My hondata S300 Daughter board FRIED???

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
JDMLyfeStyle

My hondata S300 Daughter board FRIED???

Post by JDMLyfeStyle »

Posting for a Friend

This ECU has under 30 minutes of Use

i had my ECU resocketed by hondata cause i thought i might have messed up somewhere. So i get the ECU back and i install the daughterboard and when i start my car it immediately dies. So i reupload a ROM using the Current 1.6 Version

Now if i install my Virgin P30 car fires right up and has no issues running. But if i plug the hondata ECU back in then the car just dies. i have the Early Version of the daughter board on the first releases.. Hondata Serial S300-0070.

Here are some pix of the board. I tried to call hondata 4 times today and didnt get through at all. Im very upset since i got my motor rebuilt and i bought the hondata from Ben @ importparts.com when he was accepting the Pre orders for the S300

Here are the pictures.

I have no clue why this would happen but first day the hondata was in it ran like a champ for about 3 hours then it died while i was driving. i thought it was a motor issue. so i pulled the motor and tore it down and found nothing wrong with it. Put it all back together tried to start the car and it wouldnt. threw in the p30 and purr's like a kitten.

For the love of god someone help me!!!
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

We answer the phone 9-5 PST, and 99.99% of all phone calls get answered, so there should be no reason that he can't get through.

If the ECU came back to us it was tested and working when it went out, so it is going to be either it will be the calibration or some odd with the car. Did the s300 get sent back with the ECU as well? Let us know more about the vehicle and vehicle setup, post the calibration and datalog of the problem occuring if possible. Does it upload? datalog? any error codes?
Hondata
JDMLyfeStyle

Post by JDMLyfeStyle »

The ECU was just shipped to you to chip. he did not send the hondata unit with it. I just went outside 5 mins ago and i cut the J1 Jumper to convert it back to stock and the car fired right up and runs perfectly fine. I think it might be a bad board.

The car setup is
b16a2 block Overbored P30 pistons
stock rods
Stock head
Blox intake manifold

the green light is on just fine. the Upload goes through just fine car does not run long enough to datalog it runs for 1 second then its dead. we used the following calibrations. US and JDM p30 maps. backed the timing for idle back down to 16*
JDMLyfeStyle

Post by JDMLyfeStyle »

If all the lights are working on the board. and the files upload and it Attempts to datalog could there be a problem with it sending tht info to the board. cause im looking at the ECU Board right now and there are no lifted tracks that i can realy see.. just a few scratches in the protective coating on the board
QUICKSILVER RACING

Post by QUICKSILVER RACING »

Could be a bad upload. These daughter boards are very sensitive to low voltage. Check your grounds and battery. Happened in one of my KPRO customers. Turns out the battery went bad because he seldom uses the car.

My S300 serial is 0078. So I wouldn't suspect a bad batch there. My car runs fine except for partial throttle. Had a hard time tuning since I'm using a sid exit header. the pipes are too short to give accurate a/f readings.
HONDATA official and sole Distributor in the Philippines.
http://quicksilver.4t.com
+639178954747
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Two things you must try:

First, try swapping the s300 from one ecu to the other and see if the problem persists.

Second make sure that you have all the pins seated properly. We have seen may problems occur from having them shifted to the left or right or shifted up or down and missing an entire row of pins.
JDMLyfeStyle

Post by JDMLyfeStyle »

All the Pins are seated correctly. the Height of the pins has not been alter'd at all. The S300 is sitting on all the pins correctly

Also if there was a grounding issue with the ECU then how would the ECU still run if the J1 Jumper was removed?

I took the board and the hondata to a local computer shop to have them look it over. and there are no lifted tracks on the P28 board. Just some little scratches in the protective film on the board. They did a continewity (Sp?) Test between the pins and the board and all checked out good on that.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Cutting J1 is not a good test as the ECU does not use the latch and external socket when J1 is cut. As above, does to upload and datalog? If it uploads but does not datalog, then it could be the s300. In this case contact us to arrange to send in both the s300 and ECU so that we can ensure both are working.
Hondata
JDMLyfeStyle

Post by JDMLyfeStyle »

I am going to try to put in a socket and chip in there to see if it works. and i will try to datalog with my old setup and if all that comes out well i will be definately sending the ECU and S300 to you.

I just want to get every single test and possiblity out of the way before i send it out because i dont want to look like an idiot if i didnt do something right..lol

Called up today and talked with matt he was helpful for everything that he was able to do and gave great advice.

Now if there is continewity throughout the boards and the Pins would that be a plus to things or not?
kaj

Post by kaj »

i had the same problem, once. it turns out a couple tracks lifted when my hondata was installed. RMS jumped the needed wires. it's worked great ever since.
JDMLyfeStyle

Post by JDMLyfeStyle »

well i went a rechipped a ECU for S300 to make sure there was no issues. Now when i put the S300 into my BONE STOCK CX. and open up the P28 BIN everything runs Fine.

BUt when i put it into His car 92 CX with b16 swap the car wont even start. Car has a UNTOUCHED wiring harness. nothing is CUT. Stock Engine Harness. I cant figure out what the hell is wrong with it all. I can take a Virgin P28 and put in the car and it fires right up idles great. Im just blown away i have no clue on why it wont work

I called hondata and spoke with matt and he said he didnt have enough information about it.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

You're on the right track with your testing. There is a inconsistency where the s300 works in your CX but not in the B16/CX.

I suggest going back to the basics in the B16A CX:
- is there fuel pressure? (ie is the ECU running the fuel pump)
- does datalogging show the ECU is getting a rpm signal from the distributor while cranking?
- does datalogging show the injectors firing while cranking?
- is there spark?
Hondata
JDMLyfeStyle

Post by JDMLyfeStyle »

The Fuel Pump is on a kill switch but it is not getting its signal from the ECU. Hot off Battery through a Relay and to a hidden switch.

The ECU does attempt to datalog. logs RPM's for 1 second when it tries to run. peak RPM's is 549 RPM's so far.

Havent looked to see if it shows the Injectors Firing.

Im almost 100% positive there is spark but i will get my spark plug tester out and run some test.
JDMLyfeStyle

Post by JDMLyfeStyle »

Ok so tonight I tried a Chipped ECU and the car runs fine on the Chipped ECU.. So there is no problem with the Car picking up the external ROM.. i wonder why it will not pick up on the S300..

Ive tried the Original version
1-06
1-0-9
1-1-5
1-1-6

and Non of those versions can i run th car for more than 1 second.. datalog only shows 316 RPM's maximum. but i do get readings back for all of the other sensors..

I am just Stumped
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Since your other car runs just fine off of the s300 there must be a problem in the car itself or the ECU is damaged. I see you posted on Honda-Tech: "I put his hondata in on my S300 Board and the car did the same thing. but if i use my S300 in his ECU his car runs fine "

This doesn't really make sense, but i assum you meant that you put his s300 on your ecu and there was still a problem , but when you put your s300 on his ecu everything worked perfectly.

Based on this it sounds like you have a bad ecu. Your s300 has no problem.