Propoer A/F sensor for K Pro

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
sprinto7

Propoer A/F sensor for K Pro

Post by sprinto7 »

I have a small problem with my K20A2 engne swap.
The datalogged A/F ratio is always 11.48:1, the O2 always read 00.0, and the O2C always reads -37.0 MA.
I do NOT have a Honda A/F sensor, it's a wideband o2 sensor. I can read voltage usinf my digital voltmeter, but I never see any change while viewing through K Manager. (any version)
Is there a difference in voltage outputs from a standard Honda A/F sensor and generic wide band O2 sensor?
In other words is an original equipment Honda A/F sensor required for datlogging and tuning wqith K Pro?
PS The engine runs super and I'm very pleased with the whole Honda service.
Thanks.
Del Long
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

The stock Honda o2 sensor is not voltage driven - it is a wideband sensor which calculates lambda by measuring current through a cell in the sensor to match a voltage. This means:

- You can't measure voltage from the o2 sensor. Yes, I know datalogging shows voltage but the ECU is actually measing current.
- The only o2 sensor which will work with the ECU is the stock o2 sensor.
- The ECU will not be happy receiving a fixed voltage output from a narrow band o2 sensor or the output from a wideband controller.

Don't use anything other than the stock sensor otherwise you rish damaging the ECU (just in case you missed that point). Anyhow, why use an o2 sensor in a racecar?
Hondata
sprinto7

Post by sprinto7 »

Hondata wrote: Anyhow, why use an o2 sensor in a racecar?
You are correct the car runs fine without the O2 sensor.
I just wanted to datalog some "tuning" laps to see where my A/F ratios are.

I must have slept through the part explaing why you absolutely must use the stock Honda A/F sensor. Makes perfect sense now.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Del Long