Set Timing feature

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
adbodykits

Set Timing feature

Post by adbodykits »

Hello,

I have a D16Y8 swap into OBD1 car with P28 ecu and hondata s300, of course.

Ive tried to sync the timing on the dizzy with the timming on the ecu, by using the "set timing" feature. I setted to 12 BTDC in Hondata, and tried to get 12 BTDC on dizzy, but I cant reach it, even turning all the way out.

Is needed to bridge the service plug of the car too? or there is something I missing?

BTW, the car idles very good, and the cam belt was installed properly and such things, everything lines up on TDC....

I dont want to "enlarge" the holes of the dizzy to turn a bit more and get 12 if is not necessary.

Thanks in advance.
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Set Timing feature

Post by Hondata »

What sort of timing light are you using, and how are you using it?
Hondata
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Is this a completely stock Engine or has the head been swapped, or any other parts swapped on it?
adbodykits

Post by adbodykits »

Full Y8 swap, just have the P2P0 kit of 75.5 vitaras and custom lengh rods. The other parts are stck Y8 but turbo, mani, exhaust and such things. No Z6 parts here :)

Im using a common timing light. This one exactly:

http://www.harborfreight.com/xenon-timi ... -3343.html

testing on cylinder one.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

IS this a dial back timing light? How exactly are you using it?
adbodykits

Post by adbodykits »

Spunkster wrote:IS this a dial back timing light? How exactly are you using it?
Hi Spunkster, I dont know if this is a dial back light. Im using it following its instructions: connecting the red and black wires to the battery, the pink "hook" to the spark plug wire that goes to the cyl one, and then aiming the gun to the crank pulley and shoot. It start flashing and I can see the timming marks, but cant get aligned with the pointer.

Like this:
http://img.alibaba.com/img/pb/661/687/6 ... 61_222.jpg
http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs ... 06165a.gif
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

There are different ways to set timing depending on if it is an adjustable timing light or if it is a dial back timing light.

You may want to read the info at: http://honda-tech.com/tech-misc-15/tdc- ... t-2379450/
CGF20BOOSTED

Post by CGF20BOOSTED »

That's not a dial back timing light. Perhaps try a different timing light and see if results differ. Also double check to see if the timing belt is in time.
adbodykits

Post by adbodykits »

I've read that posts, but there is nothing different from what we know. The light flashes when cyl 1 fires (at 12 BTDC on Y8 engines, and 12 because is what hondata is set to) so I should be able to see the 12 crack mark lined on each flash, more or less, depending on dizzy position.

I will try to find another timing light.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You use a different mark on the pulley if it a dial back than if it is a fixed timing light.
AREA876

Post by AREA876 »

Does RPM matter when checking timing?
adbodykits

Post by adbodykits »

AREA876 wrote:Does RPM matter when checking timing?
If you are trying to set timing without Hondata, tha car must be warm, and service check conector bridged. If you are using Hondata, just use the "set timing feature".
adbodykits

Post by adbodykits »

Spunkster wrote:You use a different mark on the pulley if it a dial back than if it is a fixed timing light.

Please Spunkster, may you be more specific?

Which one is for dial back timing light and which one for other timing lights? I only have one mark alone (TDC) and other 3 togheter (10, 12, 14).

Another old issue large discussed on the forums was that Y8 should set timing at 21 in p28 ecus to compensate the differece between Z6 and Y8 degrees in cam gear. Im gonna try setting at 21 and see if then I can reach 12 at the cranck, just for testing...
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

A dial back uses the TDC mark and a regular timing light using the advanced mark(s) on the pulley.
If you're unsure about where TDC is then put a rod down the spark tube and turn the engine over (by hand!) until you find TDC.
Hondata