Nitrous on preloaded calibration HELP!

K-Series Programmable ECU Calibration updates / downloads
m_kluch

Nitrous on preloaded calibration HELP!

Post by m_kluch »

04 rsx-s CAI
I want to run a 100 shot of nitrous and plan on using the cold air intake preloaded calibration that comes with kpro. How much timing would I need to pull while on spray? How much to pull if I use the stock calibration? The reason I want to run the CAI one is to also have good power when not on spray. Just afraid there is a lot of timing advance on that calibration.
Thanks
D-Rob

Re: Nitrous on preloaded calibration HELP!

Post by D-Rob »

You should really tune the car completely naturally aspirated properly before considering using the nitrous control features.

Nitrous is quick, and easy, but if you don't dot your "i's" and cross your "t's", its only job will be to turn your engine's internals into externals.

What chassis is the engine in? If you need assistance with tuning, there are plenty of us on these boards. Feel free to shoot a PM to myself of VitViper.
m_kluch

Post by m_kluch »

this is in a 04 rsx-s
All it has is a CAI so if I load in the CAI tune then it will be tuned i suppose. The only problem is I'm thinking the CAI tune has more ignition advance than the stock map. I just don't know how much. I do know that many people run a 100 shot of nitrous with 2 to 4 degrees of retardation in the nitrous tab.

I just want to be tuned when off spray (running the preloaded calibration that comes with kpro) but also wanna be safe when spraying my 100 shot.
m_kluch

Post by m_kluch »

anybody know?

Also, if I set the timing at -2 in the nitrous 1 tab and then -2 in the nitrous 2 tab, will the timing be -4 when the second stage turns on or will it still be just -2?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

To run this safely you must tune this on a dyno or you risk burning holes in your pistons.
m_kluch

Post by m_kluch »

Yeah I know that. Or I can tune on the street with datalogging. However, tuning on a dyno wont tell me if my ignition is dangerously advanced. It may not pre-detonate on the dyno in the few runs that i'd do but may be right on the edge and do it while I'm driving around.

I found a post that Hondata wrote "Removing timing is necessary, not just to prevent detonation, but because a faster buring mixture does not need the same advance and also to reduce the peak cylinder pressure."

I don't want to have more stress than necessary on the engine so that's why i'm asking how much timing to pull while running nitrous.

Do you know the answer to my last question about the timing retardation adding together in the two stages?
m_kluch

Post by m_kluch »

I finally found the answer to one of my questions. For anyone that may have the same question, the two ignition values you input on the two stage nitrous setup get added together. Meaning that if you set -2 timing in stage 1 and -2 timing in stage 2 you will have -4 timing when both stages are activated.