Closed Loop Malfunction

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
DaX

Re: Closed Loop Malfunction

Post by DaX »

TheLawProject wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:07 pm Thank you Spunkster and everyone else who has contributed to this thread. I was watching PFi speed on YouTube and they we’re having an issue with the computer/ECU freezing up, and it was due to the spark plugs being non resistant. I’m wondering if this could be the case here? I’m running NGK BKR7E-11 plugs...
The "R" in BKR7E-11 means it is a resistor type plug, so that's not the issue.
Julien

Post by Julien »

hi all

I see this thread and i have the same issue
I use the AEM X uego, wire in D10 pin, ELD disable in misc, closed loop stop when AFR read 18 after decel fuel cut
Also i see in two consecutiv log, closed loop stopped around 12-13 min

Other thing, sometimes when i'm starting engine, AF read in lambda value during few second, CL not active but my Gauge read 20-22 AFR. If i start engine in open loop mode, there is no issue... i don't understand, i tried a other ecu with other S300
Attachments
log.rar
2 logs
(1.36 MiB) Downloaded 80 times
EG5 Lagrange Flexfuel 310cc E85 final ok.skl
(43.29 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
spAdam

Post by spAdam »

Resurrecting this one. I see a few threads with similar issues but this one seems the most similar.

I've been out over the last couple of days trying to do some closed loop tuning and it's randomly dropping out, only comes back on with a power cycle. I noticed this first on a long drive recently. I can't get to the point of forcing it to happen but it seems to occur mostly after a tip-out/fuel cut event.

Attached logs/cals have digital and analog lambda. PLX Gen4 installed on D12 with the added capacitor.
Attachments
ARJ_B20Z_High Comp_RM3_370cc_E85only_07.04.00.09.skl
(44.78 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
ARJ_B20Z_High Comp_RM3_370cc_E85only_07.05.00.09.skl
(44.78 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
ARJ_B20Z_High Comp_RM3_370cc_E85only_07.03.00.09-211221-181340.s3d
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
ARJ_B20Z_High Comp_RM3_370cc_E85only_07.04.00.09-211222-161320.s3d
(2.56 MiB) Downloaded 77 times
ARJ_B20Z_High Comp_RM3_370cc_E85only_07.05.00.09-211222-170729.s3d
(2.59 MiB) Downloaded 71 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Where exactly in the datalogs are you seeing this occur?
spAdam

Post by spAdam »

Generally wherever the closed loop turns off and doesn't come back on.

170729 - ~frame 5687: closed loop shuts off under dfco, as expected, never comes back on.
161320 - ~frame 8005: similar
181340 - ~frame 1065: similar

Forgot to add, on version 2.7.7.0. ECU FW is up to date as well.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

That is normal operation when decelerating with the throttle closed as the injectors are cut and it is not spraying fuel.
spAdam

Post by spAdam »

I understand that, of course.

It doesn't come back on when the car comes to rest and goes back to fueling, or drives off again. It's off until the ecu is power cycled (hence, the end of the logs).
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

I would recommend lowering the max TPS for closed loop as well as the increase the amount of vacuum required and lower the max RPM closed loop operates. Then see if that has any effect.
spAdam

Post by spAdam »

Thanks, I’ll give some of that a shot if I need to.

I successfully had it running all the way up the wot line in the past and it worked really well for what it is. In hindsight, the fact that it started not working as well was a first sign of my slowly failing fuel pump and wiring situation. Was hoping to do work back up to that as I go through and clean up the fuel maps now that I have great flow again.
angelvti

Post by angelvti »

Hi everyone guyes you wont believe how much search ive done for months for this problem until i found this thread.

I think that my situation will help you too and i hope that someone could help me too.

Here s the story.
My car is eg6 and atm it has a p30 chipped ecu tuned with crome free.never had a problem for years with closed loop.i have the oem o2 sensor.brand new denso right now.

Suddenly it started doing the excact same thing as all of you.
So far i tried diffrent ecu i ve changed the o2 sensor plug.
Tried 3 o2 sensors known to work.the last one is brand new.
I checked the o2 sensor wires and voltages.

I burnt a new chip.
I checked the ecu.
Im an electronic engineer myself and i ve faced a lot of weird problems on my job.

But this one beat me.im really desparate.im searching for months for a solution. Did anyone ever find a solution?
angelvti

Post by angelvti »

And now let me go deeper.

Some times closed loop never engages no matter what.at some time months have passed running in open loop.

I did a reset leaving the battery off for 45 minutes and voila.
Closed loop came back.

It worked well for a week.and after a week it started going open loop after 10 minutes ride and if i did a power cycle it would come on again.

In addition when closed loop drops after 10 minutes i can force it do some spikes trying to engage again by adding a lot of load.for ex.third gear and 20% throttle.it will spike for half a sec and drop again.its really crazy.sometimes if i manage to hold the load it will stay longer in closed loop.

I think that my situation will help find a solution because we now know that it has nothing to do with the tune or hondata ecu.its sth else.
B16Matt

Post by B16Matt »

Hey guys, I also have been battling this issue for the last year or so with my B16A EG Civic running on a P28 Hondata. Like many others I am also using a AEM wideband setup on my car. Hondata is fully up to date.
Between my tuner and myself, we have tried many options, even ones suggested here in this thread, and gone over wiring, grounding, and settings multiple times and still get the same core issue, that being Closed loop suddenly stops working and wont come back on until the ignition in cycled. This issue is also very common amongst other Hondata users here in Australia, so we would really like to find the cause.

Recently we have been able to test multiple P28 ECU's with Hondata using a ECU simulator which essentially emulates a running car with many driving and sensor inputs being able to be simulated in real time. This helped us eliminate the risk of any wideband issues, the risk of any dodgy grounding issues and other wiring faults or even any other potential outside factors throughout the car, and focus just on the ECU and the Hondata board itself. What we found is that we were able to actually make this closed loop issue occur consistently just while testing, and got the same results on all ECUs we tested.

We were curious as to what ECU people were using, and more specifically what P28 MOTHERBOARD NUMBER people had on their P28 ECUs that have this issue (found in the top right corner of the ECU).
2 of the ECUs we tested had the motherboard number - 02D011F0-1500 - if you can please post yours as well that would be awesome.
I am most curious to know what ECU and motherboard number Spunkster has, as he seems to have no Closed loop issues.

Thanks guys, looking forward to hearing further thoughts and info!
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

What input are you using for the wideband input?
B16Matt

Post by B16Matt »

We have used both D14 pin and D10 pin inputs (along with cutting R136 and R138 resistors for D10) and get the exact same result; completely fine in Open loop, and then has issues in Closed loop

Any chance you could share what ECU and motherboard number you have? It’s a pain to get to probably, but would be greatly appreciated :)
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

02D01980-1502