Car Jerks when decelerating

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
illiminator

Post by illiminator »

Hi

I recently created a graph to analyze and find knock since knock was audible at lower RPM, when I tried to run a datalog I received a message that the calibration was loaded with an older version and that I would need to re-load the calibration with the new version I have loaded on my PC (1.2.1.9) in order to be able to run datalogs. So I did.

I run a datalog and it indicated knock in the 5500-6250 RPM range and allot of knock between 2500-3500.
The car was originally tuned with 91 Octane so I waited for the gas tank to be empty and I tried the 94 Octane before reducing the ignition advance and this solved the knock at the lower end but on the higher end of the RPM I had to reduce it by 2 degrees and is now perfect.

The problem I noticed after loading the calibration with the new version of KManager (1.2.1.9) and even prior to these changes for the knock that the car jerks at lower RPM from 3500 downwards when decelerating. Note: I did not make any changes to the Calibration at this point of the RPM scale. Just wondering if uploading with the latest version might have caused this jerking and should I try reloading the calibration with an older version of KManager?

K-Pro
2003 RSX type S
Injen cold air
Vibrant Cat-Back
DC-Sport shorty Headers

Thanks
Razathorn

Post by Razathorn »

Did you re-upload your calibration from disk or download it and re-upload it. If you downloaded it from the ecu, it may have been corrupted.

Wayne
2003 black RSX type-s / jrsc @ 12psi / methanol injection / aftercooled
illiminator

Post by illiminator »

Uploaded from disk
Razathorn

Post by Razathorn »

Datalog of said jerking?
2003 black RSX type-s / jrsc @ 12psi / methanol injection / aftercooled
tryfe

Post by tryfe »

Is it the same as when you're barely going 1mph with just the clutch engaged and no throttle?
illiminator

Post by illiminator »

Tryfe,

Yes similar effect It's like being on first.

Wayne,

Find attached 2 datalogs as you requested.

Thanks for the help.

Frank
Attachments
DescelLog1.kdl
Descelerating datalog 1
(26.57 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
DescelLog.kdl
Descelerating datalog 2
(35.48 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
tryfe

Post by tryfe »

illiminator wrote:Tryfe,

Yes similar effect It's like being on first.

Wayne,

Find attached 2 datalogs as you requested.

Thanks for the help.

Frank
Looks to me like you're foot is on the gas pedal when you decelerate. I'm sure whenever you're feeling the jumpiness, it's when your TPS goes up, which mean's you got a heavy foot. That's just my assumption..
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

You need to adjust your TPS so that it reads 0% with the throttle closed. Also check that the cable is not too tight.
Hondata
bossman032

Post by bossman032 »

same problem here.

when I lift of gas it jerks.

maybe because most of the time I am in vtec.

to stop the jerks I keep my foot on the gas and slowly lift off.
fvang

Post by fvang »

I have also noticed this, but it occurred on previous versions also. I datalogged and it seems that when you decelerate, there is a jump in the cam angle to ~30-50 deg then back to 0. This quick change in the cam angle seem jerk the car maybe due to the quick air intake change.

Any help on this would be appreciated.
kornsined

Post by kornsined »

I can say i've had this issue too but I thought it was related to some IAC valve issues as well being turbo too. It's most noticable when the engine is cold.
2004 Civic EX Coupe
K20a3 RSX spec, Greddy turbo kit w/FMIC, Apexi WS II Turbo muffler, 3" custom ... mandrel exhaust, KPRO = 230.03WHP 213.16WTQ
2000Accord5sp

Post by 2000Accord5sp »

I have been having similar issues. Initially I thought it was just tuning since the TSX stock calibration provided by Hondata states that it needs work on partial throttle. I really noticed the problem when the car is cold but also while driving if I have to play around with the throttle around 1-10%.

Note, I realize that it's always been mentioned to make sure TPS is at 0% when throttle body is closed. I have a brand new throttle body from Honda so I assumed at 1% (when closed) should not be causing issues...or am I being naive?

While street tuning, my tuner noticed first off that the hesitation only occurs when TPS is under ~7%. What seems to be causing (at least in my case) the hesitation is that the injectors seem to turn off. You can see this in a few occurances on the datalog I have attached.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Note cursor positions such as 0:00:02.292, 0:00:06.017, and 0:00:53.512
Attachments
test.kdl
Note cursor positions such as 0:00:02.292, 0:00:06.017, and 0:00:53.512
(362.34 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
1993 Civic DX with TSX and EP3 Tranny
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

You have a different issue. The K24 draws more vacuum on overrun than the k20a and you're seeing a fuel cut based on vacuum, not tps.

Go into 'Parameters', 'Advanced' and set the low cam overrun cutoff to 15 KPa all the way acrosss.
Hondata
colinkao

Similar prob without mods

Post by colinkao »

I'm a newbie here and have had a similar problem. I've taken the car to the dealership multiple times and they can't figure it out. It has an abrupt jerk when initially stepping on the accelerator or letting off it. You can make it somewhat smoother by really feathering it, but you shouldn't have to concentrate that hard. I've driven manuals since I was 16, and I'm 34 now, so it's not my mediocre driving :) Does the K24 reflash affect this problem? If so, it would make driving the car so much more pleasant, especially for the queasy passengers! Thanks.
illiminator

Post by illiminator »

Sorry,

I wasn't able to get back earlier to give feedback on this as I didn't have time to adjust the TPS to read 0% I finally did and the results are the same. The only way I can get it to stop is by loading the stock calibration regardless of TPS 0% or 1% as it was from factory.
As soon as I load any of the calibrations that have been tuned for my setup the car jerks again.

So the issue is definately with the tuning of the maps somewhere.