H23a Vtec Basemap and Final Tune

Calibrations for S-Manager - Use all calibrations at your own risk (dyno tuning recommended)
mishakol129

H23a Vtec Basemap and Final Tune

Post by mishakol129 »

Hey i'm new does anyone have any idea how to get a stock (with bolt ons) H23a blue top (Vtec) tuned with Hondata s300 without having to pay somone to do it for you? So far I've tried a tuned H22 basemap, a HaMotorsports basemap, a updated fuel injector map, and a stock H22 map, each of these maps smoothed out the Vtec crossover compared to the basemapped and chipped ECU I had before (from Phearable), but they all seemed to lack the power of that basemap. It seemed I had better power from the basemap/chipped ECU.

My problem is trying to figure out how to tune the motor so it feels quicker I don't have a wideband as of yet I may buy one in the future but I feel quite let down with Hondata and need someone to help me. A person told me to just change the injector flow rate and it will change the maps.

If you read this please give me a few insights. A few places offer online tunes but they are way out of my budget. I need a solution or I am thinking about leaving the Honda scene to be honest. Hate to say so.

Thanks and ya'll don't get the Rona, lol.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: H23a Vtec Basemap and Final Tune

Post by Spunkster »

To get the most out of a fully tunable system, you will need to fully tune it on the dyno. You cannot expect a calibration tuned for something else or even a different engine to give you the results you want.
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

mishakol129 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:18 pm Hey i'm new does anyone have any idea how to get a stock (with bolt ons) H23a blue top (Vtec) tuned with Hondata s300 without having to pay somone to do it for you? So far I've tried a tuned H22 basemap, a HaMotorsports basemap, a updated fuel injector map, and a stock H22 map, each of these maps smoothed out the Vtec crossover compared to the basemapped and chipped ECU I had before (from Phearable), but they all seemed to lack the power of that basemap. It seemed I had better power from the basemap/chipped ECU.

My problem is trying to figure out how to tune the motor so it feels quicker I don't have a wideband as of yet I may buy one in the future but I feel quite let down with Hondata and need someone to help me. A person told me to just change the injector flow rate and it will change the maps.

If you read this please give me a few insights. A few places offer online tunes but they are way out of my budget. I need a solution or I am thinking about leaving the Honda scene to be honest. Hate to say so.

Thanks and ya'll don't get the Rona, lol.
Like spunkster said you can not expect to have a well running car from tunes made for other engines. What tune was the car running on the chip prior to running Hondata?

Changing the injector flow rate can help the car run better but the timing and fuel will still need modification.

In regards to online tunes, there are users on here and many other forums that are willing to help you tune the car or remote tune the car for a price. This goes back to how much you want to spend on a tune and this requires you to purchase a wideband.

This might be a good chance for you to learn more about how the ECU functions and learn to tune the car. If you learn you never have to pay for a tune.

I don't think it makes sense to leave a platform just because you can not get a car to run well on a basemap. If you go to Chevy you will need a custom tune from HP TUNERS, Lancer Evolutions = ECU FLash, Subaru = COBB the list will go on and on.

-Ed
mishakol129

Post by mishakol129 »

CalibratEd wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:06 pm

Like spunkster said you can not expect to have a well running car from tunes made for other engines. What tune was the car running on the chip prior to running Hondata?

Changing the injector flow rate can help the car run better but the timing and fuel will still need modification.

In regards to online tunes, there are users on here and many other forums that are willing to help you tune the car or remote tune the car for a price. This goes back to how much you want to spend on a tune and this requires you to purchase a wideband.

This might be a good chance for you to learn more about how the ECU functions and learn to tune the car. If you learn you never have to pay for a tune.

I don't think it makes sense to leave a platform just because you can not get a car to run well on a basemap. If you go to Chevy you will need a custom tune from HP TUNERS, Lancer Evolutions = ECU FLash, Subaru = COBB the list will go on and on.

-Ed

I had it tuned with a basemap from Phearable and running on a socketed P28. A nice guy in Charlotte NC gave me a P75 and also installed the s300 for me. So that's what its running now.

And i was just overwhelmed by it and dissapointed with the basemaps that I had tried when i got the s300, car seems slow. However, I am getting an actual wideband and a laptop for datelogging. My next questing is how to setup the wideband, a guy called HuntersTuning on Youtube said Hondata would suggest required fuel map changes from a wideband input, but i'm not sure how to go about hooking it up to the s300. I heard there is a wideband plug on the s300, i bought a Innovate 3918 wideband and im not sure how to wire it up. I'm going to be using a stock o2 sensor as well.

And yeah that makes sense to learn on your own like I work my ass off and I simply don't like the idea of throwing all my money away to tuners who might not even do a good enough job on it. Do you guys think you can help me learn?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

YOu can use the analog signal from the wideband controller and input it into one of the ECU inputs(I recommend D10). This will allow you to run closed loop from the wideband.

http://www.hondata.com/help/smanager/wi ... b=wideband
mishakol129

Post by mishakol129 »

Spunkster wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:30 pm YOu can use the analog signal from the wideband controller and input it into one of the ECU inputs(I recommend D10). This will allow you to run closed loop from the wideband.

http://www.hondata.com/help/smanager/wi ... b=wideband
What is the difference between closed look and open loop? And what is a stock sensor open loop? Or does that just mean the sensor was disabled? I'm confused lol.

