Difference between standard and RACE tunes

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
bfce

Difference between standard and RACE tunes

Post by bfce »

All of the standard tunes use the AFM sensor which basically makes the car run like crap in my case.

Using the RACE tunes works great, but the vehicle model shows as a Civic Type R FN2, and several newer features are unavailable.

Is there any reason I couldn't just use the parameters from the RACE tune in a standard speed/density tune? Only difference I can see is the cam angle presets on fuel/ignition maps are different. With a 15degree and a 50degree on the RACE map. Is that the only reason the RACE tune is preferable?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Difference between standard and RACE tunes

Post by Spunkster »

What vehicle are you referring to?
bfce

Post by bfce »

The 8th gen civic si FG2. The basemap I'm running is named something like civic-si-race-k&n or something (reciting from memory because I'm phoneposting) but under the calibration tab the vehicle shows as a Civic Type R FN2.

There seems to be no basemaps that use speed/density that aren't race tunes, but I just don't understand the purpose of race tunes if you could use speed/density on the standard tune and retain more features.
bfce

Post by bfce »

Now that I'm on my laptop I can provide some screenshots of what I'm talking about

As you can see, I have a Civic Si selected as my vehicle. If I select a basemap, I find that it is a pretty bad starting point for street tuning, as it is based on AFM and switching it to speed/density provides a super lean map that would never run properly.

There is a much better basemap, in the form of these RACE maps, I'm using one that matches my intake Image

The odd thing here is that this isn't just a normal speed/density tune. It's changed my vehicle type into an FN2 Civic Type R

In addition, lots of newer flashpro features are missing, for example the full throttle shifting feature Image

What is the purpose behind RACE maps? It runs much better for me because it provides a MAP based fuel table that's close enough for me to street tune, but there seems to be no reason that the same fuel tables couldn't be used in a standard tune with the correct vehicle type and all of the features of flashpro.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

You can use speed/density on the standard tunes if you wish. Under calibration/fuel you can enable the VE tables.

'Race' calibrations are a historical inclusion from the introduction of the 8th gen Si FlashPro. The regular calibrations run better and have more features.

If your vehicle runs poorly on the AFM then I'd look at the AFM itself and intake before switch to a speed/density setup, and in that case don't use the race calibration.
Hondata
bfce

Post by bfce »

I would use the speed/density on a normal tune, but the race maps are a much better starting point because the fuel tables are already tuned. Is there anyway to get something similar on a non-race tune? Or would copying the values from the race calibrations tables be preferred?