Hondata COP cutting out at high rpms

Hondata CPR (Coil Pack Retrofit) support
GSRtrent

Hondata COP cutting out at high rpms

Post by GSRtrent »

So I have searched and searched online for an answer and cannot find any besides coming up with my own theories.

I have a boosted gsr running a Hondata COP unit. The car starts up and runs fine, BUT, around 7500 - 8000rpm it cuts out like hitting the rev limiter.

I have the battery relocated to the trunk and I think that may be my problem. The car turns over slow and I maxed out on fuel last year at 500.4whp with two(2) 255's, 2000cc and -6 feed line on e85.... doesn't seem right? So today I tested voltage. One pump is getting 13v, and I am getting around 14v to my fuse box... seems ok? BUT I have one ground off my battery and it's grounded to the back chassis area in the trunk... I was told later on this is not a good spot to ground.

On the dyno last year we took out the COP and put the stock dizzy in... same thing happened cutting out. So we added more grounds off the engine and the car seemed to "clear" up enough to tune.

Well, the car has been sitting now over winter and I can't seem where to go. I recently purchased a walbro 450lph pump to replace the two 255's and I purchased a relay to rewire the pump. My next plan is to move the batter back up front (maybe in the front bumper area) it's a track car, and running large sized battery cable.

To me it seems like a power/ground issue. Can someone please help me out here? Why is my COP cutting out up top? We tried different plugs, different gaps all the way down to .018". I talked to Hondata and they said since the car runs with the COP that it means it is hooked up correctly. But don't these individual coils require more power then a stock dizzy? Especially at higher rpms? I know I have a few things to try and I will soon. But I don't want to go at this blind and would like some input.

Thanks.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Hondata COP cutting out at high rpms

Post by Spunkster »

Without the calibration and datalogs showing the problem it is hard to speculate.
GSRtrent

Post by GSRtrent »

Here is all I have.
Attachments
Shane_DB_Tune.skl
(39.71 KiB) Downloaded 434 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Without a datalog there is nothing to see showing what is happening when you have the issue.
GSRtrent

Post by GSRtrent »

Here is the data log from tonight. You can see the cut out happened around 5k rpm mark between 35 and 40 sec in.

Battery is relocated to the front bumper. 0 gauge wire was ran for both positive and ground, even off the engine to chassis. All grounds are sanded to bare metal for best possible contact. At this point I just want my money back. I have been fighting this for nearly a year now.
Attachments
datalog cop cutout.s3d
(3.95 MiB) Downloaded 429 times
GSRtrent

Post by GSRtrent »

What is the recommended gap I should be running on the plugs when using the COP system? A good starting point? Thank you.
GSRtrent

Post by GSRtrent »

One thing I did notice is that the wire from the CPR is wired into the bottom ICM port on the ecu harness. In the instructions it shows that it is suppose to go to the top ICM port. Does this matter? If so I will change it.

Thank you.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Gap 0.020-0.030". Both ICM pins are connected inside the ECU.
Hondata
crucian

Post by crucian »

I have a breakup and hesitation issue too. Im still trying to troubleshoot. Already changed the distributor to a new oem. Im going to take out the cpr system and put the ignition back to stock and see if anything changes.
bwhiteboy1020

Post by bwhiteboy1020 »

has anyone solved this? i am having the same issue
Turboeg693

Post by Turboeg693 »

Anyone figured this out yet. I’m having the same exact problem and can’t figure it out
crucian

Post by crucian »

If it's cutting out at high RPM, it's probably not receiving enough power to the CPR box or coils. I'd suggest not wiring your CPR kit power and ground according to the instructions. Give the box and coils a nice strong power source.
Turboeg693

Post by Turboeg693 »

Where would be a good source for power and ground
crucian

Post by crucian »

I ran power from the battery to a relay. 1 relay for coils and the other for the box. Just don't splice into the ECU power or ground. I know the directions say to splice into the ecu wires, but to hell with the directions.
Turboeg693

Post by Turboeg693 »

Did it solve your issue. I already splice my wires so I guess I’m f’d. I see so many people with this issue but no one ever say what had fix the problem. I’ll try the relay. Thank you