Odd idle and knock question

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
omgu8myrice

Odd idle and knock question

Post by omgu8myrice »

So i have two questions here...

for one, my idle seems a bit odd. i can hear a ticking noise, but i have no knock and it goes away once the car is warmed up. also, I also sometimes hear a louder rumble mixed in with the smoother idle sound. i attached a datalog, does it look good?

2nd, when running the car harder, i get knock % values of up to 85%. i do not have any actual knock in any cylinder, though. Is that a problem? My tune is somewhat aggressive.
Attachments
cold idle.fpdl
(18.77 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
bgmayes

Post by bgmayes »

i was also noticing that k.level percent was getting up to about 85% at some points in pulls. does it have to reach 100% in order for there to be a knock recorded? or how should i interpret the k.level percent as a warning of getting close to knock?
ImAuthenticFTW

Post by ImAuthenticFTW »

bgmayes wrote:i was also noticing that k.level percent was getting up to about 85% at some points in pulls. does it have to reach 100% in order for there to be a knock recorded? or how should i interpret the k.level percent as a warning of getting close to knock?
dont use knock %, use the Knock Count that has been added for each cylinder
cheers007

Post by cheers007 »

What about the ticking sound. I'm recently noticing a ticking sound at idle and I've had FP for over a month now.

It doesn't sound so much as valve tap, but more like some emissions component like the canister purge solenoid (if this car has one) with a heavy duty cycle.

My 95 Dodge Grand Caravan with 3.8L V6 makes the same noise, and I feel and hear it coming from the purge solenoid, so I'm hoping my Si is doing the same.

Input on the ticking?
silverspoon1996

Post by silverspoon1996 »

the injectors are noisey....
cheers007

Post by cheers007 »

Well, thank goodness it's only the injectors.

Thanks for the reply!
bgmayes

Post by bgmayes »

well then what is the knock % or k.level used for? trying to tune close to knock with out actually getting a knock it just seemed my understanding was correct? must not be just would appreciate further understanding of this