Problem when datalogin goes offline

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
jdmvtec93

Problem when datalogin goes offline

Post by jdmvtec93 »

i just got a k-pro, it downloads ok but when i push the datalog runs a couple of seconds but then goes offline. i unplug and plug the usb cable and it goes online for a couple of seconds more and then goes offline again. i had check the usb drivers and updated them and everithing is fine. what could it be?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

What spark plugs are you using?
jdmvtec93

Post by jdmvtec93 »

i am using NGK IFR7G 11K
rensoyka

Post by rensoyka »

I have also had major problems datalogging for the past week. It works fine when the engine is off, but quickly disconnects once I start the motor. Well, I've done a lot of reading the last couple of days, especially on this topic. One thing that interested me was the comments from Hondata about ground loops, especially in motor swaps. I had a supplementary ground wire system that I put in myself last year, and it got me thinking. I ripped it all out today. I had a feeling that this was contributing to the problem, and I was right. I can now datalog for 2 to 3 minutes before it stops. It doesn't go offline, it just stops recording. I am going to work tomorrow morning on insulating the USB cord with foil and electrical tape, especially where the cable goes into the ECU. I am hopeful that I can get 5 minutes or more of datalogging to help with part throttle tuning. I have a 2006 RSX-S and the laptop is a Toshiba S1 3 years old. Another thing of interest, just in case my USB ports were a bit of a problem, I purchased a PCMCIA USB card in the hopes that it would help, but it wouldn't even recognize that the ECU was present. I have also had better luck datalogging using a power supply in the car instead of just running on the laptop battery.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Have you tried a different laptop?
rensoyka

Post by rensoyka »

No I haven't, don't really have access to another one. Considering the number of people that use K-Pro, with the majority not having datalogging issues, this wasn't really one the sources of the problem that I was considering, but I guess that it is possible. If I get a chance to try it, I'll let you know the results.
jdmvtec93

Post by jdmvtec93 »

OK i test by using a laptop from a friend and it does the same but last a little bit longer online. He is a Computer Engineer and told me that is a problem whit the usb cable is receiving interference. i will change the usb cable for a better one and then write what happend. if you find somthing please post it. thanks
my friend

Post by my friend »

i also have the same problem my thread is rite under yours i have tried
my laptop, Gary wangs laptop and bro's and my friends... its not the laptop..... btw do u have your ground cable relocated cause i dont and hondata is saying thats the problem
jdmvtec93

Post by jdmvtec93 »

yes i do have it relocated. i will buy a new USB cable today and then i tell you the results.
my friend

Post by my friend »

jdmvtec93 wrote:yes i do have it relocated. i will buy a new USB cable today and then i tell you the results.
please let me know when you do... cause i have the same problem
jdmvtec93

Post by jdmvtec93 »

ok, i change my usb cable for a better one, i also add a set of ground wires, but the problem is not resolve, i am starting to worry and thiking that its the k-pro ecu.

any suggestions?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

List everything that has been done to your car, no matter how insignificant you may think it is.
rensoyka

Post by rensoyka »

UPDATE. Well, I have done some more reading, especially about USB cables and data transmission/interference. I took a stab in the dark and it worked. I can now datalog at will, made a good 15 minute run while driving into work this morning. I switched to a different cable and that made all the difference. This is a spare cable that I found hanging around, probably something left over from a peripheral equipment install on the desktop that I didn't need. It's just your average cable, and it doesn't have any ferrite beads at all. How does it work? It's only 3 feet long instead of 6 feet. It's long enough that I can sit my laptop on a pillow on the passenger seat and have it connect. It's not long enough to run behind the dash and into the glove box, but I'm happy as hell because it finally works. Also, I can now run on battery power, no adapter or inverter required. It looks to me that a 6 foot or greater length cable is too much, I don't think that the K-pro unit puts out enough of a signal to make it the full length through. Just my 2 cents, but it's working for me.
jdmvtec93

Post by jdmvtec93 »

ok i have AEM V2, throtle by-passed, Jackson Racing Header, Spoon N1 exhaust, IMG with ground relocated, additional grounds and k-pro.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

A shorter USB cable lessens the EMI picked up in the cable, but your problem is still there. USB is a standard and as such a) all cables are shielded, b) all cables have the same number of shields and c) every USB peripheral transmits at the same power.

Check all the grounds in the engine bay. Pull the transission, engine mount and wiring harness grounds off and make sure they ground onto bare metal. You may have to grind off a little paint to do this. If you has car stereos etc with extra wiring look very closely how it has been wired in. If you have any ground kits etc - you don't need them. If you have anything at all tapped into the wires running to the ECU - remove them. If you have any wires to the ECU which have been broken / crimped / tapped etc, check and make sure they are good quality soldered joints.
Hondata