Getting knock on cyl.2 only

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
Pir8pete

Getting knock on cyl.2 only

Post by Pir8pete »

@ Hondata

I'm getting knock on cyl. 2 only can you check my map and log.

I even tried pulling -4% on individual cyl. trim under igni for cyl 2. and it seems that there was no change. Does the CT-e manifold flow that bad?

FYI: The base map of the CT-e S/C stage 2 was so far I couldn't believe it, worse then the reflash.

EDITED: MAP DELETE
Attachments
cyl2-drive home.fpdl
datalog
(482.5 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
Last edited by Pir8pete on Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

This will sound odd but your problem is too little ignition timing. Superchargers have the wonderful characteristic where they start to make noise if there is not enough advance.

You're running hardly any timing at all under boost - as a rule you should be able to run 16 degrees on the low cam by 4000 rpm, and 20 degrees on the high cam at about 10 lbs of boost with pump gas. If you can't without knock, start looking for other causes. With the CT supercharger we see many problems from the fuel pressure regualtor modification.
Hondata
Pir8pete

Post by Pir8pete »

Hondata wrote:This will sound odd but your problem is too little ignition timing. Superchargers have the wonderful characteristic where they start to make noise if there is not enough advance.

You're running hardly any timing at all under boost - as a rule you should be able to run 16 degrees on the low cam by 4000 rpm, and 20 degrees on the high cam at about 10 lbs of boost with pump gas. If you can't without knock, start looking for other causes. With the CT supercharger we see many problems from the fuel pressure regualtor modification.
good point i'm going to start looking at other reasons i'm getting knock only on cyl. 2, either a bad injector or spark plug. If it was the fuel pump wouldn't I see this in all cyls.?

Here are some logs to and from my work around 48km each way. whata think?
Attachments
Oct. 2 drive to work 48km.fpdl
Temp was around 4C
(676.83 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
Oct. 2 drive home 48km.fpdl
(134.61 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Oct. 2 drive home 48km-2.fpdl
(546.92 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Start again from the base calibration. The ignition timing is far too low, even off throttle. This will affect your AF ratios.
Hondata
tcel336

Post by tcel336 »

I have been getting a lot of knock in cylinder #2 also.
I am running version 1.1.0.8 with RACE base map Fujita with Header.
My engine mods are: X Intake (OEM Honda parts with SR), Hondata IMG, Buddyclub RH with testpipe, and Buddyclub Pro Spec Catback.
The map is basically unchanged with the exception of launch limiter and secondary o2 delete.

The knock seems to occur under light/normal loads around 3k rpms

I am attempting to upload the Datalog. Its a fairly long datalog with an ambient temperature of about 53 degrees.

at 13:30:00 and again at 17:04:00-17:07:00 is where most of the knock occurs

i'm having problems uploading the datalog. Where can I email it to?
Pir8pete

Post by Pir8pete »

tcel336 wrote:I have been getting a lot of knock in cylinder #2 also.
I am running version 1.1.0.8 with RACE base map Fujita with Header.
My engine mods are: X Intake (OEM Honda parts with SR), Hondata IMG, Buddyclub RH with testpipe, and Buddyclub Pro Spec Catback.
The map is basically unchanged with the exception of launch limiter and secondary o2 delete.

The knock seems to occur under light/normal loads around 3k rpms

I am attempting to upload the Datalog. Its a fairly long datalog with an ambient temperature of about 53 degrees.

at 13:30:00 and again at 17:04:00-17:07:00 is where most of the knock occurs

i'm having problems uploading the datalog. Where can I email it to?
seems like some Si's are sensetive, can you hear the knock?
tcel336

Post by tcel336 »

My car is so loud with the buddyclub setup, I can barely hear myself. The car doesnt seem to run bad. Still feels like it pulls and has good response. I was gonna get a tune but $500 is a lot since I plan on doing more.

Well my datalogs are so large (110mb) that I can't even send them via email and i don't have a zip program. i'll have to try a shorter datalog tomorrow. I have a real short one of just a 3rd gear pull from 25mph to 78 mph but there is not as much knock during that datalog.

EDIT: hey i figured it out!!! I haven't tuned anything yet.. Maybe someone can give me a few pointers based on my datalog?

I know someone will say that this is not enough knock to be worried, but i have other datalogs where cylinders 3 and 4 will have minimal knock over a 20 minute drive but cylinder two will jump to 20+ knocks. I even had 16 counts in cylinder 2 in only 3 seconds. I would post those but they are upwards of 100mbs and I don't have any compression programs
Attachments
3rd gear fujita version 1.1.0.8.fpdl
this is a 3rd gear pull. this knock jumps when i let off at 8k. its in cylinders 2,3, and 4.. nothing in cylinder 1
(836.58 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
version 1.1.0.8.fpcal
this is my calibration
(73.08 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
Last edited by tcel336 on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tcel336

Post by tcel336 »

^^
Bump because I finally successfully uploaded a datalog!!!
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Almost all the knock occurs before you let off (7800 rpm - 8200 rpm). Reduce the ignition timing on the high speed cam for all cam angles from 7500 rpm up but 1-2 degrees. If the ambient is 53F then the intake is contributing to the knock (89F).
Hondata