Please help me troubleshoot this problem!

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
heartbrokendude123

Please help me troubleshoot this problem!

Post by heartbrokendude123 »

1997 civic em1 built d16y8 tuned 215whp @ 8 psi on 93
aem 340lph + 410cc rdx injectors
hondata p28-obd2b

Car was running great for a month since I bought it and then I was driving one day and suddenly the car shuts off... then a crank no start. Towed it home, troubleshooted it, I kept cranking it and eventually it kicked on and idles but once I press the throttle, engine dies. It didn't happen before though. Replaced battery and distributor but still same problem. Towed it to mechanic and did further troubleshooting. Main relay is fine, fuel pump primes, distributor is fine, sprayed starter fluid and it fired up and ran. Fuel rail was loaded but injectors were not working. He said injectors were only getting power and didn't get ground from ecu.

I kept reading around on the forums and someone mentioned they switched out the map sensor and got it running, so I did the same. Replaced the old 4 bar hondata map to an autozone one just to see what happens and the car started up with a rough idle but doesn't stall and die when throttle was pressed. Plugged back in hondata map sensor but same problem occured. Ordered new 4 bar map sensor from hondata and plugged it in and still same problem.

I don't know what's wrong... I really want to get this car running like it did before. Any help and suggestion I would really appreciate it, thanks.
DaX

Re: Please help me troubleshoot this problem!

Post by DaX »

Any chance you can post a log of it (barely) running and your calibration?

When you put in the AutoZone MAP sensor, I'm assuming you changed the settings in the tune back to a stock MAP, right? How about when you went back to the new Hondata 4-bar?

Have you verified your mechanical timing?
heartbrokendude123

DaX wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:32 am Any chance you can post a log of it (barely) running and your calibration?

When you put in the AutoZone MAP sensor, I'm assuming you changed the settings in the tune back to a stock MAP, right? How about when you went back to the new Hondata 4-bar?

Have you verified your mechanical timing?
Here is my current calibration and both separate data logs for autozone map and handata 4bar map.

I tried uploading a stock map with the autozone sensor and still idles badly. AFR reads 9.8
Attachments
autozone map sensor.s3d
(103.85 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
hondata 4bar map sensor.s3d
(81.31 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
217 whp.skl
(45.64 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Have you verified them mechanical timing with the cam gears?
heartbrokendude123

Spunkster wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:36 am Have you verified them mechanical timing with the cam gears?
Yes I had my mechanic checked it yesterday and he said the timing is fine. He adjusted the distributor timing and still not running right.

I might need to take it back to the tuner but available appointments are couple months out before they can do anything...
DaX

Post by DaX »

The log with the "autozone" MAP sensor shows either your calibration was not set up correct or the sensor was bad. At the start of the log (~1 second) your RPM shows 97 (I assume you're cranking) but your MAP is showing 21.1 psi. That's probably why it wouldn't run with that sensor.

The log with the Hondata MAP sensor is better - 140 RPM (again, assumed you're cranking) shows ~0 psi or atmospheric pressure.

Your battery voltage also seems very low - only ~11.5 V while cranking.

Do you trust that your mechanic knows how to set the mechanical timing?
heartbrokendude123

DaX wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:18 pm The log with the "autozone" MAP sensor shows either your calibration was not set up correct or the sensor was bad. At the start of the log (~1 second) your RPM shows 97 (I assume you're cranking) but your MAP is showing 21.1 psi. That's probably why it wouldn't run with that sensor.

The log with the Hondata MAP sensor is better - 140 RPM (again, assumed you're cranking) shows ~0 psi or atmospheric pressure.

Your battery voltage also seems very low - only ~11.5 V while cranking.

Do you trust that your mechanic knows how to set the mechanical timing?
About the autozone map sensor, yes, I knew that I didn't select as "stock" in the map tab on smanager because it won't start at all while cranking. Also tried other selections of different brands for the map but still same problem. I just left it on hondata 4bar instead since it would start.

The battery is brand new I bought it as soon after this problem occured last month. My mechanic doesn't deal much with suped up cars and ecu programming and stuff but since I knew him for a while he was the first person I went to for help. I was hoping it was just some simple hardware issue he could diagnose but he couldn't figure it out. He said I must bring it out to someone who actually knows more about it. His input was that it has to be an electrical issue or need to replace ecu. I do trust him because he dropped the world for me and had 2 of his other mechanics + 1 electrician he called to help get this civic running but still no success.

Car was running normally for a month and starts right up each time but then that day... it just died while I was driving. It's been sitting for 3 weeks there and I just got towed home. Is there anyone here who can be on video call with me and remotely edit the ecu or something. I don't mind paying through paypal for help. I really want to get this worked out.
DaX

Post by DaX »

What you are describing is called remote tuning. Many tuners offer this. These forums are fairly inactive other than Hondata staff and a few of us die-hard old-timers who prefer forums over FB. You may have better luck lining up a remote tuning session by googling for tuners familiar with Hondata that offer remote tuning, or by looking of FB.

A friend of mine had this done by Xenocron. Jason Waters is a big name in the Honda tuning game...he may offer remote tunes as well.
heartbrokendude123

DaX wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:58 pm What you are describing is called remote tuning. Many tuners offer this. These forums are fairly inactive other than Hondata staff and a few of us die-hard old-timers who prefer forums over FB. You may have better luck lining up a remote tuning session by googling for tuners familiar with Hondata that offer remote tuning, or by looking of FB.

A friend of mine had this done by Xenocron. Jason Waters is a big name in the Honda tuning game...he may offer remote tunes as well.
I understand but can you video chat with me through facebook messenger and I can show you live so it would easier to diagnose. I would really appreciate it if I could be given a moment to show whats going on.
DaX

Post by DaX »

Sorry man, I'm not your guy for diagnosing via video chat.
heartbrokendude123

Problem solved!

Got a new s300 hondata ecu and car started up and runs like normal. I'm really happy!

I guess the old one went bad somehow and wasn't functioning properly. I might have to send it to hondata for them to look at.