RDX Testing

FlashPro Manager software
mucter

RDX Testing

Post by mucter »

Went out tuning on my 2012 RDX for the first time tonight.

Found a couple bugs in FPM. I will report back as/if I find more.

1) editing TPS indice on TPlate Normal table - comes up as load and wants to use units related to MAP values
2) editing load indice on fuel/ignition/cam/knock tables and increasing indice (i.e. to allow for mapping against higher boost than the defaults), results in proportional increases in the values, instead of decreases in the values as expected.

So if I change the top indice of 17psi to 20psi, my ignition at 4000 rpm on the low cam jumps from 17* to 18.6*

So far, I'm pleased to see that there is easy power to be made on this car, as I suspected. Only made some (very) minor tweaks and I've picked up 10hp/tq across the board over the stock-tuned map. When I have time to really dig in to the KIL tables and straighten them out, this car will be a different animal. The ECU just throws knock retard around like it's going out of style.

Curious about boost control. The ECU seems to overshoot the target.... always. Any chance we can get more tables for this to control it better?

Also, is there a table for throttle tip in retard? I.E. the Ignition retard gear compensation table found on other platforms?
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: RDX Testing

Post by Hondata »

1. The throttle table index should not be editable.
2. Fixed.

Boost control probably uses PID so once we master the o2 closed loop PID control we could look at the boost control.

We've found no specific tip in retard tables yet.
Hondata
mucter

Post by mucter »

Hondata wrote:1. The throttle table index should not be editable.
2. Fixed.

Boost control probably uses PID so once we master the o2 closed loop PID control we could look at the boost control.

We've found no specific tip in retard tables yet.
1) That's what I thought. I was actually suprised that it let me. Either way, locking that down properly would be good in case actually successfully editing it causes some really strange behavior in the ecu.

2) thanks, that will help me a LOT.

I will be patient on the boost control, just wanted to bring it up.

Tip in retard, np.

At this point, the way the KIL tables are tuned is the biggest deterrent to on throttle torque / responsiveness. The tip in retard (if there is such a table) isn't even remotely an issue yet. I wouldn't be surprised if there is no tip in retard table since the torque converter introduces so much slop into the drivetrain loading process, such a table might be useless.

Thanks for the quick response.
mucter

Post by mucter »

Another issue.

When using Sensor Overlay, I can't show the Sensor per Cam Angle since the fuel tables on the RDX aren't cam angle dependent.

Maybe add an option to define which base tables the sensor overlay tables are displayed on?

So say I'm tuning for knock and I want to show the knock counts via sensor overlay mapped on the table x/y axis per cam angle. It would be helpful to have the sensor overlay live on the ignition tables anyways so I can quickly / easily affect changes on the appropriate cells. This would be useful on all platforms, not just the RDX.

As it is though, on the RDX, it makes sensor overlay kinda un-useful, so either way, some kind of fix would be helpful if you can.
VitViper

Post by VitViper »

Hondata wrote: Boost control probably uses PID so once we master the o2 closed loop PID control
Probably does, I was wondering where all the cool PID closed loop BCS settings were....

Thanks @ the O2 R&D. You know what would be really cool? Using the analog wideband input for closed loop instead of the factory O2 sensor while we're at it... just saying >.>
Hondata wrote: we could look at the boost control.
Awesome.
mucter

Post by mucter »

Something is up with the knock logic.

If I tune against MBT and raise KIL to eliminate static knock retard, it doesn't work properly. Even though the Ignition Limit goes up in sensors, at high boost, the ECU kicks over to some weird static retard state. It goes to -8 to -10 degrees ignition and the car bucks because the timing is way off.

Attached is the cal I'm using to test things and a log showing the behavior. This is all very preliminary, but I prefer to tune for MBT against my fuel instead of relying on KIL to step in and mess with static know retard. This engine really hates ignition, I'm guessing I can thank the close coupled cat for that. :-p
Attachments
strange-kil.fpdl
(3.6 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
stock-tweaked-102.fpcal
(11.11 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
VitViper

Post by VitViper »

Maybe I'm crazy, but throwing this out there -- that behavior isn't what we're used to seeing with Honda's typical KIL tuning logic.

Makes me think it's some kind of ignition table modifier. Either vs some kind of transmission torque modifier/control table or even some kind of traction control logic?
mucter

Post by mucter »

Here's another log, this one with the stock kil/retard values in place. Similar amount of boost. Ignition responds as you would expect. So I know it's not the ECU hitting a failsafe on the amount of boost. The car really scoots with this much boost on the low end.
Attachments
standard-kil.fpdl
(5.08 KiB) Downloaded 249 times