2008 Si Sedan map suggestions please and thank you

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
afauser

2008 Si Sedan map suggestions please and thank you

Post by afauser »

Hello, I'm new here. Just got my flash pro yesterday. I looked at using a couple of the maps with an SRI but unsure which one would be best. Been doing a ton of reading and trying to figure out where I should start for a map. It's a 08 Si Sedan K20Z3 Takeda SRI, 06 TSX camshafts and a J35 throttle body. No exhaust modifications right now. Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. I will try to upload a datalog. I just haven't had much of a chance to drive it yet. Thank you
2008 Civic Si Sedan, 06 TSX camshafts, J35 Throttle Body, Berk Test Pipe, Hybrid Racing CAI,
TL Brembo Front Brake Calipers w/ S2000 Rotors.
afauser

Re: 2008 Si Sedan map suggestions please and thank you

Post by afauser »

Drove it tonight. Hope I did the data log right. 3rd gear WOT to rev cut just after 10 minutes in.

Thank you
Attachments
datalog0000.fpdl
(5.09 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
2008 Civic Si Sedan, 06 TSX camshafts, J35 Throttle Body, Berk Test Pipe, Hybrid Racing CAI,
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

All in all it doesn't look too bad. It has a considerable amount of knock which would be easy to clean up. The part throttle fueling isn't terrible, but the WOT fueling is a little off track and get's very rich near redline. There are a few other things that should be addressed, but it isn't terrible per say.

Are you planning on running just the Takeda/Cams/J35 for a while, or do you plan to do other stuff?
afauser

Post by afauser »

Thank you for your response. This is all I'm doing for quite awhile. Just wanted to give it a bit more pep. It's my daily and I don't track/race it. Just a fun car.

Do you need me to upload the map I was using? I'm assuming you could assist with touching it up.

Thanks
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

If you plan to keep it like this for a while, we should do a complete tune on it so it’s all dialed. We can start you on one of my files, then go from there.

To do it right, you should tune each cam angle individually. Usually takes 7-10 revisions to get it dialed and knock free.

Let me know if you want to do it that way.
afauser

Post by afauser »

Yes I would be game for that. Thank you very much.

I just wish I understood the tuning aspect a bit better. In time it will come I'm sure. Things like what causes the knock then adjusting is correctly to get rid of it.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Sounds good. It looks like you've already done some research and know what to do on your datalog driving. Shoot for at least twenty minutes and one WOT pull in third gear from 2500-8600. Keep it to one pull in third on the four revisions while we're doing the detail stuff, on the fifth revision or so I will turn you loose to drive it however you want. But for now, on these first four, keep it to stop and go type driving with one WOT pull in third.

There are a lot of tutorials online you can research for tuning. Same thing with knock, lots of videos on how it occurs and the damage it can cause when it gets really bad. Some knock isn't too bad, but I always shoot for 0. What octane fuel are you running?

Here is the first revision for you, take this one for a datalog and we'll see how it looks. This one is the 0* cam angle, so it will be a little laggy, it's all part of the process. It will get stronger as we go, then on the fifth revision it will begin to feel pretty strong all over. So don't get discouraged or anything throughout the process.
afauser.SD.Rev01 (0 Cam).fpcal
(20.68 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
afauser

Post by afauser »

I have read many of your posts so I had a bit of an idea of what to do for the datalog drive. I have some free time right now so I will head out for a bit and run your map. Thank you!

I was trying to watch some you tube videos last night but ended up falling asleep. Midnight is not a good time to watch something where you have to pay attention. Aye

I am running 91 octane Any less I end up with "pinging" especially under heavier throttle, lower rpm in a higher gear.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah you generally want to study things during the hours you are most coherent. Haha.

Sounds good. We run a lot less ignition than the map you were running, so we should be good. We’ll see as we go. Lower rpm in higher gears is always the most sensitive as you note. So keep that in mind, keep it in the proper gear for the amount of acceleration you need and try not to lug it around will.
afauser

Post by afauser »

20 minute drive. Some city stop and go. A bit of highway speeds/cruising. Wasn't sure about the first WOT pull so I did a second.

Greatly appreciate your help.
Attachments
datalog0001.0.fpdl
(4.6 MiB) Downloaded 72 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Okay, I missed the boat a bit on that basemap. Let's regroup on this one and resinspect the 0* cam again. It was pretty rich all over on that last one, I like to start off with something a lot closer. Let's try this one out, it is the 0* cam angle again. Same style datalog like before.

Is there a heatshield around the filter or anything by chance?

Sorry to have you redo this one, we will be a lot closer on this one and I think it gives us a much better start.
afauser.SD.Rev02 (0 Cam)(Retest).fpcal
(20.5 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
afauser

Post by afauser »

Drive #2 for today. There is no heat shield around the filter. All good about having to redo it. I greatly appreciate you using your time doing this for me.

I'm hoping that I can look at these logs and see what you seeing and see where the changes are required. I am an automotive technician by trade but we never get into tuning/programming. We do software updates but never see anything to this extent. Never see what the manufacturers/engineers change.
Attachments
datalog0002.0.fpdl
(4.92 MiB) Downloaded 68 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Good deal, I just feel bad for having you redo the same cam angle again. What elevation are you at where you live? This one looked a lot better. Just the way it's transitioning though certain columns is making me curious if you're at higher elevation, or the filter is blocked by something. Probably sounds like a weird question, but the MAP sensor isn't reading as close to 0 psi on the WOT pull as most of the 8th gen cars do. The only 8th gen car I have seen run a similar MAP sensor reading was a guy in higher elevations in Canada. Let me know, just want to make sure everything is mechanically sound.

Best thing is to look at the datalogs and kind of get an idea of what you're looking at. You'll also notice as we go, that each fuel map for each cam angle starts to take it's own shape as we go. Once you get the idea of what you're looking at in the datalogs you will start to see trends and somewhat makes sense. We change some small settings in the background so it commands steady AFR in part throttle. The factory has it do what I call hunting around where it's constantly chasing a new AFR in part throttle. With targeting 14.64 throughout all your part throttle driving, the fuel management becomes much easier, and drivability and fuel economy go up. Fuel trims are the name of the game in part throttle. The less the ECU has to adjust the actual AFR compared to the target, the better it all works out.

Here is the next one for you. Now we move up to the 15* cam angle. We had no knock in that last one, so that is a good sign. Let me know on your elevation in stuff so we can confirm a few things.
afauser.SD.Rev03 (15 Cam).fpcal
(20.48 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
afauser

Post by afauser »

Thank you for the quick repsonse. I had noticed there was no knock on that one when I looked at the log. I figured that it was on the right track as far as that goes.

Elevation here in Edmonton is 2200 feet/640 meters or so. It's not as high as other cities here in Alberta but it sure isn't sea level. The engine does seem to be mechanically sound so hopefully it's the elevation is causing what you are seeing. I did the cams myself a week ago. Valve adjust was performed. I could do a compression test tomorrow just to confirm that part.

I'll run this map tomorrow morning.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah the basemaps are generally setup for 93 octane. So since you run 91 there will usually be quite a bit of knock, it looks good already at the ignition we have in it for 91 so that is good.

The elevation is the problem I see then, as I mention. I looked up the other guy and he is in Edmonton as well. Small world, haha. Now that I know that I can focus on those columns instead of the ones that are populated more at sea level. I just wanted to make sure we're all good. You don't need to look into anything, based on your elevation, that is what I'm seeing.

For this reason, use this revision attached on your next drive. I made a couple changes to better suite your altitude.
afauser.SD.Rev03.1 (15 Cam).fpcal
(20.55 KiB) Downloaded 67 times