engine knock

FlashPro Manager software
jbfd2ar

engine knock

Post by jbfd2ar »

i datalog and on the road rev from 1000-6000 on gear 1 and gear 2. and made necessary fuel change as recommended. did this a couple of time. made changes a few times. the car did run smoother than before. but on datalog, it shows high level of knocking.

cylinder 1 13
cylinder 2 153
cylinder 3 97
cylinder 4 1
should i do advance ignition angle? or increase fuel trim per cylinder.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: engine knock

Post by Spunkster »

jbfd2ar

Post by jbfd2ar »

fp-si-int-20856
flashpro manager version 1.2.8.0
Asia civic fd2.0 auto transmission
oem honda ecu
converted to civic si, complete si head, si 11.0:1 piston, maintaining auto transmission.
skunk 2 dbw throttle body, k&n open pod filter, 2.5" catback exhaust, skunk 2 fuel rail, retain stock 270cc injector(i had 310cc injector but workshop mechanic told me 270cc is sufficient)

car runs fine, no erratic idle , no sudden loss of power or anything funny, but when i open up the datalog file, i notice high level of knocking.
Last edited by jbfd2ar on Wed May 30, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jbfd2ar

Post by jbfd2ar »

should i keep trying, datalog, and adjust the fuel value, until there's minimum knock or adjust individual cylinder fuel trim or individual cylinder ignition angle ?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The datalog shows nothing of what you have described.
jbfd2ar

Post by jbfd2ar »

Hi, Sorry. I've posted the right file this time.
In this datalog, i had been driving on the road for a while to the "safe & long isolated road" before i hit datalog and test the car.

when i open the file, the part when datalog just begun, the knock count was already 200+ counts. at the end of the drive, there was like about 20 counts of knocking. and throughout the datalog, it shows high knock control % and knock retard up to 10+%.

my car is a stock civic si cam and stock 11.0:1 compression ratio and running on Ron95 fuel. any recommendations ?
Attachments
add1.fpcal
(20.42 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
add1 datalog0001.fpdl
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 253 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

You can get knock retard without any knock. See the help file.

First I would find out why the injectors are not cutting out on overrun. This is giving you hugely negative fuel trims, and must give poor fuel economy.

Next I would fix the idle so that it does not oscillate between 1100 and 1600 rpm. This could be a vacuum leak.

Once everything else looks good, then look at the knock. The ignition tables are close enough to drive around on in the meantime.
Hondata
jbfd2ar

Post by jbfd2ar »

Thanks for your reply Hondata.

Yes, i am getting very bad mileage per tank of petrol. I open up the lamda overrun settings. the values were way off from those values at the help section, and the map maximum was 500kpa!
I believe the erratic idling is from the skunk2 dbw throttle body i am using. When i install it, mechanics cant solve the erratic idling issue despite resetting the ecu and doing the idle learn process numerous times, and they were sure that there is no vacuum leak. When they put the stock throttle body on, it runs fine, idle smooth. I just live with it, drive the car around for a day and no more erratic idling, but the problem do come back once in a while.
I've made a little changes, hopefully it will be good. Will test it out the next few days.