how much advance is too much?

K-Series Programmable ECU Calibration updates / downloads
james wheeler

how much advance is too much?

Post by james wheeler »

My car is a euro ep3 (05) running 1000cc injectors, cold air in and straight through out with an AEM wideband and pressurised flow and return fuel system at about 55psi with kemso pump. Not sure if any of that is relevant but just to give a bit of back ground.
So I seem to be getting to where I want to be with fuel maps and I wanted to have a little tinker with timing but know you can cause some pretty serious damage.
I was just hoping someone could cast an eye over my log and let me know if I can advance the timing a little, its not running anywhere near knock threshold but wasn't sure if (street tuning) that's the only way to tell
so before anyone says it i have addressed the lean spikes at the end of this run.

kind regards, Jim
Attachments
WOT1000cc_advanced_01_pewsey.kdl
(547.7 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
james wheeler

Re: how much advance is too much?

Post by james wheeler »

sorry there was meant to be a calibration with that associated log
Attachments
JTW_1000cc_Advanced02.kal
(169.86 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

This is really something that you should only change on the dyno so you can see the result and also listen for knock. If you advance the timing and there is no gain in power then it is best to use less timing at the same power level.
james wheeler

Post by james wheeler »

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I appreciate what you're saying and realise some of the dangers with playing with my spark advance but was just curious if (through advancing timing) my knock level value should become closer to my knock threshold? or is it not as simple as that? am I right in thinking you can advance past knock but start making less power even with a 0 knock count.
sorry about my rambling just trying to learn the basics before I boost my car next month (as ill need to create a calibration that will be safe to drive to a tuner/dyno)
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Adjusting timing without a dyno is a recipe for disaster. It is best to start with a base calibration and not boost it until it is at the dyno to be properly tuned. You can also talk to your tuner and see if they can give you a base map to get you started or to help safely get it to the dyno. If in doubt, it may be better to tow it to the dyno to be tuned.