VTC on decel

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
MM082001

Re: VTC on decel

Post by MM082001 »

I'll try it in the morning. Yeah, I'm on 91. I noticed that the injectors are about 85% at full load and 8400 rpm. With the knew intake and throttle body, do you think I will be pushing their limits? I was going to have my injectors cleaned, but might just get RDX injectors instead? Do you think they are worth it?
08 civic si proline springs koni orange Hondata hybrid racing CAI with larger throttle body and peeling and faded Blue paint
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

The injectors are in the mid 80's, but it's also rich up top there. Once we get the AFR's leaned out to the desired range we'll see where the duty cycle is, I'm sure it will be less as it will be delivering less fuel when we get it right. The 80's are fine, in the 90% and above you want to think about swapping to RDX's. With your setup though, there should be no need for RDX's. The only 8th gen I have had who maxed them out had an HR intake, RH, 3" exhaust, and a K-Tuned 72mm throttle body.

If you want to swap to RDX's, I have all the necessary data to make them function properly. So if you want the piece of mind, we can certainly make it work.
MM082001

Post by MM082001 »

Ok, that is much smoother. Much smoother transition also. I didn't get on the freeway, just thru town.
Attachments
2nd run part 2.fpdl
(992.46 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
2nd run.fpdl
(3.57 MiB) Downloaded 84 times
08 civic si proline springs koni orange Hondata hybrid racing CAI with larger throttle body and peeling and faded Blue paint
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Overall it looks a ton better. VTC is holding static on the shift and rotating to 0* slow and steady coming to idle. Which in my opinion is how it should be. So that's good.

The fueling was very close. I made some changes to the part throttle fueling and a few WOT fueling. The WOT fueling was less than 5% off target in a couple areas, which is great for a start.

The knock was pretty much eliminated which is great. You went from 43 knock on one pull with your old tune to 1 right near redline in this first one. So I pulled a degree out there for that one knock we had.

Also, your injector duty dropped down to 79% max at 8200 rpms to redline. So I honestly see no need for injectors based on the duty cycle percentage. I think you're good to go with the stock injectors, and probably will be with the HR intake. We can always reinspect that when we tune it for the HR intake. Speaking of the HR intake, you are going to notice a lot better performance with the HR for many reasons. One being the intake air temps. They were really hot in these datalogs, the HR will help this a lot.

Now that we have some accurate fuel data. It looks vtec will perform best at 4600 on your setup. Give this one a drive ith vtec at 4600 and see what you think. We can always lower it if you'd like, but this should provide the smoothest crossover into vtec. If we go lower, it might feel like a small bog at the crossover. In the end, it all matters what you like, so just let me know.

Here is the next one for you. Honestly it should be pretty solid on this one. We'll see how it looks. Either way, it looks night and day better, hopefully it's performing better. With those hot intake temps (127F) it's definitely down on power right now.
MM082001.SD.Rev02 (Vtec4600).fpcal
(22.43 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Last edited by EFICU on Wed May 05, 2021 3:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MM082001

Post by MM082001 »

Might run out to Sears point raceway for Wednesday Night Drags. So far my best run was at Sacramento Raceway, 14.6 with just a base tune. What do you think is a good launch rpm, I set it to 3200 rpm.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Nice, are you in the Sacramento area? I was going to ask where you were located.

Hard to say on the launch, so many factors, tires, tire pressure, track prep. Sacramento Raceway has never been known for track prep much. You could start at 3200 and see what you think. Also depends on if you plan to feather the clutch, or just want to side step it. It could take a little more RPM, perhaps a little less. Do you want no lift shift enabled then since you're tracking the car, or are you okay with it off? I leave it off in the beginning of the tune, then ask if guys want it turned on.
MM082001

Post by MM082001 »

Yeah, it's in the 90* out here. I am going to remove the plastic between the hood and windshield for better air flow. I built a strut tower brace that ties into the top of the pass side motor mount. I did this to eliminate the rain guard over the valve cover for easier service and a bit better air flow away from the exhaust.
MM082001

Post by MM082001 »

I'm in Concord, so right between both tracks. Sears Point is just cheaper. No, I'm fine without the no lift shift off, it's still my daily driver and I'm hard enough on it.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Gotcha, yeah I'm in the Sacramento area so I know your struggle. I've never been on the Sears Point drag strip, so not sure how the prep is. Although I would assume it is better than Sacramento.

