Tried new tune, crazy knock counts

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
0macman0

Tried new tune, crazy knock counts

Post by 0macman0 »

Tried to do a new non race calibration, and during the first five minutes of driving my knock count went to about 400. Wasn't watching the knock count good enough. Switched back to old calibration and knock gone. What are the chances of engine damage from that many knocks in such a short time? I don't have the datalog anymore unfortunately.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Tried new tune, crazy knock counts

Post by Spunkster »

It is impossible to say, since we don't know how bad the knock were, or at what RPM/load.

More than likely though there is no serious damage.
0macman0

Post by 0macman0 »

Well, it was under 30% throttle, I couldn't hear it, and didn't notice a power loss as it was occurring while on the verge of coasting so let's hope for the best :/ Would there be anything between the tunes that would effect the knock count by means of sensitivity? Or does the knock count just always count knock?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

If it is registering knock, then it needs additional tuning. Don't just ignore it. The calibrations are different and unless properly tuned can cause damage to your engine.
0macman0

Post by 0macman0 »

No I switched back to my old tune. Hope for the best was about hopefully no damage since it was a low load situation. Would there be anything between tunes that would affect the sensitivity of the knock sensor and what count it registers?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

They will run completely differently. If you want to use a standard calibration with the new features, you should get it properly tuned with that type of calibration.