Closed Loop Malfunction

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
402Car_Kid

Re: Closed Loop Malfunction

Post by 402Car_Kid »

Hello everyone I'm new to the group. I have a k24a2 swapped del sol and I've been having the same problem. It at first only happened every first start it would be in closed loop for a few minutes while its idling then switch to open and stay until I restarted the car. Then it would be fine the whole day unless I left it sir for hours. Now it does it 2 times every cold start and will randomly switch to open loop and stay there while I'm driving sometimes. It's getting worse and worse I have no idea why. I have kpro v2. I'm starting to think it's just a bad ecu. Anybody else have this problem and fixed it? Btw last year before I blew my built k24 it was doing this as well. I have since swapped in stock 08k24a2 so I sont think it's anything mechanical on the motor. Please help I dont want to start replacing expensive shit until I find it.
Crx89

Post by Crx89 »

Hi just thought I would bump this thread if anyone found a answer to this question. I have tried everything that was suggested in this thread. I broke down and bought a new ecu and the problem persists.
DerBuegler0815

Post by DerBuegler0815 »

Same problem here. Do you guys only come across this problem when running closed loop of a wideband? I'm gonna weld in a second o2 bung and run on the stock narrowband. I think its the only option right now

I used d10 for my wideband and its still the same. It always occurs when the wideband is reading full lean on deceleration. So we need a longer timer until the s300 thinks the wideband readings are faulty when readings go full lean. I would bet money on that.

If its true another option would be to lightly touch the throttle a bit every now and then when decelerating so the wideband gets a reading. Im gonna try and develop this habit first. If it doesn't work ill weld the second bung in
TheLawProject

Post by TheLawProject »

I too am having the same exact problem, and in fact posted about it last week. Not sure how to resolve it either. My fuel trims are perfect, and I don’t have a problem when in Open Loop. I will try to post calibration and a log of when mine happens. Hopefully we can all get to the bottom of this.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

What widebands are you using?
TheLawProject

Post by TheLawProject »

I am using the AEM X series the new 4.9 sensor
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

I believe the problem is the wideband you are using, as I have been using PLX widebands in 3 cars for nearly 17 years without any issues.

We have seen many issues with AEM widebands, and they keep changing the controllers and sensors used nearly every year.
TheLawProject

Post by TheLawProject »

Understandable. It seems to work while in Open loop and my AFR’s are solid and consistent, so I will just run it as it.
DerBuegler0815

Post by DerBuegler0815 »

Aight. Nothing seems to work

Gonna get that second bung. Im also using the new aem x series.
TheLawProject

Post by TheLawProject »

I want to keep this thread alive. I haven’t had the opportunity to date a log a scenario when it stops working in closed loop, just have not had time to do it. As soon as I have the time, I will, and post up the data log and calibration file. I really wanna get to the bottom of this, because driving it in such big swings of climate and temperature makes me have to constantly make adjustments to the fuel table.

For instance, today it was 80° out, and I was running richer Then it would on a 40° day. I feel like if I was in closed loop it would be making short term corrections, and keeping it close to the target air fuel ratio set in the parameters. Am I correct for thinking this way? Or am I completely off target?

My next move is to switch out the AEM wideband for a PLM wideband.
Crx89

Post by Crx89 »

I used a AEM wideband and a innovate wideband same issue. Never figured it out.
TheLawProject

Post by TheLawProject »

I have finally had the time to get a log of when the S.trim stops working while in Closed Loop. I will post up the log, as well as the calibration that I am using. Some times it will work for 30 plus minutes, other times, it will stop working within 5 minutes of driving. I am using the d10 pin, and have the ELD disabled in the MISC parameters.
Attachments
closed loop lambda target S trim stops.s3d
datalog
(1.95 MiB) Downloaded 99 times
Closed loop lambda target, o2 heater on 5-21-21.skl
calibration
(45.64 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
TheLawProject

Post by TheLawProject »

Hondata or Spunkster, anyone? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

This appears to be a problem with the wideband used, as it happens at full lean condition which is only 18AFR. Most wideband will read from 10-20 AFR. I believe that if you use a different wideband there will be no issue.
TheLawProject

Post by TheLawProject »

Thank you Spunkster and everyone else who has contributed to this thread. I was watching PFi speed on YouTube and they we’re having an issue with the computer/ECU freezing up, and it was due to the spark plugs being non resistant. I’m wondering if this could be the case here? I’m running NGK BKR7E-11 plugs...