Check Engine Light comes on

Hondata installation questions / answers / issues.
dlc18

Check Engine Light comes on

Post by dlc18 »

I have the s200 with boost option. It is running a turboed B20VTEC in a 97 civic. I live in Arizona and the check engine light has been coming on when I drive the car in the heat of the day. It also is coming on when I drive the hard (in full boost). As soon as I turn the igniton off, the light goes out and does not come on again for a while. The car runs fine when the light is on and goes into full boost. Its just anoying and I am not sure if something is wrong. Please let me know what you think.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

FIrst you must check hte error code. Once you know what error you are throwing you can begin troubleshooting.
dlc18

Post by dlc18 »

First of all, I have to leave the car running or the light will go out. When I short the blue connector, the check engine light just turns off. Then when I take the pin out of the blue connector it comes back on. It was nice outside this morning and out of no where it came back on when I was on the highway. Any suggestions?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You can only check the codes while the car is running. If you have a code, don't turn the car off until you check the code. You can alos go to any Hondata dealer and they can help you check the code via datalogging if you do not have that option.
dlc18

Post by dlc18 »

I'm telling you, I have tried to check the code while the car is running, but the CEL just goes out when I short the blue connector. It does not flash or anything. I would take it to a Hondata dealer, but it doesn't come on all the time. With the weather cooling off, it comes on even less. Like I said, everything seems to be working fine. Shoul I just not worry about it?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You need to try reading the code when datalogging, not the jumper method.
dlc18

Post by dlc18 »

Is that something I can do, or do I have to take it to a dealer? If I can do that, how do I go about it? Thanks for your help.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

was the car tuned with romeditor 3 or romeditor 4? Did you purchase the datalogging option?