Please help me with my stage 4

Hondata installation questions / answers / issues.
speed2000si

Please help me with my stage 4

Post by speed2000si »

I am getting a stage 4b, but I currently have a J&S Ultra Safeguard.
I have heard that having the two can cause problems, but I want to keep the J&S for safety. Does anyone know the problems associated with this setup, and what can be done to fix it? Also, if I can use the two together, I should somehow disable the J&S while tuning right?
AndyE

Post by AndyE »

What problems have you heard of? There shouldn't be any problem with this setup - in fact, Hondata specifically mentions it on their web site as an alternative to pricey OBD-I ECUs with built-in knock sensors (P30, P72).

And yes, it would definitely be a good idea to keep the J&S from interfering with your timing while tuning...as I recall, one can simply reduce its trigger sensitivity all the way down.

-Andy
'99 EBP Si
S200 w/everything|12psi JRSC|Heatshield
AEM CAI|Kamikaze headers
Custom (quiet) 2.5" exhaust
Quaife LSD|JUN 9lb flywheel|ACT XTSS clutch
Eibach Pro-Kit/KYB AGX
Full polyurethane bushings/mounts
OZ 16x7 Superleggera + Sumi HTR Z II
Hondata
Site Admin

Hondata with J&S

Post by Hondata »

Don't forget the ECU is still a Honda ECU, reprogrammed by Hondata. If it works with a stock ECU, then it will work with an ECU modified Hondata. At Hondata Matt uses a J&S successfully with Hondata on his supercharged Type R.
Hondata
speed2000si

Post by speed2000si »

ok, thanks guys for putting my worries to rest. I just thought that I read about the tach not working with the two, but maybe I am wrong. It's been a while since I read about it.
kannon

Post by kannon »

I did run into a problem with the tach not working with my J&S Classic and Hondata. The fix is simple. It requires a single resistor used as a jumper across two wires going into the J&S. I don't recall the Ohm rating, but try doing a search with the word resistor on Hostboard, ClubSi or Honda-tech.

If you find the answer, post it here. If you dont find it I'll go take a look at my setup and post it.