Adding a flex fuel sensor

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
sprinto7

Adding a flex fuel sensor

Post by sprinto7 » Thu May 07, 2009 9:13 am

Is there any circuitry in the RSX ECU that could beused with a flex fuel sensor?

Such as::Fuel Composition Sensor Description The fuel composition sensor (FCS), also known as the flex fuel sensor, measures the ethanol to gasoline ratio of the fuel in the fuel line to the injectors. Flexible fuel vehicles can be operated with a blend of ethanol and gasoline, up to 85 percent ethanol. To optimize the ignition timing and the fuel injection amount, the MegaSquirt® requires information about the percentage of ethanol in the fuel. The fuel sensor uses a microprocessor to measure the ethanol percentage and fuel temperature, which it uses to produce and output signal. The fuel sensor signal is a square-wave voltage signal. The signal varies in both frequency and pulse width:
The frequency of the signal indicates the ethanol percentage. The output frequency is linear with respect to the percentage of ethanol content in the fuel. The PCM provides an internal pull-up to five volts on the signal circuit, and the fuel sensor pulls the 5 volts to ground in pulses. The normal range of operating frequency is between 50 and 150 Hertz:
50 Hertz indicates 0% ethanol, and
150 Hertz indicates 100% ethanol.
The pulse width indicates the fuel temperature. The normal pulse width is between 1 and 5 milliseconds:
1 millisecond indicates -40°C (-40°F), and
5 milliseconds indicates 125°C (257°F). You can set the flex fuel sensor parameters in MegaTune under 'Settings/Flex Fuel':

http://www.megamanual.com/flexfuel.htm

I run E 85 in my car (Lotus 7 clone with RSX-S engine) E 85 is not always available so I occasionally switch to Race gas. I change the fuel trim to adjust, but a flex fuel sensor would be "better".

Thanks, Del Long. A very satisfied KPRO user.

Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster » Thu May 07, 2009 9:55 am

No, this is not possible.

sprinto7

Post by sprinto7 » Thu May 07, 2009 1:17 pm

Spunkster wrote:No, this is not possible.
Just curious.
Thanks much.
Del Long