Datalogging using the dash AC switch

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
blacksi76

Datalogging using the dash AC switch

Post by blacksi76 »

2000 Civic, H22 Turbo, 453HP, 337TQ @ 17psi GT3076R
S300
Factory AC has been removed, but all the wiring stil exists...what do I have to do to be able to activate datalogging by pressing the AC switch on the dash while driving? In Smanager I went to Parameters - On-Board datalogging - clicked enable on-board datalogging, then clicked - Using a manual switch, and selected AC .......havent been able to get it working....

I noticed today when I went to Options, there was a datalog tab in the box, and I never had " Autosave Datalogs " selected. So I clicked on that box and entered a prefix and then selected the appropriate suffix....

does this have to be done in order to use the AC switch to datalog?
limited360

Re: Datalogging using the dash AC switch

Post by limited360 »

Search more... Than to change the switch so when it's active it's grounding the circuit. Write ups on it around the Internet.

Good luck! I'll be doing this as soon as I get my s300 up and running.
blacksi76

Post by blacksi76 »

I have a HUGE rant here to unleash.......I have been at this for the past 4-5 years, and I've had my Hondata S300 for the past 3 years....I started with Chrome, then AEM EMS, then EcTune, and then Hondata..... But I have to say, for all the options Hondata has on the S300 setup to use, there is NEVER an easy way to use them.....It would be ok if they explained in detail in the Help section on what is REALLY involved when it comes to using thise options.....You call Hondata, get the " TECH " guy who treats you like you're 5 years old, and you get off the phone feeling more confused than whenyou first called!!!!

Example #1 - '' OVERRIDE FAN CONTROL " What a CROCK!!!! That option don't work.....Do a google search on the Million other guys out there that have NOT been able to get this feature working and you'll see.....In order to do it they then tell you you have to use Nitrous AUX 1 and cut and splice wires into your harness, blah, blah, blah....Then they tell you your fan relay isn't wired correctly, when in fact mine is wired exactly as T1 race development had me wire it in so that it cut in at the factory pre-set temps, so my wiring IS correct.....my fan works just fine, and cuts in and out at the factory pre-set temps.....BUT, I wanna have my fan cut in and stay on longer to help keep the ECT temps down when in hotter weather or when hitting boost a little more often and underhood temps climbs etc......BUT, the damn option DON'T work!!! The ONLY guys that seem to be able to get this working are professional Tuners who own thier own shops and have come up with thier own ways to jerry rig the wiring a completely DIFFERENT way than what HONDATA sais to do it......So Hondata, why not have some more info on how to do this stuff for the rest of us??

Example #2 - " ON-BOARD DATALOGGING " another example of what COULD be a really cool and convenient option to driving around with your laptop in your lap or passenger seat trying to drive and reach over to click the datalog button at the same time without hitting a pole or having to stop on the side of the highway......kinda dangerous..... So they give you 2 options...." Use a manual Switch " or " Based on engine parameters " ( which is really only good if you're doing a pass at the track ) , So like most others who are running a high power turbo setup, we don't have our air conditioning systems anymore......In my case, the wiring for the AC still exists, so the HONDATA sais I can use the AC dash switch to start a datalog which I assume will automatically save to the S300's built in memory so I can come back home and download the datalog for review.......pretty cool option!!!! IF it worked!!! And they give you NO indication of what to do to if it don't work.....instead once again, you have to google it, and find out how a million other guys had the same problem, and had to find another way to jerry rig the On-Board Datalogging option to make it work.....totally unlike what Hondata FAILED to include in the Help section as to give you an idea of what to do to make it work....

