blacksi76

Ignition Timing Sync

Post by blacksi76 »

2000 Civic
S300 V3
H-series
533HP at 19lbs
717HP at 29lbs

Since I had my car tuned I've been having issues with Boost creep. I've tried everything, and it's still there. Forward facing custom manifold with a TialQ V60, now with two Tial V60's to try and fix the creep. The only thing I haven't looked into was my base ignition timing I set before I had my car tuned last. I remember I was having trouble getting the car to idle low enough so that it wasn't advancing with the timing sync box open, so in the end I set the timing in the timing sync box to 0 degrees and rotated the distributor until it matched the 0 degree mark on the timing gun then closed the box. I remember my tuner saying that it didn't matter what number I set in the timing sync box as long as it matched what I set the distributor at. I have a feeling this was.wrong and my ignition map is severely in the retard . Am I wrong?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Ignition Timing Sync

Post by Spunkster »

It does not sounds like your base timing was set correctly and it may be very retarded.
blacksi76

Post by blacksi76 »

I spoke to my tuner last night, he said that he usually always sets the timing himself before he starts the tuning process, but he said that occasionally he doesn't under certain circumstances. I have to verify my timing first to see. I get the car warmed up, click the online button in smanager, click set timing, which is 16 by default, then take my timing light and dial back to 16 and check. If it's nowhere close, then I'll have to set it to zero like I in the Hondata and recheck with the timing light set to zero. If the zero degree mark on the flywheel (H22) lines up with the timing light at zero, then my ignition map is retarded. Correct?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You will have to test and see where it is at. It should always be set correctly.
blacksi76

Post by blacksi76 »

I will check this week. Keeping in mind the car does run great and the tune is good. If the base timing is off by 10 degrees for example, to get it close would I need to rescale my ignition maps by adding 10 degrees once the base timing is correct at 16 and in sync with the ECU? I know ideally I'd have to retune the ignition but I'm curious
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You can always try it.
blacksi76

Post by blacksi76 »

I'll keep you posted thanks
TTR

Post by TTR »

Is the boost creep something that started happening or has it always done this? Could be poor wastegate placement. Size and number of gates doesn't matter if they can't get enough exhaust to bleed off. I have pulled gates completely off and still had severe issues with creep. Worst one was on an H22 with a 60.
blacksi76

Post by blacksi76 »

It started with the new forward facing manifold and new turbo system I installed a few years back.its bad placement yes but others who had the same exact setup, motor, manifold by the same fabricator haven't had the issues I'm having. I have two Tial V60's now on my manifold and from the last log I did , it seemed to hold. I read a post the other day online about a guy having the same problems and all the same issues, he did all the same diagnostic measures I did and still he couldn't figure it out. I saw a tuner respond to his post and recommended he check his timing cause running a really retarded timing map could cause unstable boost levels and boost creep, overboosting etc.
TTR

Post by TTR »

Ok, I was just throwing it out there.
blacksi76

Post by blacksi76 »

Yes thanks, I appreciate all the feedback.