Boost by Gear Addon?

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Every OE turbo vehicle will control boost from the ECU. ECUs have been used to do this for at least 15 years.

In racing I believe that the concept of delivering a constant torque to the wheels by altering engine torque in each gear has been around since the inception of electronically controlled wastegates, probably two or three decades.
Hondata
kaj

Post by kaj »

Hondata wrote:Every OE turbo vehicle will control boost from the ECU. ECUs have been used to do this for at least 15 years.

In racing I believe that the concept of delivering a constant torque to the wheels by altering engine torque in each gear has been around since the inception of electronically controlled wastegates, probably two or three decades.
understood. i'm just wondering where you guys got the idea to do it with hondata. like.. were you just sitting around and it popped into your head or is this something you guys have been working on for a while? just curious as to how the creative process works. :D
awesome addition to the S300
kaj

Post by kaj »

when i check my help file (help>contents) for info on this feature, nothing comes up. do i need to download something separately?
also, i'll drop the question regarding where you got the idea of how to make this work :)
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Look in the help file under 'Windows/Parameters Window/Boost Control' or do a search for 'Boost Control'. I'll update the index/contents.

I believe I answered the question about the origin of boost by gear - the idea has been around for 20 - 30 years. If you are looking for another answer, then what is the question?
Hondata
kaj

Post by kaj »

Hondata wrote:Look in the help file under 'Windows/Parameters Window/Boost Control' or do a search for 'Boost Control'. I'll update the index/contents.

I believe I answered the question about the origin of boost by gear - the idea has been around for 20 - 30 years. If you are looking for another answer, then what is the question?
"Windows/Parameters Window/Boost Control". got it.
as for my question: nothing big. just wondering how you guys figured out how to make this work with a honda ecu. the idea of gear-based boost has been around for years, but making it work via the OEM ECU must be pretty new. just curious. i'm no engineer so i'm always wondering how people come up with such cool ideas. like.. were one of you guys eating some Alpha Bits and it just spelled itself out? hahaha. anyway, that's what i was wondering.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

We all just follow what the voices in our heads tell us to do.
Hondata
Shmaa

Post by Shmaa »

I have this hooked up already, but I am just wondering how this actually compares to a real electronic boost controller. Why is it that the ECU doesn't just read the MAP sensor and adjust the duty cycle based on that?

I wonder this because I have already experienced a fluctuation of boost during different conditions, one being temperature, which i see there is compensation for.

What I am really wondering is would it be possible for a software revision to adjust the duty cycle based on the MAP sensor reading? I am concerned about this because I will be using nitrous occasionally and I'm sure this will affect the exhaust flow signifigantly I believe boost at the same duty cycle will vary greatly on and off nitrous. If it isn't possible to do the adjustments based on the map reading, would it be possible to add a boost duty cycle table to the nitrous paramaters that would subtract whatever percentage is needed when the nitrous is activated? (I could be wrong, I'm just looking for some direction.)
EG6Turbo

Post by EG6Turbo »

I want it...........even tho I am only goign to be running 10 PSI.