a few knock sensor questions/concerns

Hondata installation questions / answers / issues.
TeknoJunki

a few knock sensor questions/concerns

Post by TeknoJunki »

I have recently ordered a s200 from moss performance for use on a d16y8 with a JRSC, and yes I know there are many more options for better power but this is what I'm working with. In any case I wanted to find out what was available for a knock sensor. The stock block does not have a knock sensor nor does it have provisions for one. Will I be able to possibly install an OEM knock sensor and have the Hondata properly retard timing from detonation? From searching the board it seemed like some ECUs will and other won't, notably the P28, or maybe it was just older software. Unfortunately I won't know which one I have until it arrives at my doorstep, which I hope is soon. Even if the Hondata can use an OEM sensor would I perhaps be better off with a separate system like the J&S safeguard or other similar ones?

thanks
TeknoJunki

something else

Post by TeknoJunki »

I just noticed after looking at the ECU swap table that the knock sensor is deactivated on a stock ECU above 5000rpm due to the inability to distinguish knock from engine noise. Does the Hondata ECU do this as well? If not how does it deal with the noise? If anyone has any experience with the J&S, does it start getting many false readings above 5000rpm?
Jaker

Post by Jaker »

The Honda (also Hondata) ECU is very limited in its scope for "saving" your engine from detonation (knock). It will not remove enough ignition timing to prevent damage to your engine caused by a lean condition when running your JRSC.

The J&S however is user configurable, and can turn your ignition back by as much as 20 degrees, should it detect sufficient knock. It can also be calibrated to your motor (sensitivity) and will not stop protecting your motor at 5,000 rpm (or any RPM for that matter).
RMS

Post by RMS »

a conservative tune is worth far more than any bandaid. knock detection is a very difficult job...notice that your ecu dedicates 20% of its surface to that one issue? the factory ecu even factors in crank angle when filtering natural noise on a stock engine. no inexpensive aftermarket unit can hope to be as accurate. also, noise from radical cams, forged pistons, and even supercharger's internal drive gears makes the job more difficult. factor in that most detonation in vtec engines will occur below vtec engagement and its hard to justify purchasing an aftermarket unit.

it WOULD be nice if it were possible to set the amount of total retard...20 degrees would be great for initial tuning safety.
RaVer Motorsports (559) 733-4711
ravermotorsports@earthlink.net