Hondata k-control

FlashPro Manager software
9thgenlost

Hondata k-control

Post by 9thgenlost »

Anyone able to help explain k-control and how it’s works.This is on the 9th gen si, I’ve read the help sections and still looking for some more clarification.

Basically our fuel out here varies so much. Recently my k control has been 0-8 percent with it 90 percent of time showing 0% on this tank of fuel.
Last week same grade of fuel Same station was seeing 12-30% On the k control and some knocks.

When the k control is at 0 will the ecu still pull timing if needed?

Secondly to reduce engine knock first thing is to start with the Mbt tables?
EFICU

Re: Hondata k-control

Post by EFICU »

9thgenlost wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:05 pm Anyone able to help explain k-control and how it’s works.This is on the 9th gen si, I’ve read the help sections and still looking for some more clarification.

Basically our fuel out here varies so much. Recently my k control has been 0-8 percent with it 90 percent of time showing 0% on this tank of fuel.
Last week same grade of fuel Same station was seeing 12-30% On the k control and some knocks.

When the k control is at 0 will the ecu still pull timing if needed?

Secondly to reduce engine knock first thing is to start with the Mbt tables?
I would highly recommend watching this video to give you some direct information and hopefully help explain it better than most of us can, besides the Hondata guys of course. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fffMao5XQeI&t=630s

If your k control is showing 0, you should have no knock retard, or very little. The higher the k control, the more the ECU ramps up proactive ignition removal to reduce the chance of knock. It may still pull some knock retard to because of how the knock ignition limit tables are set up, which can be loosened to stop knock retard from happening while still waiting in the background if the k control goes up to 70-80-100% if you got bad fuel or low octane. Once you watch the video, it will make more sense. You might have to watch it a few times and compare your calibration.

The k control went up to 30% because of the knock count. When you say your fuel varies so much, are you referring to octane levels or quality? If it's octane, you need to tune the car for the lowest octane you can get for sure, while also being the highest possible as well. In California, we can only get 91 on a regular basis so we tune for that. In Canada and other countries, I have had guys who say their octane levels are some times hard to get all the time. So explain that more and we can help you there.

At 0% k control, the ECU should pull very little if any timing in the knock retard. At 0%, it's essentially detecting no knock activity from the knock sensor to warrant retarding the ignition. Without seeing a datalog or calibration I can't tell you for certain what it is doing, but only what it should be doing. Once you watch the video I attached, you will see.

Wherever you are seeing knock, check the intake air temps going into the engine. If the temperature is very high, say 120*f or so, check the compensation tables to see if they have reasonable values to pull timing when things get hot. Again, without seeing your file, I can't say what to do first. If you pull say 5* out for knock you're seeing, and the intake temps are very hot with no compensations kicking in, you are pulling that timing from when it's cooler and lose some performance.

If you can post your datalog showing knock that would help get us moving. If you can post your calibration too, that would be good. If you don't want to post these, you can email me the calibration so it's not online. Totally up to you, if nothing else, a datalog is very helpful.