vtec system malfunction HELP****

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
weltall

vtec system malfunction HELP****

Post by weltall » Fri May 06, 2005 11:10 am

okay driving to work today my cel came on and it wouldnot let me go past 4000 rpm's
i hooked up my laptop and went to the error codes and it said
VTEC system malfunction (oil pressure switch)
i am running the greddy turbo 440 cal in a ep3
with obd2 and p1167(o2 sensor heater) and p0134(o2 sensor response)
disabled (testpipe)

i tried clearing out the codes (no joy) came back on
i checked the oil level (good)

but still have cel and no revs
so i browsed through the kmanager and found under the vtec window in parameters
Vtec oil switch enabled
i unchecked it and the cel and rev problem went away(yay for me)
now my concern(s) is/ are
does my vtec still work ?
what potenially causes this?
how can i fix it?
or am i good and shouldnt worry about it anymore

sprinto7

Re: vtec system malfunction HELP****

Post by sprinto7 » Thu May 12, 2005 12:10 pm

weltall wrote: so i browsed through the kmanager and found under the vtec window in parameters
Vtec oil switch enabled
i unchecked it and the cel and rev problem went away(yay for me)
now my concern(s) is/ are
does my vtec still work ?
what potenially causes this?
how can i fix it?
or am i good and shouldnt worry about it anymore
I'd first worry about having oil pressure, then check to see if wire fell off VTEC oil pressure switch, if the wire is on and you have pressure make sure switch is good.
Del Long

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:33 pm

I also have is this Cel on my EGK20a. Admin please reply.

Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:48 am

The JDM K20A doesnot have the vtec oil pressure sensor. All others do and if you have the error, you should follow the Helms manual to diagnose the problem as you may damage your engine by just disabling the error and driving on.

weltall

Post by weltall » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:12 pm

well if i didnt have oil pressure id get an oil light right?
car seems to run just fine

Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:48 am

weltall wrote:well if i didnt have oil pressure id get an oil light right?
No, because the engine oil pressure light comes on at less than 5 psi and VTEC needs about 30 psi to work.

Use the manual to check the VTEC oil pressure switch wiring. Check all wiring near the VTEC solenoid for signs of heat damage.
Hondata

weltall

Post by weltall » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:54 am

changed oil re-enabled the cel

worls like a champ no cel(yet)
its been about a week

Mr Plow

Post by Mr Plow » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:23 pm

If you used say a 20w50, could that throw the code? Just curious.

Razathorn

Post by Razathorn » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:07 pm

Man, you should *really* get that thing in and have the oil pressure read at test rpm if you haven't already. When my drain plug fell out (thanks to a botched dealer oil change, hence I do most of my own work now, including my recent supercharger install), my dealer did a compression check, strained the oil through a paint strainer to look for particles on the oil coming out, and checked the oil pressure of the engine. They gave me the readings and let me review their service manual for what all the tests came back as (they were all in check, I killed the motor the instant I heard the drain plug fall out so there was no damage).

Have you examined your old filter to see if perhaps it was somehow disrupting oil pressure (not sure if that's possible to be honest with you, I don't know exactly how the oil travels in the motor).

Bottom line, I wouldn't feel safe without an oil pressure readout and results to compare. What are you doing running a turbo kit without an oil pressure gauge? It seems that any system (like the greddy that has a banjo bolt return line) that taps into the engine oil should also have an oil pressure gauge.

If vtec cannot activate, you are probably running around on the low cam, and the low cam past 6500rpm is asking to float stuff in the head.

Don't forget to follow hondata's instructions also -- this isn't something to just 'change the oil' and 'hope for the best' on in my opinion.

racing-honda

Post by racing-honda » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:52 am

Bottom line, I wouldn't feel safe without an oil pressure readout and results to compare. What are you doing running a turbo kit without an oil pressure gauge?
I have to agree with Razathorn on this one.
If you're pushing towards the limits of your engine like in a turbo setup, you need to make sure that essential things like oil, oil pressure and temperature are ok !!!
Gauges for oil pressure are not luxury or just bling...

Unless you have loads of money and don't mind to buy a new engine every now and then...

Razathorn

Post by Razathorn » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:07 am

racing-honda wrote:
Bottom line, I wouldn't feel safe without an oil pressure readout and results to compare. What are you doing running a turbo kit without an oil pressure gauge?
I have to agree with Razathorn on this one.
If you're pushing towards the limits of your engine like in a turbo setup, you need to make sure that essential things like oil, oil pressure and temperature are ok !!!
Gauges for oil pressure are not luxury or just bling...

Unless you have loads of money and don't mind to buy a new engine every now and then...
I myself still need to get oil pressure and boost -- then again i've only had my JRSC kit on for less than a week... then again it's kind of hard to overboost on a roots blower on accident, and I don't have anything tapped into the oil, but they're both on my list to get.

weltall

Post by weltall » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:19 pm

hey cool guy the car has been running fine
i followed what the manual says

and contacted norris prayonoto (kseries god)

im fine

STILL