Not sure which is bad, ECU or Hondata?

Hondata installation questions / answers / issues.
akura404

Not sure which is bad, ECU or Hondata?

Post by akura404 »

I have a P28 ECU with a Hondata S200 installed. My problem is that I cannot rev pass 3000 RPM and I know for a fact that it is either my ECU or the Hondata S200. I know this is because I have replaced my p28 w/hondata with an unmodified P72 OBD1 and P28 ECU they'd both rev up just fine. All of my Engine check lights have been taken care of. And even with the hondata, there is no check light.

What could it possibly be? Should I have someone burn me another map? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Clutch

Re: Not sure which is bad, ECU or Hondata?

Post by Clutch »

akura404 wrote:I have a P28 ECU with a Hondata S200 installed. My problem is that I cannot rev pass 3000 RPM and I know for a fact that it is either my ECU or the Hondata S200. I know this is because I have replaced my p28 w/hondata with an unmodified P72 OBD1 and P28 ECU they'd both rev up just fine. All of my Engine check lights have been taken care of. And even with the hondata, there is no check light.

What could it possibly be? Should I have someone burn me another map? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Read this ... taken from the S200 Manual

Resolving Problems

Take note of what the LED on the front panel of the interface box does when the ignition is switched on (with early interface boxes this LED is inside the interface box).

The engine will only rev to 3200 rpm

In this situation the error codes cannot be retrieved from the ECU (the check light will remain on solidly). The ECU is in ?limp home mode?, which means that there is a problem accessing the ROM so the ECU is running off a backup processor. The ECU will use fixed ignition and fuel values. Possible causes for this problem:

? ROM inserted the wrong way around.
? Incorrect ROM for the ECU (see page 6).
? Jumper J1 not installed or incorrect value.
? Bad solder connection to the socket or latch IC (especially with surface mount latch ICs).

The interface box LED does not come on

The interface box is not getting power from the ECU. Possible causes for this problem:

? Interface box cable is not plugged in correctly.
? The cable has broken wires or is shorting out. Check for +5V between CN2 or CN3 pins 1 and 3 on the ECU.

The interface box LED flashes once and goes out

Reset the interface box by holding down the rev set button while switching the ignition on.

The interface box LED is flashing slowly

The problem lies with the Hondata interface box not being able to communicate with the ECU. Possible causes for this problem:

? Incorrect ROM used for the ECU.
? ROM inserted the wrong way around.

The interface box LED flashes and stays on

This is normal behavior for the interface box. The problem lies with the ECU or car. Short the diagnostic connector and read the error codes (see appendix 2 for instructions on how to do this.)