2009 Si VTEC tunning

Calibrations for FlashPro Manager - Use all calibrations at your own risk (dyno tuning recommended)

patiln

2009 Si VTEC tunning

Post by patiln »

Hi,

I just got flashpro and running MAP based stock tune on my car. The only mod I have is a Stage 2 Takeda SRI. I like the overall performance of the car on the stock tune. VTEC engagement at 4350 rpm makes a huge difference but I prefer the loud engagement at 5800 rpm. Can I change the VTEC(low and high) to 5800 rpm on the stock tune? Will that cause any negative effects on the engine?

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks You
EFICU

Re: 2009 Si VTEC tunning

Post by EFICU »

You can set the engagement for 5800 on both the high and low threshold without any issue. I wouldn’t go any higher than that though. Based on Hondata’s research, at 6500 the engine can experience valve float if still on the low cam which can cause damage. Are you okay with losing performance for the sake of sound? Because a loud crossover sound is generally the result of a less than optimal vtc cam angle map. But the point of the car is to have fun, so if you like it that’s all that matters.

Other than that, no real issues. You will most likely lose some performance as the cam angle rotation at 5800 on the low cam will be very different from the rotation commanded on the high cam at 5800. Causing the vtc to chase itself resulting in less than optimal performance and afrs in most cases.

If you don’t plan to make any adjustments to the tune yourself other than the vtec engagement, I can help you optimize it for vtec at 5800. And we can play with lower engagements like 5000 or something to find a common ground of sound and performance for you.