So HONDATA.....or anyone out there that reads this.......do you have a real solution to these issues??? Hondata can you include more detailed info for us as to fix these things ourselves so we don't have to post like this totally pissed or have to call your " TECH " line, as whenever I have EVER called your TECH line...you totally sound like you could really CARE LESS about helping me figure out the issue with the SMANAGER issue.....Instead of telling me to take my car to a local dealership or gargae somewhere.....as if a regular machanic or technician would have any idea about what I was talking about outside the realm of working on stock normal cars....
limited360

Post by limited360 »

Sorry didnt mean to set ya off!
blacksi76

Post by blacksi76 »

No, sorry, not your fault...what you said makes perfect sense.....it just tees me off that Hondata never leaves any of this information on thier help section.....and its not that hard for them to do...like in the case of someone wanting to use the on-board datalogging feature using the AC switch o the dash...is it that hard for them to let us know that the circuit needs to be grounded....or what wire we should ground and they best way to do it to make it work properly???
V-Spec race development

Post by V-Spec race development »

I agree with you on that.
blacksi76

Post by blacksi76 »

What hurts the most here is that I haven't even one reply back on this from one of thier Tech guys yet....Its like they just don't know.....The Tuners or dealers who own the dynoshops are are for the most part professional racers themselves seem to know the answers to these questions, yet they all have seemed to move on the Motec, PRO EFI , or even AEM for example....Hondata REALLY needs to step up to the plate here and respond with some REAL info on a few of the subjects I have mentioned here.....

UPDATE : I did manage to get the on-board datalogging working using engine parameters, but its hard to figure out what settings to set them at. THAT is why I would rather use the AC switch to trigger a datalog. Seems datalogging using engine parameters works best if you were at the track or on a dyno doing pulls, but for most of us who wanna do a log out on the highway or secluded road where noone is around, the AC switch datalog would be ideal, and very conveneient.

.......And the two logs that I did get using the onboard datalogging with engine parameters never automatically saved the logs like I set the s300 to do in the settings : datalog box where you can set the logs to save by name, date, time etc, which is another really cool small feature that doesn't seem to work properly...
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

We have answered this before, in regards to high/low boost control.

To use the AC switch ECU input as an input, you need to ground the input. Each vehicle is different, and we can't tell you which color wire to connect to what in order to do this without access to your vehicle. So our suggestion is to get the helms manual, look at the circuit diagram, and see what wiring your car has. Then work out what is the easiest way to wire one side of the AC switch to ground and the other to the ECU. At some point you'll have to make the changes to your car yourself and there's only so much hand holding we can do.

For your other issues, please follow the posting guidelines and give us the information we need to help you.
Hondata
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

We've found that wiring may vary between vehicles, even of the same year, but here is the wiring for a typical OBD1 AC switch.

The red path shows the grounding path from the ECU input B5. The input only grounds when the fan is switched on, the AC pressure switch is activated and the AC thermostat is on. This is not going to work as an ECU input. To use the AC switch for an ECU input you'll want to ground one side of the switch and connect the other directly to B5, bypassing the pressure switch and thermostat.

Hondata
blacksi76

Post by blacksi76 »

ok, understood, thanks....so basically, I am doing the exact same process as if I added my own dash mounted switch, just using the AC switch button on the dash.....fair enough....so just ground one of the ac switch terminals and run my own separate wire down to the ECU and connect it to B5 at the ECU....Thanks Hondata..
blacksi76

Post by blacksi76 »

Fixed and works perfectly...Thanks...I ended up taking apart the dash and tracing wires to find the right wire that went into the AC switch, but there was just too many so I installed my own independent Datalogging switch, and did what you said, one side to ground and the other to the AC wire on the ECU harness....Works perfect....Thanks...Now if I can get that fan override control working....I think I might have it figured out..lol
aurban

Post by aurban »

I completely understood the diagram and was able to get the ac switch to turn off anything that could be assigned to it. I gutted my AC but left the connectors intact. Looked at the diagram and started with the compressor switch connector in the engine compartment. Cut a piece of wire, tinned both ends and used them as jumpers, blue/red to yellow/white. Next was the A/C thermostat which is located in the glove box on a 92-95. Its a 3 pin connector going into the evaporator box. Just unplugged it and jumpered the same color wires as the compressor switch connector. Only bad thing is that I have to have the fan on for the switch to activate. Guess I was fortunate to have my fan over ride work. I just turned it on to test it and it works, but I went ahead and left it disabled.
shiroitenshi

Post by shiroitenshi »

of note, override fan control works perfectly on 5-6 jdm s300j ecu I've encountered/set.

even on an ek obd2b with obd1 conversion jumper harness, works. perhaps its usdm ecu thing?