2011 Fa5 E85 stock

Calibrations for FlashPro Manager - Use all calibrations at your own risk (dyno tuning recommended)

adamhay93

2011 Fa5 E85 stock

Post by adamhay93 »

This is going to sound dumb, the fuel where I live gives my car absurd amount of knock. It doesn't matter which "grade" I always put 91 or 93 octane in and I get knock like crazy, there's only a couple stations that make sense to use on a regular basis. One of them has e85. The car is mostly stock, I'm not looking to run E85 for power reasons, I feel like I have to run it in order to keep knock down. I have been mixing it, 5 gallons of of E85 and the rest 93 and it seems to do good for the knock, but It feels "sluggish" with this fuel mixture.

Would a tune for E85 be worth it without getting a bigger fuel pump and larger injectors? This is my daily and I just want to be able to drive my car without it sounding like there is a 10mm socket rattling around in my engine bay. Yes that's how bad the knock is if I don't use E85.

With the mixture I'm running there is very little to no knock for my drive to and from work, which is about a 20 minute drive with mixed city and highway driving. If I have to buy the fuel pump and larger injectors to run straight E85 then that's what I'll do simply for the safety of the motor. But if I can get away with the stock injectors and a good E85 tune then that would be awesome too.

I thought I datalogged the drive before and after the E85 but I must not have because the logs I have are for 91. I will get a datalog tomorrow if need be, but this is just ridiculous! I have it set to flash the CEL on knock since I can't have a laptop in the car all the time to watch what's going on. But the CEL flashes like crazy and it pings with straight 91, however I only see it flash once or twice with heavy load at lower rpm with the E85 mixture.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: 2011 Fa5 E85 stock

Post by Spunkster »

Have you installed a flex fuel sensor?
adamhay93

Post by adamhay93 »

I have the sirimoto flex fuel kit, but I haven't installed it yet. I was kind of hoping I could tune it with the stock injectors and fuel pump to safely run E85 since I have so much knock with normal 91 or 93. I can run 93 if I add vp racing fuel additive, which supposedly bumps the octane to 101. But that is much more expensive than just mixing E85. I just feel like I'm missing out on safe drivability when I do that.

EDIT: I'm trying to upload the datalog and map that I'm using, but flashpro keeps freezing when trying to update the firmware of the device... I've already uninstalled and reinstalled flashpro manager and it still keeps "unresponding" as soon as I click okay for the firmware update.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Unplug the FlashPro from the vehicle when updating the firmware.

If you plan to use ethanol, you will need to install the Flex fuel sensor so that it can be tuned to alter the fueling/ignition based on the ethanol content.
adamhay93

Post by adamhay93 »

Okay thank you, I'll get that installed asap and post back here with a datalog and map. Thanks again.