ECU Replacement

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
REXNST9

ECU Replacement

Post by REXNST9 »

Good day

I currently have a 06 Civic SI with a Flashpro locked to it's original ECU as it has been for many years. I've done some digging on the forum here to try and get my information and I have been able to get some info from various posts but still a little unclear perhaps as is pertains to my case.

I have a acquired a brand new ECU from my local Honda dealership and I want to replace my original ECU which my Flashpro is locked to with this new ECU and re-lock the Flashpro to the new ECU.

I want to be clear about the way this should be done. Again from researching here within the forums my plan is to unlock the Flashpro from the current ECU, take the car to the dealer and have them tie the new ECU to the VIN or what ever they do exactly, re-lock the Flashpro to the car/ECU, upload my calibration and drive away. Is it that straight forward or am I missing some important steps and or information. I have seen within the forum that may people seem to have issues with similar activities of this nature, I would like to avoid any trouble so I am able to get this done smoothly.

Thanks
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: ECU Replacement

Post by Spunkster »

Why do you want to change the ECU?
REXNST9

Post by REXNST9 »

Thanks for taking the time to reply, not sure what kind of particular details your looking for in regards to why I would like to install a new ECU. The long story short I suppose is there has been a process of troubleshooting and through this process a new ECU was purchased, I would now like to utilize the ECU rather then see it sit in the box. I don't have definitive proof ECU is problematic, I also understand it's very rare to have an issue. Right or wrong a new ECU was purchased and I would like to use it.

Going back to my original question, is my plan for doing to swap correct? Is that really all there is accomplishing this task.

Thanks
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

What exactly is the problem you are having that leads you to believe the ECU may be a problem.
REXNST9

Post by REXNST9 »

I had been having a couple of issues, one was this light hitching/jerking being felt while under light to medium throttle openings with light load on the engine. I was also encountering a fuel table that would swing wildly from hour to hour and day to day. Some days the fuel map would be pretty much dead on and with no changes made the next hour or day it could be adding 15% or removing 15%.

Initially I felt these were symptoms of a common problem. I was able to go back into the build and find a missed weld between the turbine flange and one of my wastegate take offs. Clearly an issue, I got it welded up and the exhaust is tight. Now the fuel map issues seem to be resolved as the map is consistent all the time. Unfortunately the hitching/jerky symptom is still there.

Over this course of time I have done a lot of troubleshooting and replacing of various things. The ECU is basically the last thing that hasn't been looked at or atleast to the best of my ability. There was also concern the current ECU was exposed during some welding activity early on in this recent build to the HF start while Tig welding if not the welding in of itself.

I purchased the ECU after doing the following to the best of my recollection. I have checked the fuel pump, fuel pressure, installed a fuel pulsation damper, changed injectors, changed plugs, tried different gaps, new coils, checked grounds, checked valve lash, new throttle body, new O2 sensor, new MAP sensor, new crank sensor, both new cam sensors, checked mechanical timing, new battery, new alternator, checked for vacuum leaks, tried different fuel mixtures and timing with in the effected area, looked into injector dead times, poured over many hours of sensor logs, checked compression, did a leak down test (it's healthy) I am probably forgetting somethings but I can definitively state that I have gone through this thing to the best of my ability.

Now I am down to the ECU, the money is spent, it's sitting here in a box and I have a tentative appointment Friday afternoon to have it done provided I have confidence that if I do it as I have planned to do that it can be done with out being a disaster. It may very well not resolve anything but I can't eliminate it until I try! I do not have any more information I can provide you with. What I am really hoping is that if you know the answer to my original question, that you may be kind enough to provide me the answer, it's a bit confusing to ask a question and get a question in return. I understand you are likely trying to be helpful and thank you for that. Perhaps if I am still encountering this issue I would try to seek some ideas here on the forum after I have exhausted myself.

Thanks
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

I highly doubt there is any problem with the ECU and more than likely will not change anything.

you must make sure that you go to the online menu and return to stock, then go the online menu and unlock from the vehicle.
REXNST9

Post by REXNST9 »

You could very well be 100% correct! None the less I have to give it a shot and at least eliminate it undoubtedly. Thank you for your time and thanks clearing up my question.