I have this, want to do that - what do I need?

Hondata installation questions / answers / issues.
Wafler

I have this, want to do that - what do I need?

Post by Wafler »

Vehicle: 1992 EUDM Civic VTi 3-door
Engine: B16A2 (no swap, it is oem :P )
ECU: P30-G <----
OBD: OBD1 (the grey plugs)

Now, ShopX will sell me Hondata S200 with a basemap written upon the info I give them on my current setup.

1. If I want to run my engine with this basemap, I only need the S200? Or must something have to be done with the ECU?

2. If I want to tweak some, I would need datalogging(this is standard now?) and a wideband lambda? Or more?

3. Where does the Romulator and the rom editor and pocket programmer and all the rest come into the equation?

4. Finally, can a map be edited while in the S200 or does every map have to be burned on an eprom that has to be mounted in the ECU? Every time one wants to change something?

Note: No dyno available on a regular basis...

Can anyone be so kind as to do a write-up of what is needed of equipment and work to do the different things possible with the Hondata?

If this was unclear, please ask and I'll try to explain in my poor Norwenglish :P
SFWD 1934

Post by SFWD 1934 »

http://www.hondata.com/ecus.html

1. S200 is the blue interface box, and EPROM chip (29C256) that is used to change settings in the performance of the motor. The ECU will still have to be "socketed" to accept this set-up. Usually carries a charge for this to be done ($65-$80).

2. To "tweak" something, you would need the ROM editor ($200 I think still) and a Pocket Programmer 2 ($180), along with a PC or laptop with a parallel port. Wideband is for recording and analyzing your AFR.

3. So answer 2 and 3 go hand in hand. The ROMulator is used for "tuning on the dyno." So you can make "real time" adjustments to the buffer. Then go back in ROM editor make sure all was saved correct then burn it ot the EPROM with the Pocket Programmer 2.

4. All maps can be edited through the ROM editor. But it always has to be burned to the EPROM via the Pocket Programmer 2 and replaced in the ECU for it to make a difference.

Note: Never assume that a base map will drive a car right out of the box. You should always get it tuned after having a base map installed. Get it tuned!

Jason
9.86 @ 152
Wafler

Post by Wafler »

Thanks for the answers!

Now, if I have my S200 in my car 24/7 - do I still have to program the eprom and put it in my ECU? I mean, if I have my own S200 - aren't the maps stored in the S200 and therefore no need for an eprom and programmer and so on?
DaX

Post by DaX »

You will need the S200 and a saved .bin file on your ROM [inside your ECU] constantly in the car to drive. The .bin file is saved on the ROM...the interface box allows addition of options, datalogging, and also allows for the ECU to read the Hondata .bin file.

The only way you can get away without having a ROM in your ECU is if you constantly drive around with a ROM emulator and laptop hooked up.
Wafler

Post by Wafler »

So, to sum it up: ( - Required= more or less :P )

- Required: S200 (obviously) - datalogging/3-step rev limiter incl.
- Required: Socketed ECU + EPROM
- Required: Rom Editor for tuning and editing maps yourself
- Required: Rom Emulator(romulator) for time saving and in-car tuning.
- Required: Eprom Programmer(PocketProgrammer) for burning EPROMs
- Required: Wideband lambda

Have I got it right?

Stupid me who thought I didn't need all this stuff and could do it the cheap way :P
turbo_civic_si

Post by turbo_civic_si »

the programmer is optional and would be used as a final burn. so technically you don't have to get it b/c you can tune with the romulator and then ask someone to burn you a chip with the bin file you tuned. that will save you $180.