street tuning not sure if im understanding correctly questions

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
Kingd206

street tuning not sure if im understanding correctly questions

Post by Kingd206 »

hi im trying to do basic street tune and understand how it works

lsvtec turbo forge rod piston combo stock head b16
innovate mtx-l wide band

theres no real videos on step by step how to tune just parts from google youtube anyways does this sound about right?

I load a p72 stock gsr basemap
set the injector size
set map sensor
set wideband settings (match the hondata laptop reading smanager to the gauge accurately)
set physical ignition timing to 16btdc
setup lambda settings 14.7:1 / 13.5/ 11.5 area (user preference)
start car
make sure no cel whatsoever

now tune target afr low fuel
then tune target afr low speed ignition
now tune target afr high fuel
then tune target afr high speed ignition

is there anything im missing?
I just want to street tune it to be able to learn and to be able to drive it to the tuner (40 miles away)
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: street tuning not sure if im understanding correctly questions

Post by Spunkster »

That is basically it. You may want to read the info at https://www.hondata.com/tech-s100-s200-s300
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

everyone does it different but I would get ALL your fuel tuned first and then work on ignition and back and forth until it all works together. a tuner is basically a calibrator calibrating everything to work together for fuel economy, performance, responsiveness etc... its a science and anyone can learn if you know what you are looking for when tuning and what you or the customer wants out of the tune.

like I said everyone does it differently. set your ignition to safe parameters that will still allow your car to function properly and then tune air/fuel low/high and then work on ignition. just because your done with the fuel doesn't mean your are for good. I tend to go back once ignition is/being dialed in and see what we can squeeze out with a/f ratio if possible or play clean up. it takes practice and every car/engine is different.

street tuning is hard cause you don't know exactly how much hp/tq gains you are getting. but if you get good at it, you can get pretty close but you'll never be spot on without a dyno. street tuning is mainly for working everything out and make it run as best/safe as possible that way when you get to dyno, you are mainly doing a full WOT pulls to dial in the MBT your engine/car is capable. this saves on dyno rental costs cause you don't need to be on the dyno as much as you would if you were starting from scratch. with street tuning (especially just starting to tune period) you'll want a knock monitor system so you can detect if your engine is knocking or not, since you wont know where MBT is since you wont be on a dyno. too much advance and knock on one ramp run CAN go boom so be careful.

you always want to finish up your tuning after a dyno with a street run anyways to make sure everything you did on the dyno works on the streets.

anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong or has another opinion.
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

also, if youre learning to tune on a turbo car, be very careful as its super easy to induce knock if even one of your tables are off.