idle tuning/surging

Hondata installation questions / answers / issues.
TeknoJunki

idle tuning/surging

Post by TeknoJunki »

I'm using the base map for the JRSC on a d16y8 in a 98 EX. I have a problem with the idle surging when it's not fully warmed up. The surging will only start if there's a load on the engine from the A/C or defroster, or if I give it some gas. The surging stops once the water temp stabilizes. If I start the car and don't touch anything until it's fully warm there aren't any problems at all. Is this the same problem that other people have been having with the low temp thermostats? It sounded like the thermostat was a consistent problem where the idle is never right regardless of the load. I am still running the base map that hondata sent, and haven't had the chance to tune properly. Is the surging something that can be tuned out? If any one has some thoughts please let me know. The idle is not a huge problem but it'd be nice if I could get it steady all the time.

thanks
DaX

Post by DaX »

You should get tuned ASAP. Basemaps are made to get you to the tuner, not to drive around on.

Your problem can probably be solved with tuning. Are you using a low temp thermostat?
TeknoJunki

Post by TeknoJunki »

I think the thermostat is a colder one, it came with the JRSC stage 1 boost kit. I have no idea at what temp it starts to open though. About the tuning, I'm going to wait until I can get a WB O2 to do it myself. For the most part the car runs well maybe a bit on the rich side, but none of the problems that others have seem to run into.
DaX

Post by DaX »

Yeah, I know how it is. I'm anxious to get my stuff on [now that I have nearly every piece I need sitting in front of me]. I'm probably going to drive around on basemap alone for a week.

If you can, replace the thermostat with an OEM one or an equivalent AutoZone thermostat and see if that helps.
Bakeoff

Post by Bakeoff »

while the engine is warming up, it is totally normal to have a rolling idle. It's just a honda thing. Honestly, I've never seen a honda that didn't do it at least 200 rpms...
edlocke

Post by edlocke »

Dumb Question: Did you make sure the coolant system was bled?
TeknoJunki

Post by TeknoJunki »

edlocke: no problems with the cooling system

bakeoff: i suppose it might be normal, but it seems strange that it would warm up just fine without a load, but only starts bouncing if i tap the throttle or turn the A/C on