Differnce between Stock equivalent and "return ecu to stock"

Calibrations for FlashPro Manager - Use all calibrations at your own risk (dyno tuning recommended)

lerphy

Differnce between Stock equivalent and "return ecu to stock"

Post by lerphy »

Hey guys, I'm wondering if the stock equivalent and the option to return ecu to stock should produce the results in terms of ignition and knock control. The reason I have this question is that I have a completely stock SI and as for right now I only want to run a tuned MAP based calibration to get rid of rev hang and retain all the ecu's ability to adjust ignition with regard to the fuel it's getting.
I copied every table of low and high cam ignition and every table of the knock control menu, low and high ignition limit, knock sensitivity, etc. I'm consistently getting knocks from low rpm high load situations, I know that few knocks in these area won't do engine much harm but having return the ecu back to stock I noticed that no matter what, the car simply will not knock, even during uphill, 1k rpm, WOT to test things out. Also, I noticed that "k. control" on the "return to stock" option will quite accurately estimate my current octane rating. I'm using the highest octane I can find in my area which around 100 RON, and the "k. control" will register a low %. Comparing to the "stock equivalent" calibration, the "k. control" will simply go higher and higher until 100% every time a knock is detected. All these leads me to believe that these two calibrations aren't identical, but it could simply be some stupid mistake I have made somewhere along the way.
Guys, please help me out, I love the way the car drives after the rev hang is gone, except the knock control problem. Let me know if you guys need any additional information or datalog or anything. Thanks
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Differnce between Stock equivalent and "return ecu to st

Post by Hondata »

What calibration are you using?
Hondata
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

A map based race calibration is not going to run the same as a return to stock calibration. A better comparison would be the AFM base stock equvalent and a return to stock. You can still tune via map on an AFM calibration.
lerphy

Post by lerphy »

Thanks for the replies. I understand that a AFM and MAP calibration will run differently, however I'm simply puzzled to how the AFM stock equivalent calibration would cause knocks while the "return to stock" wouldn't as I would like to use the stock ignition for my stock (for now) Si. I attached the calibration I'm using at the moment. Thanks again.
Attachments
1.00.fpcal
(20.65 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
engjoo

Post by engjoo »

lerphy wrote:Thanks for the replies. I understand that a AFM and MAP calibration will run differently, however I'm simply puzzled to how the AFM stock equivalent calibration would cause knocks while the "return to stock" wouldn't as I would like to use the stock ignition for my stock (for now) Si. I attached the calibration I'm using at the moment. Thanks again.
That is the same as the FD2 type R. Hondata's explanation is the "stock equivalent" is not binary identical to what comes from the factory but rather it is Hondata's interpretation of what would be "very close" to stock.

My experience is that it is noticebly different to stock and yes, it knocks a lot.
Pir8pete

Post by Pir8pete »

I've complained too in the past. When blue in the face trying to my my 8thgen work properly "like stock" with no luck. sold the F'ing thing and said forget it.