RE4 license stored in hondata usb-serial cable?

ROM Editor 4 tuning software questions and answers.
carnot

RE4 license stored in hondata usb-serial cable?

Post by carnot »

My car was tuned a few years ago using romeditor3. A friend of mine has the following and I am interested in buying so that I can tune my s200 (boost and datalogging enabled):
1. romulator
2. hondata usb-serial cable
3. burn2 chip programmer (moates.net)

He did not mention whether or not he has a CD with RE4 on it. If I have the special hondata usb-serial cable can I use the RE4 available via download from hondata.com to tune my car? Will the special hondata usb-serial cable only work with a specific s200 box? Will I still need to purchase a copy of RE4 or should my friend have a unlock code since he has the special hondata usb-serial cable? Thanks for any help.

PS. I know upgrading to the s300 unit is more cost effective and has more features but I am getting a good deal on the hardware.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

What is the serial number of the s200 and what is the serial number of the cable?
carnot

Post by carnot »

The serial number on my s200 is: s200-3017

I do not have the cable so I will have to get back to you about the serial on that. Is it true that having the special Hondata usb-serial cable is part of the security and is absolutely necessary to use RE4? A keyspan type adapter will not work with RE4? Thanks for any help.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

That is correct. You would be much better off just upgrading to the s300 though.