And so I need the gauge to see the AFR or will I just be able to use the Hondata app? Maybe even the bluetooth app? the gauge just seems like a nuisanne to me honestly
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Closed loop uses the oxygen sensor to adjust the fueling to get as close as possible to a pre determined AF ratio. Open loop uses only the fuel tables and does not adjust anything.

If a wideband is wired in then you can see the AF ratio in the software.
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

mishakol129 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:43 am
CalibratEd wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:06 pm

-Ed

I had it tuned with a basemap from Phearable and running on a socketed P28. A nice guy in Charlotte NC gave me a P75 and also installed the s300 for me. So that's what its running now.

And i was just overwhelmed by it and dissapointed with the basemaps that I had tried when i got the s300, car seems slow. However, I am getting an actual wideband and a laptop for datelogging. My next questing is how to setup the wideband, a guy called HuntersTuning on Youtube said Hondata would suggest required fuel map changes from a wideband input, but i'm not sure how to go about hooking it up to the s300. I heard there is a wideband plug on the s300, i bought a Innovate 3918 wideband and im not sure how to wire it up. I'm going to be using a stock o2 sensor as well.

And yeah that makes sense to learn on your own like I work my ass off and I simply don't like the idea of throwing all my money away to tuners who might not even do a good enough job on it. Do you guys think you can help me learn?
Hondata has great documentation. In the software there is a help link in every tab. If you have a question in regards to what a table does you can use that link. Yes, hunter tuned has a lot of great video that can help you understand the software.

I see you asked about closed loop and open loop. First thing you have to do is learn the theory of how the systems work. It will help you better understand how the engine and computer functions. Greg Banish has some great books on this.

Second thing is learning how the software functions.

The forums are full of people who are willing to help you learn. You just have to put in the effort on your end as well.

-Ed
mishakol129

Post by mishakol129 »

Ok thank you.

I bought a Phearable.net calibration file for the s300 and it seemed to be a good map however I am having trouble using my USB data cable and also my bluetooth only connects sometimes. The USB driver is not being recognized by Windows when I plug in the s300, but it does work when i disconnect the ECU from the wiring harness. I just can't upload maps or do anything it just sees the s300 unit. Its really annoying because i spent 160 dollars on the laptop and I can't even use the dang data cable or bluetooth. I tried to reinstall the Smanager program, no luck. .

I'm sure the answers are on google and on this site but I have looked and I can't seem to find a solution even with the answers I did look at.
mishakol129

Post by mishakol129 »

The s300 board was just loose someone said that could happen on the forums. I fixed the USB connection problem. I didn't try the bluetooth but I imagine that also was the problem too.

On a second note I bought the Innovate MTX 3918 and I'm confused as to how to wire it to the ECU so that I can use it to its full effects. It has one big wire plug to the oxygen sensor itself, which plugs in like OEM into the gauge, then there are a bunch of colored wires. I was seeing on youtube a guy saying that Hondata will suggest certain adjustments to the fuel maps based on the wideband input I would really like to be able do that. Thanks so much
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The details for connecting the wideband can be found at: http://www.hondata.com/help/smanager/wi ... b=wideband
mishakol129

Post by mishakol129 »

Spunkster wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:01 am The details for connecting the wideband can be found at: http://www.hondata.com/help/smanager/wi ... b=wideband
I just connected the wideband and set it up according to Xenocromes guide, using the D10 wire for the ECU side, and severing the side of that wire from the ecu side. I also connected the power wire to A25, and Ground wire to A24. My issue is the guage is reading all strange and going to 22-24 to 7 AFR and making like a light show. Can you explain if this is normal or not? I might just go for a test drive but Im not sure if its normal. I have the stock o2 installed. Thanks.
mishakol129

Post by mishakol129 »

Spunkster wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:01 am The details for connecting the wideband can be found at: http://www.hondata.com/help/smanager/wi ... b=wideband
I calibrated it and went for a test drive, it helped the gauge a little but it was still going nuts. Idk what I'm gonna do maybe I have a exhaust leak or maybe my catalytic converter is clogged. Or maybe my wiring is not good does it HAVE to have the ground wire going to the thermostat housing? Thanks again.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Have you removed the resistors listed at: http://www.hondata.com/help/smanager/wi ... b=wideband
mishakol129

Post by mishakol129 »

Spunkster wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:24 am Have you removed the resistors listed at: http://www.hondata.com/help/smanager/wi ... b=wideband
I did. Im gonna try and do an "open air" calibration. The Bluetooth readings on my phone also had the o2 sensor going bonkers, would not stay in one place. The readings were everywhere. The voltage and the AFR readings. The gauge does pull a e9 code and that means low voltage but that code only flashes one time for a second or so then it gives the readings. Its puzzling man. Plz help.