Sensors for Traction Control

Pantelis

Sensors for Traction Control

Post by Pantelis »

I Have a race car with no ABS sensors installed. Can you help me pls.

By reading the instruction it seems that a 2 wire inductive sensor is appropriate. Am I correct?

Do you just connect the 2 wires from each wheel sensor to the traction control module without supplying voltage?

Where we could buy those sensors?

Also are the 10 bolts on my wheel hubs enough for an efficient system on a rwd circuit race car or I need more reference points.
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Sensors for Traction Control

Post by Hondata »

2 wire inductive sensors will work. They generate their own output voltage, so do not need to be powered.

I would not use the wheel bolts because the Traction Control measures the time interval between each pulse. Thus the spacing and shape of the bolts would need to be very accurate in order to give a good output signal.

What hubs are you using? If they are production based then the easiest path is usually to find a production sensor that fits, or fits with a little modification.
Hondata
Pantelis

Post by Pantelis »

Ok understood. The car is a K20A honda powered Lotus elise. Weight is 750kg and power over 240 bhp, so traction is an issue.

The car never had ABS fitted so the easiest thing to do is custom manufacture wheel rings similar to the one shown on the image below:

http://www.alpharacing.com/uploads/pics ... NT_ABS.jpg

Based on the information given I believe that I need universal speed sensors that will work with the hondata traction control. I also need them to be high quality and robust. Inductive sensors seem to be the easiest option but do not know where to source a set. Can you suggest?

Are hall effect good option too? if yes race technology produce some and I can rely on their quality.

http://www.race-technology.com/wheel_speed_2_61.html

Please advice on the above.

Thanks
Last edited by Pantelis on Wed May 21, 2014 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

S1 Elise? Is there a hub swap which is easy?

On the rears you can use a Honda ABS ring on the outer CV. For that matter, it could be on the inner CV.

The fronts have one speed sensor output, but I don't think it has many pulses per revolution.

The Race Technology sensors will work ok. They are 3 wire so need to be powered up, and need the pull up resister as per the knowledge base. The sensor output goes to the Traction Control input +, and the Traction Control input - should be grounded. The sensor ground should also be grounded to the same place as the Traction Control input -.
Hondata
Pantelis

Post by Pantelis »

Yes S1 elise, I will proceed with the installation of the race technology sensors and keep you informed on my progress.
Attachments
photo 33.JPG
photo 33.JPG (190.36 KiB) Viewed 19697 times
madmazturbo

Post by madmazturbo »

I will be interested on your outcome as I have just put a post on the forum asking similar questions with traction problems on my k20 engine kitcar.
Can you post some pics on how you managed to get the trigger wheel in place and whether you used 2wire sensors in the end and if they just connect onto the two connection for the sensor.

Colin
Pantelis

Post by Pantelis »

Ok, no problem. I am not expecting to have it installed before September so be patient pls.
Pantelis

Post by Pantelis »

Back again. To start install.

Is the ELD input pin 15 as shown below? So you just need to connect the orange wire to that pin?
Attachments
pins.jpg
pins.jpg (210.5 KiB) Viewed 18835 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Hondata
Pantelis

Post by Pantelis »

Now installing the speed sensors (Hall effect by race technology). Just a clarification please. The newer type that have the wiring preintalled has already got a resistor built in (the signal wire sends 9.7V signal when supplied with 12V- since they will be powered by the ECU power). So do I just connect TC + to signal and - to ground, or I still need to connect a resistor between the 12v supply and the signal wire? Thx
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

See the diagram on the help page here

http://www.hondata.com/help/tractioncon ... wiring.htm
Hondata