Once you get the HR intake in we can see how the temps looks. I recommend to guys in warm climates like ours to get something like a Heatshield Products blanket on their intake pipe to help reduce the heat soak in the pipe itself. I've done a lot of testing with and without it on my own car, and it makes a substantial difference. Once the pipe gets hot, it is very hard for the heat to get out, with the pipe wrapped, the temps still rise a little at idle, but once you get airflow over the filter the intake temps get very close to ambient. Couple that with some other little mods like you did will help too. Either way, the HR will help over the Injen SRI, so you're on the right path.

https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/cold-intake-shield

Okay we'll leave the no shift off. You can always have it on in the background, but never use it. I know what you mean though, every one I have tuned seems to not like the no lift shift.
MM082001

Post by MM082001 »

Looks like I'm not going to the track today. Are the intake temps any lower? Doubt it. It's 91* and the AC was on.
Attachments
datalog0003.fpdl
(3.26 MiB) Downloaded 73 times
datalog0004.fpdl
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 67 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Still very hot. But that is to be expected where the filter sits. It's up around 130* when you're crushing around coming off a signal light, with a high of about 146*. When you go WOT it helps a lot just because of the airflow, other than that it is hot. Generally all you can hope for is within 10* of ambient, so best case scenario you're looking at 101*. On your WOT pull it got down to 106*, but then went back up quickly.

Other than that, it looked really good. Made a couple WOT fueling adjustments for this next one, part throttle fueling looked great. No knock on the WOT pulls, we had one in part throttle driving and one right as you took off from a stop. Made some ignition adjustments for those. Not bad at all for two revisions, we might be there on this one.
MM082001.SD.Rev03 (Vtec4600).fpcal
(22.44 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
MM082001

Post by MM082001 »

Feels great. It's hard to get in a full 3rd gear pull. I started the pull with a cop on the other side of the intersection.
Attachments
next.fpdl
(3.61 MiB) Downloaded 72 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah that's why we have you do the pulls in third gear. Fourth gear pulls get too high in speeds and can really get you in trouble. At least third keeps the speeds little lower and safer for an open stretch of road.

Looks really good. Intake temps were a lot better on that one, 70s, 80s, and 90* temps. The WOT pull was 79* which is a great spot to tune it. No knock at all on that one which is great. I made a couple adjustments to this next one, nothing major, just cleaning up a few things. It is pretty much ready to go, but if you feel like making another datalog with this one feel free and post it. Otherwise, have fun with it until you get the intake on and then let me know. I monitor this forum pretty good, but just send me a PM or email when you have it ready to go with the intake. My email is under the calibration tab of your files. Then we'll get started on tuning it with the intake.
MM082001.SD.Rev04 (Vtec4600).fpcal
(22.52 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
MM082001

Post by MM082001 »

I gotta say thanks. The car hasn't drivin this smooth since before the programmer. I was starting to think the notchy shifting was me. I might be out at the track next Wednesday (sac) if you think you might be there, would be great to meet you. Do you have a shop or is tuning something you do for fun? Can't wait for the new parts!!!!!
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Glad you're happy with it. As soon as I saw your file before we started I knew there was a lot of room for improvement, so I am glad it worked out well. I get a lot of guys that feel like you, wondering if the choppiness between shifts is you or what. When so much is happening every time you let off the gas, it's hard for the car to drive smooth. Once you get everything to calm down when you let off the gas, the fuel trims are good, VTC stays static, etc, it all helps. I always say a tune is a bunch of little things that make the bigger picture great. Short of boost, there really isn't anything big inside the tune to make great, it's all the little details that make it right.

Let me know if you make it out the track, I might be able to make it out there. I don't have a shop, wish I had a dyno. So hard to find a good dyno for a good price. And the only local dyno near me is Mustang dyno, which will show lower readings than a dynojet, so Honda guys would hate it. Haha. I have been thinking about trying to work out a deal with them so I can get the local guys on a dyno to get the best out of it. I wish someone had a hyb dyno around, that would be ideal.

Let me know if you will be out there, then I will see if I can make it over there.