Advanced protection strategies and oil pressure

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
Furble

Advanced protection strategies and oil pressure

Post by Furble »

I figured since the feature is there might as well make use of it, especially since the stock dummy light doesn’t really do the job well. Since factory spec is at least 50psi at 3k rpm I figured I’d set the advanced protection to trigger at 45psi at 3k rpm to give it some wiggle room. I figure if it ever triggers then that brings my attention to the fact that the engine needs attention.

However the issue I’ve encountered with this is the oil pressure just doesn’t react fast enough in some circumstances. The most basic circumstance which triggers the advanced protection when it should not is a free-rev. If the oil is already at operating temp the free rev rpms will get past 3k before the oil pressure can catch up (yet another good reason not to free rev) and cause a single blip of the rev limiter before the oil pressure catches up and then it will continue to free-rev however high you want. It might be the sensor that is slow rather than the actual oil pressure but either way it triggers the advanced protection.

Free revving isn’t that important though same problem when revving for a launch control so it’s still an issue.

I’ve found the same circumstance also can occur between some shifts since you are sometimes lightly free-revving while the clutch is in when you are working on landing the next gear. Seems more prone on 1-2 shifts when going slow but can also happen in other shifts.

So I’ve lowered the oil pressure threshold to 30psi at 3k rpm before the advanced protection activates. Just wondering if anyone else is doing anything like this and what thresholds are you using?