08 civic si considering hondata/cai/exhaust help?

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
bazzini

08 civic si considering hondata/cai/exhaust help?

Post by bazzini »

Hello,

I am new here and had some questions. I am considering adding some bolt ons to my 08 civic si sedan. I am looking at either a hybird racing or Skunk2 CAI (haven't fully decided yet and definitely would take some opinions on that if anyone has any) and a Skunk2 megapower rr 76mm catback exhaust. No headers or anything too crazy yet since its my daily. Now from what I understand with either of those two exhausts I will need a hondata. My question is if I could use a basemap since its just these two mods or if theres someone here that could help me tune it so I don't have to spend another $250-500 on a custom tune for just two bolt ons after spending 2k on the bolt ons and hondata. If anyone has any advice for my situation it would be much appreciated.
devan

Re: 08 civic si considering hondata/cai/exhaust help?

Post by devan »

• Don't buy either of those intakes until you have FlashPro.
  • As far as the exhaust feel free to buy that. It won't make or break you. However, gains will be very minimal, if any, without at tune.
  • Note: Bolt-ons that greatly affect engine airflow (i.e. race headers, large intakes like the ones you mentioned, cams, etc) require a tune
If you're going to get an exhaust, go with 3 in or 76mm like you said.
I personally like the Full Race and Thermal R&D exhausts and would encourage these over the Skunk2 Megapower RR.
The Rev9 Flowmaxxx 3in is another ok option but the longevity of the muffling material is questionable. This exhaust is really cheap though and a testament to "You get what you pay for".

If it we're up to me save up and get FlashPro. Instant gains out of the box...even on a 100% stock setup.
Then as you gradually modify the vehicle, you can reach out and adjust the tune accordingly. There are a handful of people here (including myself) who can help with that.
Once you have the car all set up how you like, I would strongly suggest a dyno tune from a reputable tuner/shop.
Hope this helps!
8th Gen Civic Enthusiast and K Series Connoisseur
BlackSiR

Re: 08 civic si considering hondata/cai/exhaust help?

Post by BlackSiR »

Why would you say that? I have AEM SRI bolted on for two years without Hondata FlashPro and it is still running strong for 60,000 miles already but I had an error once, I did wrong pedaling and engine check light came on and it would not kick VTEC in, I unbolted MAP and it smells like fuel coming out of intake. I let the air out of intake and bolted MAP back on, it never happened again. I just ordered Hondata FlashPro for better performance but why should I not have performance intake without Hondata?