read more, here are the details; I know there is a lot here so I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and lend some advice. I purchased the following items about two months ago as they were listed as compatible with my car:
08E91-E22-101A Remote Start Kit (known as the brain)
08E92-TR0-100 Remote Start Attachment (the harness that will attach the brain to the car)
(Optional) 08E91-E22-1M001 Remote Start Transmitter (the kit comes with one, but I wanted a second one for the second master key).

About 6 weeks ago, I spent about a day installing it using the Honda directions; everything went smooth with the exception of the bracket for the Remote Start Control Module. I had to modify the bracket and an interior trim piece to make room for and to mount the module as it was trying to occupy the same space as the clutch pedal assembly. In hindsight, this should have been my first indicator that there was a problem; however, that was the only issue I encountered throughout the install.

A week later, I took the car to my local Honda dealer in order to have the fobs programmed to the car and complete the installation; when everything was done, the service writer told me that they couldn't get the system to work as there was no provision in HDS to allow for a clutch bypass and that the system was not compatible with my car because of the manual transmission. Regardless of what I explained about the parts being direct from Honda and being listed as compatible, there was nothing they could do. I figured this was no big deal, I would just wire the clutch safety switch to the ebrake (and eventually a neutral detect switch) and call it done.

Well, before jumping into the cutting and the splicing and what not, I decided to test my theory. So, I locked myself in the car, held down the clutch (simulating it being bypassed), and attempted to start the car remotely; it did not work. I have also attempted this by barring the clutch down and attempting this outside the car with the same results (I recorded a video to verify what happens in the car was the same). I could hear at least one of the 3 solenoids click but afterwards the system just beeps at me and there was no actual attempt to start the engine (the starter was never triggered). So, the question I have is, why? Why won't the factory remote starter attempt to start the car? What is missing from the equation to trigger the starter?

I have gone over the schematics for the system and I have a few ideas; however, before I go testing different leads (like the Shift Lock Solenoid on Pins 3 and 4 (Page 21-4) of the Remote Start Control Unit), I want to eliminate the immobilizer from the list of possible suspects (or, be able to know it is the actual reason and what can be done to change that signal to make it work). I don't know enough about nor do I have HDS to play with the software in order to test what the immobilizer is doing/not doing as I'm worried that the immobilizer may be an issue; but, I thought that was the reason for bringing it to Honda, to program the fob to the car which syncs it to the immobilizer (or, so I thought). If the issue is the immobilizer preventing the car from starting, I basically can't do anything about it, can I? I know part of the issue is that I don't truly understand what the immobilizer is sending to the ECU or Remote Start Control Unit (it definitely talks to both) when it gets a good or bad signal to keep the car running. What about the MICU, what is it sending to the Remote Start Control Unit on Pins 20 & 21 (Page 21-6)?

Additionally, I have gone over the pinouts in the electrical manual and there were no specific Si plugs for any of the ones involved with the install (unless I missed something). The only thing I could potentially see is that the Si is not going to have the A/T wires in those particular plugs.

Page 21 - Normal starting circuit:
Starter Circuit 21.JPG
Starter Circuit 21.JPG (1.79 MiB) Viewed 2480 times
Page 21-1 - Page 1 of Remote Start:
Remote Start 21-1.JPG
Remote Start 21-1.JPG (1.59 MiB) Viewed 2480 times
Page 21-2 - Page 2 of Remote Start:
Remote Start 21-2.JPG
Remote Start 21-2.JPG (1.46 MiB) Viewed 2480 times
Page 21-3 - Page 3 of Remote Start:
Remote Start 21-3.JPG
Remote Start 21-3.JPG (1.5 MiB) Viewed 2480 times
Page 21-4 - Page 4 of Remote Start:
Remote Start 21-4.JPG
Remote Start 21-4.JPG (1.54 MiB) Viewed 2480 times
AlmosN8kd

Re: Honda Remote Start on 2012 Si Issue

Post by AlmosN8kd »

Page 21-5 - Page 5 of Remote Start:
Remote Start 21-5.JPG
Remote Start 21-5.JPG (1.38 MiB) Viewed 2479 times
Page 21-6 - Page 6 of Remote Start:
Remote Start 21-6.JPG
Remote Start 21-6.JPG (1.45 MiB) Viewed 2479 times
Page 21-7 - Page 7 of Remote Start, the Rules for the system to operate:
Remote Start 21-7.JPG
Remote Start 21-7.JPG (1.53 MiB) Viewed 2479 times
Video of system test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF2PAow6Goc

If you've read this far, I sincerely thank you in advance for your time.