Base Timing

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
jew

Base Timing

Post by jew »

so i would think setting base timing in smanager would be pretty straightforward.

click online, then set timing. enter timing value you want to use for base timing, set the same thing with the dizzy and a timing light, close the "set timing" window and you're done.

but i have two questions...

is there a way to see what the base timing is set to in the calibration? i'm assuming that "base timing" is a set value in the s300 and that the timing maps are using the base timing value to add and remove timing in the maps, right?

also, when i try to set my timing while the datalogger is running i'm seeing that the datalogger says that timing is 1 degree advanced from what i'm putting in the "set timing" window. i.e. 16 degrees in the set timing window shows 17* in the display window in the background. whats the deal with that?
V-Spec race development

Post by V-Spec race development »

I think they call that what it's doing is the engine is interpolating the ignition
jew

Post by jew »

how does the engine interpolate when i have a huge plateau set to 16* with it idling right in the middle of this plateau?

not only that but when setting the timing it is supposed to disable any ignition compensation and ignore the map.
jew

Post by jew »

come on spunkster whats the deal here?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

This is normal. Ignore the datalogging and read the timing light.
jew

Post by jew »

alright, thanks.

i'm still wondering though....when i use the "set timing" screen is that just to let me set mechanical timing or is it also setting a value in the smanager software for what base timing is?

i know it really doesn't matter, i'm just curious.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It has nothing to do with software, it is allowing you to set the base timing at the distributor with a timing light.
DOHCAccord

Post by DOHCAccord »

when dataloging, my timing shows 15 degrees but it tuned for 16.25, does that just mean my timing is 1 degree lower?