Help with a tune for a 2008 Acura CSX Type S

Calibrations for FlashPro Manager - Use all calibrations at your own risk (dyno tuning recommended)

Moist

Re: Help with a tune for a 2008 Acura CSX Type S

Post by Moist »

Alright here is the datalog without that stupid bag haha. I threw it in the garbage LOL. Definitely feels more responsive than before crazy how a bag can change things. Car is feeling great and wants to rev hahaha.

Also Im curious what kind of TSX is it is it a Type S and what mods do you have on yours?

Thanks!
Attachments
datalog0011 (Moist).fpdl
(5 MiB) Downloaded 82 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah overall it looks really good still. I made a couple changes, nothing major. We had a knock in the exact same area as before, so I pulled a little timing there in this next one. Also had a part throttle knock as well, so I touched up the ignition there. Take this one for a spin and make a datalog tomorrow or Thursday and post it for me to look at.

Glad it feels a little stronger. It is funny how that things robs you of power. I would imagine higher HP engines aren't impacted as bad, but for these engines it seems to hinder power and responsiveness by a good margin. I've been contemplating asking guys if they have one when we start working on their cars, which I really might do now to make sure they don't have one on there.

My TSX is a US spec car, so it's just a TSX, we don't get Type S badging or anything here. It's the same K24 that everyone wants, minus the boring 25* VTC sadly. I don't really want to dig in the engine to swap to a 45*, plus it's just a driver so no need to screw with things. I only have an intake and HFC, nothing special.

We'll see how the next datalog works out and go from there. I only have one other trick to make it run a little better which we'll throw in there for you try in the next revision after this to see what you think. In the meantime, have fun with this version without the screen on the filter and we'll see how it looks in a day or two.
Moist.SD.Rev10 (Blended)(Vtec4600).fpcal
(22.66 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Moist

Post by Moist »

Cool thanks I will take it for a spin tomorrow! Is it just a balance with timing in the high ranges to prevent knocking?

Also thats pretty cool! I love the tsx look I know in Canada here there is a type s version but I haven't seen many they are rare but the regular version is awesome. I love when people get the Js racing body kit and stuff on it.

Yeah haha damn I feel stupid for just not fully taking off the bumper earlier but yeah you are right it definitely makes such a difference its almost worth it for a first question before tuning.

Thanks again I appreciate it!
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah there are just places that certain cars are a little more sensitive than others for ignition. Which is why a one size fits all tune is very difficult to provide. Hence why the OEM tune has so many compensations and knock control strategies so that it can do a good job, but tuning is ideal for your car. It could be just the addition of the intake and no exhaust mods that makes it cause a knock in that one area. A couple knocks is no big deal, I just feel it’s my responsibility to get them knock free for you guys. Horsepower gained from ignition that may cause a knock vs ignition that won’t knock is very small, so why run the edge is how I look at it. Where yours is seeing the knock on the last two datalogs is very normal, just pointing out what I change and when so you guys are involved in the process.

I love my TSX. I have the OEM Euro R front lip and grille, stock side skirts and the US A-Spec rear lip. So I guess technically we do get a “spec” version, but it’s nothing to brag about here. I got it a couple years ago with super low mileage. Sometimes late night craigslist finds are worth it.

It’s all good on the prefilter, glad I asked. Especially at your elevation, you need all the air you can get up there.

Enjoy it now and we’ll see how it looks in the next datalog. You’re welcome!
Moist

Post by Moist »

Hey haha here is the next one car felt awesome! was really fun and responsive to drive today haha. Hopefully this one is looking good seems to be great based on when I took a quick peak. I can grab another datalog later when its cooler out if need be.

Also nice thats some good stuff for customization on a tsx. Honestly sounds like a fun package you got there tbh haha.

Thanks
Attachments
datalog0012 (Moist).fpdl
(4.99 MiB) Downloaded 72 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Looks really good! I think we're there. Fueling looks great and no knock.

Take this one attached for a drive and see what you think. It's got a different pedal map in it for the relationship between the pedal and throttle body. See what you think. It's basically the same file as the Rev10, just with the pedal map noted in the file name.

Other than that, make a datalog on Friday and then we'll have you make one on Sunday or something. If both look good, I think we can call it good to go.
Moist

Post by Moist »

Awesome thanks I will do that then! I will drive it around for a bit and feel it out and make the datalog on friday and sunday! Thanks so much I am having fun learning about the different changes that go on with the car.

Also question for you sort of random. If I was in the middle of no where and had to fill up a lower octane. Bascially I would just drive the tank at slow speeds until the tank is dried out and can fill up 91 again right?

Mostly was just curious thats all haha.

Thanks
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Good deal. Yeah I try to involve you guys in what we change and why. Even if you guys don't really care to know the process, some of you do. So instead of just saying here you go, I try to let you know what we're doing and why.

If you go somewhere and they only have lower octane, I would recommend to add with the highest octane they do have and only add enough gas to get you somewhere you know may have higher octane. So if you go somewhere and all they have is 87, put in just enough to get you to somewhere you know has 91. If 6 gallons will get you there, throw in 6 gallons. I wouldn't recommend filling it up on 87 unless you're are legit in the middle of nowhere and have no idea where the next station is. I leave all the factory protections in place, so if it does see knock, the ECU will step in and pull timing to try to remove that knock. It might not pull enough to remove all the knock, but it will help to remove or reduce it.

Then once you get to somewhere with 91, fill up as much as you can to raise the octane level as soon as possible. In all honesty, you don't need to panic. If you have to put 87 in, don't do any WOT driving and make sure not to lug it around at low speed and higher gears. Meaning don't be driving at 45 mph in fifth gear, or whatever your conversion is in kilometers. You want to keep the revs up so you're not lugging around at low speeds in higher gears like that. You can run in 6th gear on your highway runs like on a road trip, but when you're in town with 87 octane, I wouldn't go any higher than fourth gear while driving around town. That type of in town driving in fifth gear will cause the most knock possibilities.

Honestly though don't sweat it. We aren't running the ragged edge on timing even with 91 because I don't like running the edge, so you'll be fine either way. Just be smart in your driving if you do put less than 91 in there and you'll be fine. But definitely don't let it psych you out, especially if you're out on a road trip having fun. We can enable a feature in the tune that flashes the check engine light when a knock is recorded if you want that on. That would let you know if it is knocking or not in that scenario. Let me know if you want that enabled.
Moist

Post by Moist »

Makes sense I will try not to obviously do that haha but yeah good to know in town what to do just incase! Thanks I will keep that in mind. Its mostly for those situations anyway when you are in the middle of nowhere but I guess if I make a long trip I might just bring a gas tank anyway just incase haha. No point in not preparing.

Also damn haha I honestly appreciate you letting me know to be honest even if I am not too knowledgeable about this stuff its still cool to know how the car reacts. I am somewhat learning when watching the datalogs for the fun of it but yeah I don't know too much but it is fun anyway. Makes me appreciate what you guys do a lot haha.

Anyway I am excited to take this revision out to test it out. I will think about it maybe might just have a revision with the feature on just in case. Sounds like a useful feature to be honest haha

Thanks!
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah the extra gas can is up to you. It’s honestly not too necessary, but if it makes it less stressful for you then it’s worth it. If you want, I have some data from a guy who was running 87 and I gave him a file to remove the knock while he had that octane in there. We could make you an “87” tune that you could have loaded in secondary slot on the FlashPro. Then if while on a road trip, if 87 or 89 was the only available octane, you could just upload that tune while you have lower octane in the tank. To me, carrying the FP on you while on a roadtrip makes for a better setup than taking a fuel can with you. But it’s up to you, let me know.

Glad you’re enjoying the process. You get to see how everything we do while tuning each cam angle makes the car feel different. And also why doing it that way allows you to make the proper cam angle map based on what your car wants.

We’ll see how everything goes in this newest revision, then we’ll male a final revision with the check engine light flash for knock on and make an “87” tune for you as well if you want.
Moist

Post by Moist »

Sure haha I mean I guess just incase not like I will really run into that but I will follow your advice on keeping my FP with me haha.

Also wow today driving it felt soo good feels like the car is quick with the sport pedal. What sort of changes did you do cause damn it feels great. actually better than when I was driving it couple days ago.

Thanks
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah I mean having the FP on you is overkill too honestly, but if it gives you peace of mind on a road trip then it's worth it. I wouldn't sweat it though for daily driving, but again, if it makes you feel better then it's priceless.

The pedal map just gives you a little more of a direct feel with the pedal to the throttle body relationship. Sort of like on new Civics or other cars with a "sport" button, part of that sport mode changes the relationship of the pedal to throttle body ratio to make it "sportier". So this is the same type of strategy basically. Though the goal is to make the relationship feel more direct, but not to make the car faster. In theory you could make the throttle body open 100% at only 10% throttle pedal movement. Nobody would do that, but just saying, you can make it do just about whatever you want. We can control the throttle pedal movement percentage to how much the throttle body opens at that pedal percentage. So the goal is to make it feel more sporty or direct without overdoing it and making it feel fake fast I guess is the best way to say it. That's why I wait until the end to put the sport pedal map in there so you guys aren't on sensory overload from the beginning. All the other files have my base pedal map in them, which is better than OEM, but the sport pedal map is just a bit more direct. I know when I first got my old 8th gen Si, I was surprised at the disconnect feeling from a drive by wire system as it was my first DBW car. To me, the pedal map being adjusted makes the pedal feel more like a cable throttle body in my mind, granted there is still no physical connection, but my brain thinks there is anyways.

Glad you like the pedal map. Enjoy it, and post up a datalog tomorrow if you can and we'll see how it looks.
Moist

Post by Moist »

Makes sense with the direct feel you put it into words better than me. Honestly it reminds me of my old Corolla XRS wit hthe 2zz which had a cable throttle which is nice haha. Its like you say makes your brain think its a cable haha. Here is the next datalog. Car is feeling great!

Thanks
Attachments
datalog0013 (Moist).fpdl
(4.86 MiB) Downloaded 76 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah that is sort of what I am going for with the pedal map is giving you that mental connection with the throttle pedal that so many people hate from a DBW. Doing that without making it feel falsely fast is my goal, so I am glad you like it.

It all looks great in the datalog! No knock, part throttle trims look great, WOT fueling is dead on. I think we're there. Go ahead and make one more datalog this weekend sometime and if it all looks good I think we can call it good to go. I will attach a final revision for you, this one has that check engine light flashing feature for when it shows a knock. Other than that, it's the same as Rev10. I made it Rev11 and noted "Final" in the title.
Moist.SD.Rev11 (FInal)(Vtec4600)(SportPedal).fpcal
(22.88 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Moist

Post by Moist »

Awesome glad to hear the car is running smooth! I will make my datalog on Sunday and hopefully that should be all good to go.

Thank you sooo much man this has been fun!